Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Winterizing a 2008 340 Indmar

So I have a couple of questions:

If I run my boat up to temp and drain the water from the Muffler, exhaust hoses, 2 block drains, does that get all the water out? I would like to then run antifreeze through it but I am afraid it will cool off at that point and the thermostat will be closed?

I have had a couple of my neighbors tell me they just run their boat up to temp and then immediately switch to 5 gallons of antifreeze and call it good, that seems a little risky to me?

Any advice welcome as I want to do this myself, last year my dealer charged me $350 to winterize and I thought that was way to much after I had already changed the oil!

i just drain is all and leave it empty, so there's nothing to freeze.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Default Winterizing a 2008 340 Indmar

^^x2. Me as well. Drain it all. Push air thru ballast lines and call it winterized. I also shop vac all the water out so that any water in engine compartment is gone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz
    2007 LSV - Sold
    2003 Outback - Sold

Trayson,

We have the same engine. Would you mind telling me what all you drain?

I've always ran the boat to temp and then run antifreeze through until it comes out the exhaust. That way I knew antifreeze was everywhere. Just dumping the manifold and drains doesn't get all the water out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

same engine in an '06 model. did the same winterization for 6 years and never an issue but I don't leave it outside.
    the goal of draining is to get most of the water out. you will never get it all out. water expands as it freezes so as long as it expands into the passages and does not meet resistance, nothing will "break".

I drained the following iirc:
    -2 plugs- 1 on each side of the engine on the big grey exhaust manifolds. seemed to me that one of the exhaust manifolds had a hose to remove as well but it's been a few years. it was easy to see and remove.
    -2 plugs- 1 on each side of the engine block that have a knock sensor attached. down low and a contortionist to get to.
    -main hose on the vdrive/trans unit that comes from the water intake. large and double hose clamps
    -heater hoses both going and coming.

once all drained I always drove to a dock ramp close to the house and backed the boat down to drain all the water out of the bilge. I figured the trip over and back bounced most of the water out.
    some will say this was wrong but I never pull the impeller during winter. I just changed it every other year with a fresh and never had an issue. some will say pull and store but to each their own. .

this was my routine and never an issue with both the ext340 in the supra and followed the same process with the pcm ex343 in the last boat.
    good luck
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    Trayson,

We have the same engine. Would you mind telling me what all you drain?
    Like said above, 1 plug with a knock sensor on each side of the block. port plug on the bottom of the black muffler cross piece. Unscrew the hose that connects the two exhaust manifold risers (by the vdrive). I disconnect a hose that's going to the water pump and a hose that's going to the tranny cooler. I disconnect the hoses that are going to/from the heater. I blow air through all the various openings. basically everything sandm said. In theory there's a drain plug on the vdrive somewhere. I read about it, and it had never been touched. I tried briefly to break it loose, but decided to pass and not mess with it.

Disconnect my ballast bags, drain them and put them in a big rubbermaid bin. Blow more air through hoses. put 3+ fans and some damp rid in the boat to dry out the carpet that never seems to be dry at the end of the season.

Then I cover the boat, and start dreaming of steep, deep powder snowboard days...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I run it. Drain the block (2 plugs) and manifold hose that connects the two manifolds (should have a disconnect).
    While the block is draining I quickly disconnect and run compressed air through the heater core.
    I then hook up the no-freeze to my indmar water strainer that has a hose connection and run 6-8 GAL through.
    It is very nice to have a helper for this job.
    2017 Axis T23
    2014 Supra SC350 Sold
    2012 Outback V - Sold

I've been doing some research on the thermostat configuration recently and it sounds like when it's closed, the water enters the engine but isn't allowed to exit to the exhaust. With that setup, the antifreeze will fill regardless. I'm going to try this out next weekend on my 320.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Well did the W today. Here was my process:

Ran boat and changed oil.
    Drained exhaust using the hose connection.
    Pulled engine block plugs
    drained muffler.
    pulled intake hose off V Drive and used shop vac to suck water out.(plugs would not budge on V Drive)
    Pulled thermostat out and filled block with RV Antifreeze
    Started boat and ran 7 gallons of RV Antifreeze though it.

Does that sound like I am good?

One thing I forgot to do was pull the J hose off the water circulating pump and off the raw water impellor. But I did drain the rest of the water and ran 7 gallons through so should not have been much water left to dilute. I am in KY so we don't usually go below 0*.