Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

lets hope it was to an unsuspecting mastercraft owner that has more money than the ability to read a post on a moomba forum
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by dusty2221 View Post
    Wow. Wonder how the buyer would feel knowing "didn't use it as much as I thought I would" actually meant it was awful to ride even by experienced foilers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    ^^^ T putting the sale on some poor unsuspecting soul. Never knew what hit him....introductions and then T was gone $1k richer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I certainly didn't advertise it on ebay that way. I posted up a description of the item, what was included, and so on. I wasn't dishonest or misleading in my ebay ad. But it's not like I need to post up a whole bunch of negative dialogue.

I have another buddy of mine that was able to ride my old foil pretty well. and I'm a way better surfer than him and equal at wakeboarding. But he Put me to shame. And who knows, maybe my friend that had the slingslot didn't like the LF because he was used to the slingshot. My ego didn't like to hear that I'm the weak link and that I suck, so of course I jumped at the idea that it was "the equipment" rather than me!

Just because I was mediocre with it behind a boat, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't be successful where I failed. And the guys at liquid force said it was more designed for kite, so for all I know the person that bought it is a kiteboarder and will rock it well. It's not like LF put out a lemon. they sold lots of these and continue to do so. I'm probably the lemon!

Maybe I would have gotten it, but it got too frustrating for me to keep trying when I had other watersports to do, so I moved on to an easier board because I had the employee pricing.

It's like buying a Sportbike and realizing that I needed to cruise on a Harley.
    Last edited by trayson; 11-14-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

This exactly is why I am building a Clearwater foil for a couple hundo before I leap into the foil game!

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Sounds like a good swap for you. Must have been a little frustrating to have a $1K foil that is next to impossible to ride.

When you fall on those, are you face-planting or falling back?
    Most of my falls happened when the foil crests the surface of the water and then slams the board down. When that happens, I usually got ejected forward while the board dug in behind me.

Sometimes I'd get off Axis riding and if go one way while the foil went the other. I luckily had no crashes where I hit the board or blades.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Most of my falls happened when the foil crests the surface of the water and then slams the board down. When that happens, I usually got ejected forward while the board dug in behind me.

Sometimes I'd get off Axis riding and if go one way while the foil went the other. I luckily had no crashes where I hit the board or blades.
    Foiling is only cool if you are Kai Lenny in the open ocean. Google it.

Pro Tip: Sell foil #2 and get a another surfboard......
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Disagree. I am interested in the foil on our lake when the chop develops. Something to do! But I prefer surfing FOR SURE. And my homemade foil will be $200

I spent a few minutes on the CW foil site. Just the 5 piece foil kit is $135. Then the expectation is you glass all the components. I would use 4oz e-glass and resin research epoxy. If you get the 2100F hardener (f for fast) you will have about 25 min working time. Greenlignt surf supply or foam ez will have what you need for small orders like this. If you’ve never worked with fiberglass be sure to wear gloves and long sleeves this stuff will make you itch, especially when you are sanding.

You could paint the wood with acrylic paint b4 glassing or use resin tint in the epoxy to add down color. Another option would be to go to boardlams.com and have some custom lams made up and glass them in.

When you are glassing and sanding be sure not to change the shape of the foil as even a subtle leading edge or trialing edge change could ruin your day.

Not sure what board you are going to bolt it to but be sure it’s reinfoced correctly. One point of interest is usually you can adjust the foil forward and backward to help learn. Do so research on positioning and be prepared to start in one spot and move as you progress.

Post some pics of the build

Let us know how many hours you end up having into building this.
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by muehlcj View Post
    I spent a few minutes on the CW foil site. Just the 5 piece foil kit is $135. Then the expectation is you glass all the components. I would use 4oz e-glass and resin research epoxy. If you get the 2100F hardener (f for fast) you will have about 25 min working time. Greenlignt surf supply or foam ez will have what you need for small orders like this. If you’ve never worked with fiberglass be sure to wear gloves and long sleeves this stuff will make you itch, especially when you are sanding.

You could paint the wood with acrylic paint b4 glassing or use resin tint in the epoxy to add down color. Another option would be to go to boardlams.com and have some custom lams made up and glass them in.

When you are glassing and sanding be sure not to change the shape of the foil as even a subtle leading edge or trialing edge change could ruin your day.

Not sure what board you are going to bolt it to but be sure it’s reinfoced correctly. One point of interest is usually you can adjust the foil forward and backward to help learn. Do so research on positioning and be prepared to start in one spot and move as you progress.

Post some pics of the build

Let us know how many hours you end up having into building this.
    Will do for sure. It’s winter here, so I need something to do. The CW proprietor has some great vids which I watched. Nothing seemed too scary.

He paints afterward, which is what I thought to do. I really don’t care how it looks to be honest. Decent is good enough for me.

I have 2 board options: a wooden Victoria debut grom or a Ronix power tail. I guess or a generic plank. Not sure what I will choose.

Thanks for the message and tips! I have my glass and resin already, even have gloves. Just have to start!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would definitely recommend painting first. Consider the fiberglass clear. Once you wet it out with epoxy you will be able to see right through it like it’s not there. If they don’t recommend it I would brush on a hot coat of epoxy in each component and sand down smooth. 120 to start, 150, 220 and 400ish wet sand.

RR epoxy is 2:1 resin to hardener by volume. Make sure it’s 100% mixed. Slow to med stir for 2-3 min. Don’t whip it or stir to fast as it will introduce air. It is critical that it’s 10O% mixed.
    '13 Mojo

Roger that. The guy that sells them paints them afterward, but I️ definitely consider your recommendations.

How could 6-10 coats of cloth be clear? The cloth is white at the outset. I watched his videos, it’s sorta cloudy/clear it appears.