Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New board

[QUOTE=dakota4ce;317726]Caution: not all EPS are the same categorically. Choose a craftsman that shapes it by hand and gives it the bottom contours that make it fast.

There's a lot of magic that goes into the bottom contours on every board. Def. makes a huge difference. What do you think works for you and your crew?
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

If I was on Conroe all the time I wouldn’t consider anything skim style, I hate to ride skim in chop.
    86 Supra Sunsport
    16 MB Sports F21

We have a Hammerhead and more and more people are riding it on our boat and liking it. We are really only riding skim now and only have one surf style left but that is us.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden View Post
    We were putting them in the aisle but found that once you have 4+ people in the boat it was cumbersome getting to the bow. We had planned to build a sleeve-bimini next season. This is the first time I've heard someone say you shouldn't use one. What are the reasons for not using a sleeve bimini? What are the alternatives? We typically have 3 boards on the boat.
    Circling back to the bimini sleeves, etc. What Chris says is correct, the black denier of a bimini can bake a board. It hot climates it can bake a board so hot that it melts the foam. Delamination is often something different. You can get a delamination from melted foam, but it is more often caused by outgassing or really foam with too much air in it. Not all EPS is the same. There is good EPS and bad. As a safe guard in the past we use to always put in vents that allowed the board to equalize to an extent. Modern EPS made for surfboard manufacturing does not require this. I haven't had a board delaminate in years. That does not mean you cannot make it happen.

The best place to put them in my opinion is get some straps or a rack that go on top of the bimini, with some simple pads and use a board bag. The Board bag becomes your sleeve. You hook, strap or secure the board bag, then just shove the board in when not using it. A good board bag will keep your board looking new for years. A wet board sock also works in normal bimini sleeves to keep the board cool.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Circling back to the bimini sleeves, etc. What Chris says is correct, the black denier of a bimini can bake a board. It hot climates it can bake a board so hot that it melts the foam. Delamination is often something different. You can get a delamination from melted foam, but it is more often caused by outgassing or really foam with too much air in it. Not all EPS is the same. There is good EPS and bad. As a safe guard in the past we use to always put in vents that allowed the board to equalize to an extent. Modern EPS made for surfboard manufacturing does not require this. I haven't had a board delaminate in years. That does not mean you cannot make it happen.

The best place to put them in my opinion is get some straps or a rack that go on top of the bimini, with some simple pads and use a board bag. The Board bag becomes your sleeve. You hook, strap or secure the board bag, then just shove the board in when not using it. A good board bag will keep your board looking new for years. A wet board sock also works in normal bimini sleeves to keep the board cool.

Nick
    Thanks for this info Nick. Really appreciate your insight.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com