Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The G4 and the Tender are both adequate for battery layup in a fully charged state
    So lets say someone has a 2 bank setup consisting of, say, 4 batteries total. 1 main cranking, 3 house. After spending 6 hours at the sand bar blasting the tunes, then a 15 minute ride back to the dock/ramp, I can assure you that 3 battery house bank is not at a fully charged state. Now what? One charger to recharge and then a maintainer for the winter? The proper charger of your brand choice, will do both. Like the NOCO Gen series if thats the brand you are partial to.

Cant comment on "the tender" without knowing a specific model. But to say " they have one purpose and that is to keep a small charge on the battery and they won't overcharge and dry out the battery" seems like a contradiction to me.

Also, promariner makes a number of models. Since no specific model is named here, maybe not paint them all with the same brush.

It's an older model that I purchased from one of the forum members - here is the model...looks like its the Gen 2 and not sold anymore except at Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pro-Marin...l13=&veh=sem):

prosport12.jpg

As far as the conversation with ProMariner, I did not supply the exact model number and they didn't ask.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (101.2 KB, 37 views)
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - ballast: 900# rears / 400# center / 650# IBS
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

2003 SeaRay 182 -- gone but not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    That G4 is NOT an ideal charger for a boat, sorry to say. its only 1.1A p/bank and upto 40Ah combined max. A typical group 24 might be 65Ah, already exceeding the capacity of that G4. Not even taking into account, additional batteries on the boat. For a boat with 4 batteries, id want 3-bank min and at least 30A output. You want a charger that actually have the ability to recharge a depleted bank. The G4 would be better suited for toys and lawn equipment.
    I should clarify how I use this. When I have four batteries on maintenance I have two AGM from the boat and two PWC AGM. When I am doing a charge I am only doing one at a time. I have had zero problems using the G4 whatsoever.

They also have a waterproof 10A and 7.5A per bank charger as well if needed. https://no.co/products/charging/onboard For my use I don't need it and it is way expensive.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I followed up with ProMariner support to let them know I have an older model and this was their response....

Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 10:16 AM
    To: mikenehrkorn
    Subject: RE: Pro Mariner Contact Us Message

Yes, that is one of the last generation chargers. But if you check your batteries regularly you should be fine.

ProMariner Support
    800-824-0524
    www.pmariner.com

>> From: Mike Nehrkorn
    >> Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:01 AM
    >> To: ProMariner Support
    >> Subject: Re: Pro Mariner Contact Us Message
    >>
    >> Just to confirm, the model of ProSport that I have is a bit older (Gen 2 I think - see attached pic of the side of the unit) - that would still be ok, correct?
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - audio: Exile SXT9Q x 2 towers / Kicker KM65 x 6 cabins / Xi 12 sub / Javelin & XM15.4 amps / ZLD
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

@mike,

Mount the charger, connect the bank cables directly to the batteries, make sure the main battery switch is off, make sure the battery cells are topped off and plug the charger in. Once a month, power cycle the charger by disconnecting and reconnecting the 120AC

@mike,

Mount the charger, connect the bank cables directly to the batteries, make sure the main battery switch is off, make sure the battery cells are topped off and plug the charger in. Once a month, power cycle the charger by disconnecting and reconnecting the 120AC
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help
    Mike

2013 Outback V
    - FAE
    - DIY suckgate

Quote Originally Posted by mikenehrkorn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the help
    I’ve used an onboard promariner dual bank on all of my boats plugged in throughout the entire winter. They automatically check the system, charge if needed and maintain. In maintain mode they provide a pulse charge which desulfates the batteries. I got 10 years out of 2 31M diehard platinum marine batteries using a similar onboard charger.

I have 2 31M 135AH AGM batteries at $325 each and want them to last as long as possible.

Whatever charger you use, make sure it’s compatible with your batteries. Many of the inexpensive battery maintainers and chargers are not compatible with AGM batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

MLA, I am new to boat ownership and just purchased my first boat. The boat has a ProMariner installed and I just wanted to confirm that I should have the battery switch turned to off position when using the ProMariner. Also is it recommended that I use the ProMariner after every outing?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Outback V

Yes switch off. We dont want the charger to supply any parasitic draws, as it keeps the charger in a charge mode, and go into float mode. On a dual bank setup, it lets the charger take care of each bank individually.

The promariners are designed to be plugged in and left. The main cranking bank will likely not need any charger between uses, and the charger will sense this. Depending on use, the house bank may or may not need recharging.

Yes switch off. We dont want the charger to supply any parasitic draws, as it keeps the charger in a charge mode, and go into float mode. On a dual bank setup, it lets the charger take care of each bank individually.

The promariners are designed to be plugged in and left. The main cranking bank will likely not need any charger between uses, and the charger will sense this. Depending on use, the house bank may or may not need recharging.
    Let's assume that I have everything wired correctly and don't have any "parasitic draws". Is there any problem/harm with leaving my perko in the 'on' position for one of my battery banks? (leaving the switch set to "2" while plugged into the ProSport)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com