Thread: Fuel line

Default Fuel line

I was going to replace a fuel pick up tube on my 08 mobius lsv and found a torn fuel line coming from the tube to the fuel filter. My question is can I just get any line from an auto parts store or does it have to be a marine fuel line? Does it also need to be a certain psi?

Thank you
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Where was it torn? Was it caused by the floor panel like mine?

USCG requires it to be marine rated. The concern is the permeability of the rubber (how fast fuel vapor is going to "leak" through the hose into the bilge). CA SMOG/emmissions requirements are now tighter than the USCG permeability requirement so most of the newer fuel lines meet this requirement but lack the marine rating. So "legally" it must be marine rated, but technically you can get better/safer hose that isn't...
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    Where was it torn? Was it caused by the floor panel like mine?

USCG requires it to be marine rated. The concern is the permeability of the rubber (how fast fuel vapor is going to "leak" through the hose into the bilge). CA SMOG/emmissions requirements are now tighter than the USCG permeability requirement so most of the newer fuel lines meet this requirement but lack the marine rating. So "legally" it must be marine rated, but technically you can get better/safer hose that isn't...
    I am unsure how it happened I've been having slight loss of power at surf speed and the next part I was going to install was the pick up tube. Trying to remove the line I noticed it was split.

Would you use a marine rated line on your boat or a normal car line being it is more locally available?
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

You have to weigh whether you want to risk a fire investigation revealing it may have been caused by a non-marine rated line you replaced against saving a couple dollars.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaneboats View Post
    You have to weigh whether you want to risk a fire investigation revealing it may have been caused by a non-marine rated line you replaced against saving a couple dollars.
    Marine rated sounds good!
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap