Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    So... has anyone wired the rocker switch to run 2 reversibles? I know the draw is too much for one switch but just haven’t figured out how a relay would work. I’m trying to avoid using a second set of switches. THX!
    I'm not running 2 per pump but I am using relays. It's pretty easy to setup and wouldn't be hard at all to connect multiple relays up in parallel like you're thinking. The only thing to consider is if you really want 5 pumps running at one time. I certainly wouldn't want to do that on battery and the stock alternator may not be enough so you'd be somewhere in between...
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    ... I certainly wouldn't want to do that on battery and the stock alternator may not be enough so you'd be somewhere in between...
    Good point on the alternator, I’m pretty sure I need to do that - probably another thread.

On the relays, are they before the switch or after? I don’t think the switch can handle the load (maybe an upgraded switch?) so I’m trying to understand how to wire relays after the reversible switch. Thx!
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

The toggle switches would drive the relay coil and the relay would switch the actual power lines to the pumps. The coil on the automotive style relay is commonly considered to be between 50-200 ohms, so you're talking 0.3A worst case scenario and you'll need 2 per pump to handle reversing - so figure 0.6A per pump (could be as low as 0.12A). Those rocker switches are rated for much more (20A?)
    2007 Mobius LSV

Ok so the whole time I’m trying to figure out how to wire multiple relays after the switch in a way that allows the polarity to be reversed on a regular automotive relay

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    The toggle switches would drive the relay coil and the relay would switch the actual power lines to the pumps.
    I think you’re telling me to use a polarity reversing relay. Something like this:

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/buy...sing-solenoid/

That would make the wiring substantially easier. Is that what you mean?

Thx!
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    HDPE Surf Platform

A relay like this...

relay.jpg

relay2.jpg
    2006 XLV

Yes, like bsharer's pic and you use two of them to achieve the reversibility. Like this:
    That's not my picture so no guarantees on the contact numbering but I'd guess it's right. The relay you posted would probably work too but it's probably not ignition protected. Be sure to get ignition protected relays (expolosion proof/"marine") if it's anywhere in the bilge/engine bay and frankly, I wouldn't use non-marine relays on my boat anywhere. These are sparky components just looking for some stray fuel vapor.
    2007 Mobius LSV

Perfect- that’s the diagram I was looking for. Thx!!!
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    HDPE Surf Platform

On my current GI setup I have the IBS piggy backing off of the ski locker. I had to put in ball valves to prevent over filling the ski locker (the panel wouldn't close) and also to stop the IBS from leaking back into the ski locker. Has anyone else run into this problem? Planning the GIII upgrade in the next few weeks and debating doing a piggy back for the IBS or just keeping the GI pump for the ski locker and a reversible on the IBS.
    2006 Mobius LSV
    New to boating and surfing