Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New board

Default New board

Anybody ride the Phase 5 Hammerhead? I got to try a Doomswell Neo behind the new SA. It was fun but they are thick boards like a real surf board. Seemed heavy, and not that it matters a whole lot, harder to store and carry on the boat since I don't have pockets and the PTM clamp rack aren't big enough.
    I want something that will spin easily and can pop pretty good off the lip. My Byerly Buzz is just too locked in, even after playing with the fins. If I remove all of them I'm just not good enough to control it, I'm realistic here... lol
    So, Hammerhead, Neo, one of the Soulcraft boards, any other rec's? Inland? Soulcraft doesn't put great descriptions of the boards like Doomswell and phase 5.
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Since you are in TX, have you looked at Chaos Wakesurfboards?
    http://chaossurfco.com

I have a Doomswell Neo and I want to pick up one of tge Chaos boards from Nick too! Think I will go with a hybrid style surfboard from him.
    Jeremy

2018 Malibu 23 LSV
    2010 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu VLX - Sold
    1999 Malibu VLX - Sold
    2001 Malibu LXi - Sold
    1997 Malibu LX - Sold
    1994 Mastercraft PS205 - Sold
    1985 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes - wish I still had

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    Anybody ride the Phase 5 Hammerhead? I got to try a Doomswell Neo behind the new SA. It was fun but they are thick boards like a real surf board. Seemed heavy, and not that it matters a whole lot, harder to store and carry on the boat since I don't have pockets and the PTM clamp rack aren't big enough.
    I want something that will spin easily and can pop pretty good off the lip. My Byerly Buzz is just too locked in, even after playing with the fins. If I remove all of them I'm just not good enough to control it, I'm realistic here... lol
    So, Hammerhead, Neo, one of the Soulcraft boards, any other rec's? Inland? Soulcraft doesn't put great descriptions of the boards like Doomswell and phase 5.
    Step 1 - Determine what style of riding you want to do. From that choose surf or skim. The Buzz is really a hybrid. Your riding will progress faster within each style and overall if you ride the right equipment for each. If you are into surface spins and shuvs go skim. If you are into airs, hacks, or spins above the lip go surf.
    Step 2 - Choose a manufacture. If it's surf Soulcraft and Chaos are great choices. Nick and Jeff are experts. A surf style SC or Chaos will not feel heavy. They will probably be in the 4-5lb range @ 4-6" in length. Do not put a SC or Chaos board in the rack even if it fits. Def do not put in a bimini sleeve either. If it's skim I would suggest Exile or Victoria.
    Step - Get out and rip
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Sweet! I'll look at the chaos boards. Didn't know they were local
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    Do not put a SC or Chaos board in the rack even if it fits. Def do not put in a bimini sleeve either.
    We were putting them in the aisle but found that once you have 4+ people in the boat it was cumbersome getting to the bow. We had planned to build a sleeve-bimini next season. This is the first time I've heard someone say you shouldn't use one. What are the reasons for not using a sleeve bimini? What are the alternatives? We typically have 3 boards on the boat.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    We were putting them in the aisle but found that once you have 4+ people in the boat it was cumbersome getting to the bow. We had planned to build a sleeve-bimini next season. This is the first time I've heard someone say you shouldn't use one. What are the reasons for not using a sleeve bimini? What are the alternatives? We typically have 3 boards on the boat.
    Nearly all manufactures use EPS foam and epoxy resin. Neither will do well in heat. Especially not a black bimini sleeve in the hot sun. As the EPS starts to off gas the board will delaminate.
    '13 Mojo

Do you normally keep them in board bags in the aisle? Was thinking that if you made a sleeve bimini out of silver/reflective fabric you could mitigate the heat on the board. Also saw some under-bimini holders but that would be a more complicated DIY project.
    2021 Mojo, 6.2L Raptor 400/1.76, Acme 3407 15.5x13, G6, Flow3, +6500 lbs ballast
    2005 Mobius LSV (sold)
    Windermere Lake, B.C., 2800' Elevation
    2021 Mojo Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    Do you normally keep them in board bags in the aisle? Was thinking that if you made a sleeve bimini out of silver/reflective fabric you could mitigate the heat on the board. Also saw some under-bimini holders but that would be a more complicated DIY project.
    I would keep them away from the bimini over or under, reflective fabric or not. Board bags or socks in a safe place on the boat. You don't want to pay $800+ for a board and use it only once.
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Broke Pilot View Post
    All the EPS boards are gonna be "thick like a real surfboard". That means soulcraft, Doomswell, Parker SC, Chaos... they should all be the thicker, lighter, more buoyant and fast boards.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Caution: not all EPS are the same categorically. Choose a craftsman that shapes it by hand and gives it the bottom contours that make it fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk