Default Upgrading GIII in 05 LSV

Hello all, newer to the forum as I picked up a 05 LSV earlier this year. Planned on wakeboarding, kneeboarding etc. as that was what we were able to do on the old I/O. After a few times of going out, picked up a surf board and have been pretty hooked since. Have the boat put away in the garage for the winter and plan on doing a few upgrades over the winter, with one been the ballast system.

The boat appears to have the standard one pump, 3 sprinkler valve manifold system with 750's in the back and a 450-500 in the ski locker.
    I have searched and read several different threads on this same subject, and still just trying to make sure that I am heading down the right direction as I know it can be done several different ways.

I was (and currently am) thinking that I want to put in two more aerator pumps w/ new thru hulls, and just ditch the manifold.
    Still need a little info before deciding which direction. Understand I would need to stick to mushroom style thru-hulls, but where I get a little lost in on vented loops and check valves...do I need them or do I still need a valve to stop passive filling

Why or why not, let me know

Pros-
    Potentially fastest fill times
    Less maintenance then reversible
    No damage if left running
    Cost (depending on all hose & accessories)

Cons-
    Air locking
    Passive filling/draining
    Lots to squeeze down below.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by FatalDarkness View Post
    Hello all, newer to the forum as I picked up a 05 LSV earlier this year. Planned on wakeboarding, kneeboarding etc. as that was what we were able to do on the old I/O. After a few times of going out, picked up a surf board and have been pretty hooked since. Have the boat put away in the garage for the winter and plan on doing a few upgrades over the winter, with one been the ballast system.

The boat appears to have the standard one pump, 3 sprinkler valve manifold system with 750's in the back and a 450-500 in the ski locker.
    I have searched and read several different threads on this same subject, and still just trying to make sure that I am heading down the right direction as I know it can be done several different ways.

I was (and currently am) thinking that I want to put in two more aerator pumps w/ new thru hulls, and just ditch the manifold.
    Still need a little info before deciding which direction. Understand I would need to stick to mushroom style thru-hulls, but where I get a little lost in on vented loops and check valves...do I need them or do I still need a valve to stop passive filling

Pros-

Cons-
    Air locking
    Passive filling/draining
    Use reversables, 750lbs in the rears, IBS, and a ghetto gate.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Built a surf gate early on, definitely changed the wave was planning on piggy backing an ibs of the center bag later on
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

Pros-

Cons-
    Air locking
    Passive filling/draining
    There is lots of info on this topic from back in the day, but the current system in your boat has three inherent flaws:

1. Single common fill pump
    2. Restrictive sprinkler valves
    3. No vent/overflow connection for the bags

In our experience, the easiest way to solve that problem is with reversible pumps, and unless you significantly discount your time, that is usually the method that adds the most value.

You can do the upgrade with aerator pumps, but like you mentioned, you'll have additional components to fit in the bilge compartment, and the extra effort and cost of adding vented loops. Additionally, because your stock intake is a scupper, you'll need to modify that to ensure you do not have passive draining though the pump that is connected to that intake. Additionally, for optimal functionality, you'll want to ensure you plumb an additional line for the vent/overflow connection off the top of the bag. When you switch to reversible pumps, you'll get that connection "for free" since you can repurpose the existing drain connection from the bag.

Hopefully that helps give you some additional info to make your decision.

Is there a problem with your factory fill system or a reason you want to upgrade the pump?
    I still don't understand the want/need to fill bags as fast as possible... but that's just me.
    I think you can break the sprinkler valves apart and remove the spring to gain some extra flow. Those valves are meant for pressure, not flow.
    My '06 24SSV had the same sprinkler valve system and it worked great, never had an issue. It took about 15 minutes to fill the center 1180 bag, an 1100 and a 750 in the rear. It takes almost the same to fill my new SA with the Enzo bags. To me that's just time to cruise or relax in the sun and think about how hard I'm about to crash! Lol
    Last edited by Broke Pilot; 11-15-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

I appreciate the info and opinions on a subject that gets beat to death. The system does currently work just as it was intended and I could live with it just fine. I am wanting to increase the fill times for the fact that we tend to try and make it out the the lake after work during the week leaving us with a couple of hours of decent riding. Between the initial fill up and that my wife and I ride opposite, so we usually switch sides once if not switch back. Because even with a shaper we still tend to list the boat slightly surf side. So just trying to be greedy with our limited time.

If I was going to go the reversible pumps, is the stock wiring and switches able to handle the draw,

I do like the idea of bags draining completely, as I have fought that a but with aerators.
    2005 Moomba Mobius LSV

If I was going to go the reversible pumps, is the stock wiring and switches able to handle the draw
    Switches: yes. Wiring: no
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold