Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I wouldn't make that gamble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To each their own. Been doing it this way since I've owned the boat and never have issues. Many others do it this exact same way.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra 20V

Quote Originally Posted by JHutch View Post
    So DOC your saying that even with the thermostat closed antifreeze will go in the block?
    IF YOU HAVE DRAINED THE BLOCK. YES......NO, IF you have water in your block.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

This is for all the dumb dumbs out there who think they can just suck up 5 gal of antifreeze in their raw water cooled indmars and get all excited when they see pink coming out the exhaust that they have properly winterized their motor.

Water is drawn in thru a large hose by the raw water impeller and sent to the thermostat housing. On empty start up water will pass they the housing to the j tube , down into the circulating pump and into the block filling it to the thermostat which is closed. At this point no more will enter the engine allowing the motor to warm up to temperature. The excess water will be diverted to the exhaust manifold and out thru the muffler. When the engine temperature hits 161 the thermostat will just start to open a bit. 161 degree water will seep out the thermostat allowing impeller water to enter thru the j tube and circulation pump mix with the hot cooling back to 160 where the thermostat will close again or just remain a crack open to maintain 160. At higher rpms and temps the flow will increase and the tstat will open more if needed to maintain 160.
    Therefor at idle sucking up 5 gallons of antifreeze, when the block is all ready full,is useless as most will bypass the j tube and go directly to the manifolds.

Now , there is about 3-4 gallons in the block and another 1 in the intake pipes and since any dilution of antifreeze significantly reduces its effectiveness these need to be drained

Also note that it takes 2-3 times longer for your oil to come up to temperature so it to has a cooling effect on the block coolant even when it first reaches 160
    Last edited by DOCDRS; 11-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I drained all the water out of the system, and replaced all the hoses and plugs. I want to fill it with antifreeze. I have a fake a lake, and 7 gallons of antifreeze.

Whats the best way to get antifreeze throughout the system? Just run a hose from the fake a lake into a bucket of antifreeze and let the motor run til it comes out the exhaust?

Then the last question, once the antifreeze is in the motor, spray fogging oil into the throttle body to fog the motor?
    2019 Supra SL450

Yes, use a 5 gallon bucket with your fake a lake. Remove the spark arrestor first and fog near the end of the antifreeze pickup.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

If you have catalytic converters, do not fog.

2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Never been a fan of fogging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Supra SA 400
    2018 Supra SA 400 (SOLD)
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    If you have catalytic converters, do not fog.

Thanks. Good to know.
    2019 Supra SL450

I got on this thread late but it is a repeat every year at this time. After 30 some years of having an inboard, I never used antifreeze. In fact, the use of RV antifreeze is rather recent and was originally used for shops to prevent people from coming back with claims. There was nothing to prevent people from using the boat after it was winterized and then failing to re-winterize. Some shops would leave lines disconnected and expect you to come back in the spring but that wasn't always the case. The antifreeze will reduce internal corrosion since the compartments are void of air but I never had any corrosion so bad as to replace any parts. Antifreeze is money and time spent with very little value added.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I got on this thread late but it is a repeat every year at this time. After 30 some years of having an inboard, I never used antifreeze. In fact, the use of RV antifreeze is rather recent and was originally used for shops to prevent people from coming back with claims. There was nothing to prevent people from using the boat after it was winterized and then failing to re-winterize. Some shops would leave lines disconnected and expect you to come back in the spring but that wasn't always the case. The antifreeze will reduce internal corrosion since the compartments are void of air but I never had any corrosion so bad as to replace any parts. Antifreeze is money and time spent with very little value added.
    I'm doing it for extra peace of mind, since this is the first time I've not paid a shop to winterize (I looked at that as basically an insurance policy). $20 worth of antifreeze is cheap peace of mind.
    2019 Supra SL450