Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perfect Pass needed to wake surf?

Hello,

New to the forum and recently bought a used 2004 XLV with hopes of setting up to surf. I really could not justify buying a new boat and having a payment as a beginner family to the sport so I bought the first clean boat that I found local. Boat is nice and great space/storage. One thing I did not realize is it did not come with perfect pass/cruise control set up. I am assuming most of you are using something? I see Ride steady makes a $1200.00 retrofit system, just don't know that I want to spend the cash for it as I will be buying ballast bags etc.
    I would like see if anyone else has had success with manual throttle controlling.

Thanks Tom

Here is picture from last week with quick test trip to Lake Perris

lake perris 2.jpg

Speed control is a must for any to sports.

Are you married? Speed control is way cheaper than a divorce lawyer. Pays for itself.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

You can surf without perfect pass, but it will be hard to hold the same speed/rpm without it. Your ride will not be as consistent since the throttle will have to be varied the whole time. If you prop down it may make it easier to hold the same speed verses a higher pitch prop. I would budget for cruise, new prop, ballast, and wakeshaper!
    Jeremy

2018 Malibu 23 LSV
    2010 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu VLX - Sold
    1999 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu LXi - Sold
    1997 Malibu LX - Sold
    1994 Mastercraft PS205 - Sold
    1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes - wish I still had

Can you surf without Perfect pass? Of course you can. IF you're a good driver. Anything is possible and yes, it'll make it necessary to really pay attention to your throttle inputs.

Is perfect pass helpful? OF COURSE. it's fantastic to have. And it really allows the driver to focus on everything else (rider, debris, depth, etc) without speed control taking over some of your attention span.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Speed control is a must for any to sports.
    How did I ever wakeboard and ski before prefect pass existed? Oh the humanity!?!?!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Trayson all alone over there in the "no' column

Im a damn good driver, which is exactly why I understand the benefits of speed control and want it. Allows you to better watch the rider, lake and other traffic and NOT have to babysit the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    Trayson all alone over there in the "no' column

Im a damn good driver, which is exactly why I understand the benefits of speed control and want it. Allows you to better watch the rider, lake and other traffic and NOT have to babysit the throttle.
    He said "need". It's not physically required. I sure as hell WANT it on any boat I'd own. Even my 92 had it. And I wouldn't own a boat without it.

That said, my buddy had a Tige 22v and it didn't have perfect pass. That didn't stop us from surfing it when we happened to be on his boat. it's a fantastic tool and I completely agree with you about its benefits. But I wouldn't give up surfing on a boat just because it didn't have PP.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

P.S. to the OP, there's a handful of people that have upgraded from the more rudimentary "Moomba cruise" to a perfect pass or zero off system. While I wouldn't be satisfied with Moomba Cruise, I'd imagine it'd be better than nothing and could likely be purchased for cheap.

Also there's a "ride steady" system that's similar to Perfect pass that you could look into. Personally, I ride on a river with a strong current most the time and I think the GPS systems are garbage. And I've had it happen a couple times when riding/driving with a GPS system where we went under a bridge and lost GPS signal and the boat started accelerating like crazy (undoubtedly to the throttle position) and it was scary and downright dangerous. Paddle wheel for me.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    He said "need". It's not physically required. I sure as hell WANT it on any boat I'd own. Even my 92 had it. And I wouldn't own a boat without it.

That said, my buddy had a Tige 22v and it didn't have perfect pass. That didn't stop us from surfing it when we happened to be on his boat. it's a fantastic tool and I completely agree with you about its benefits. But I wouldn't give up surfing on a boat just because it didn't have PP.
    I think you've taken his "need" too literal and I certainly know you took my "must have" too literal. Its a must have as in must have option, cream of the crop, cats meow, yada yada yada. Im sure most anyone that consumes o2, knows all those things can be done without speed control.

Has it been winter that long already