Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default charging batteries

I have a ProMariner battery charger that I haven't gotten installed in the boat yet....could I use it to provide trickle charging to my batteries over the winter or is that too much stress to the batteries over several months?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

I would recommend calling the company as I don't see anything indicating a multistage charging. On the Amazon site I saw: "ProSports Energy Saver Mode will monitor and Auto Maintain batteries which would significantly reduce AC power consumption, lowering operating costs and maximize reserve power performance." The main importance is a low charging rate to prevent batteries from drying out so the bottom line is to extend battery life not save electricity. They sell their own maintainer systems so I would give them a call. I would expect these systems to maintain batteries but they advertise how fast they can charge batteries and how lightweight it is.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I contacted ProMariner and here was there response:

It should be fine for using over the winter. Just be sure you check the batteries monthly to be sure they have plenty of water and everything is ok.

ProMariner Support
    800-824-0524
    www.pmariner.com
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

I'm a firm believer in the battery tenders as they have one purpose and that is to keep a small charge on the battery and they won't overcharge and dry out the battery. Even by design with the power being a class B transformer the only failure point is it not working as it doesn't have the capacity to overcharge. The last couple of years I keep my battery installed with the tender operating continuously and with the boat covered I would never be able to check cell levels. I do check to see that it is working by plugging the cord into a Kill-A-Watt and see the power use. Adding water to a battery means either the battery is being overcharged or the battery is on its last legs and sulfating is occurring. I've had a bad experience with my motor home charging system that had a three stage system and it dried out the golf cart batteries so now I use the tender rather than try to figure out what went wrong. They are cheap and you can even find them at Costco. My boat uses the two pin connector but you can use a lighter plug if the receptacle is directly connected to the battery.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the battery tenders as they have one purpose and that is to keep a small charge on the battery and they won't overcharge and dry out the battery. Even by design with the power being a class B transformer the only failure point is it not working as it doesn't have the capacity to overcharge. The last couple of years I keep my battery installed with the tender operating continuously and with the boat covered I would never be able to check cell levels. I do check to see that it is working by plugging the cord into a Kill-A-Watt and see the power use. Adding water to a battery means either the battery is being overcharged or the battery is on its last legs and sulfating is occurring. I've had a bad experience with my motor home charging system that had a three stage system and it dried out the golf cart batteries so now I use the tender rather than try to figure out what went wrong. They are cheap and you can even find them at Costco. My boat uses the two pin connector but you can use a lighter plug if the receptacle is directly connected to the battery.
    So you would advocate using a battery tender instead??
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

I would. I'm not convinced the Promariner has that capability. For long term layup, you may not check the battery for months if at all and you'll see when it is time to get the boat ready whether the charger did it's job correctly. A tender should never draw down the liquid level of a battery not even a sulfated one even though the tender itself may be maxed out and actually serves no purpose in that case.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I picked up the NOCO Genius 4 bank charger two seasons ago and this will be my 3rd winter with it.
    https://no.co/g4
    It is expensive (less elsewhere) but I was tired at guessing about batteries and having name brand chargers go out every few years. I had this thing bring back to life one battery. They also have 1 & 2 bank chargers. I can trickle all four of my marine batteries at once or charge if needed. Nice accessories as well. Just plug in and it senses different battery types, charge level and voltages. Charge an AGM 12VDC along with a Pb 6VDC. IP64 rated also.

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I would. I'm not convinced the Promariner has that capability.
    If the OP provided his model number to promariner when he contacted them, then all speculation is over. Most any promariner built marine onboard charger released in the past 10 years, will be a multi-stage smart charger, designed to be left plugged in.

HUGE difference between a tender applying a very small but constant state of charge and multi-stage smart charger. The tender can eventually over charger or boil out the water during a long layup. A smart charger will only wake up and apply a charger, when its senses the the battery has dropped.

and having name brand chargers go out every few years. I had this thing bring back to life one battery.

I can trickle all four of my marine batteries at once or charge if needed.
    I see these types of statements in one sentence way to often. In almost all cases, the failed chargers were too small for the task. Choosing the right size charger for the job, and it should last.

That G4 is NOT an ideal charger for a boat, sorry to say. its only 1.1A p/bank and upto 40Ah combined max. A typical group 24 might be 65Ah, already exceeding the capacity of that G4. Not even taking into account, additional batteries on the boat. For a boat with 4 batteries, id want 3-bank min and at least 30A output. You want a charger that actually have the ability to recharge a depleted bank. The G4 would be better suited for toys and lawn equipment.

if al all possible, leave the batteries in the boat. Too may spring time calls with engine wont starts, stereo wont power up, helm is dead, etc, all due to a rouge battery cable that got overlooked. Not to mention, the crossed cable resulting in a blown breaker, ECM or alternator. If you have a LONG winter layup and access to 120AC, invest in a good on-board smart charger and leave the batteries. For a short layup, good batteries with a full charger, will survive the winter just fine left in the boat with the main battery switch turned off.

The G4 and the Tender are both adequate for battery layup in a fully charged state. The Tender does have a variable charge rate but ineffective for large batteries. The Tender will never ever boil out a large battery at 750ma and a shutoff at 80 hours whereas a so called smart charger will continue to charge a sulfated battery until it gets to the next level that it may never reach.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    I have a ProMariner battery charger that I haven't gotten installed in the boat yet....could I use it to provide trickle charging to my batteries over the winter or is that too much stress to the batteries over several months?
    What model pro sport do you have?

I have the pro sport 20 dual bank and I've been quite happy with it. I used to just use the cheap $8 harbor freight float chargers, but I've found that it's really hard to tell when they crap out. The led on the harbor freight ones will light up by being plugged into the wall OR the led will light up when connected to a battery (when the plug isn't plugged into the wall).

I'd use the pro sport personally and call it good.

Also, I think most people say "trickle charger" when they're talking about a "float charger". Trickle means it get a tiny bit of voltage no matter what. Float chargers shut off the juice when the battery voltage is topped off.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com