Default VDrive oil type please advise

Hello.... I was getting ready to do an oil change on my VDrive unit and noticed a discrepancy. This summer I bought a '12 Mobius LSV and intend on doing the maintenance/service/winterization myself. I used to do my previous I/O and consider myself pretty decent with a wrench.

However when I went to begin with SAE #30 oil...I noticed this sticker directly in my VDrive unit placed from the moomba/ or indmar factory.

So I stopped and decided to dig further.

Both my Moomba manual

And my Walters VDrive manual

Indicate that I should use SAE #30 oil

I'm positive I have a Walters VDrive model RV 26D

Soooo what do you guys think? .... I'm leaning toward SAE 30 oil but can't figure out why molmba/indmar put this sticker on my VDrive unit that says to use 15W40... What do you guys think?

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo

I put the 15w40 in because the sticker is there

On my 08 it said use 30 so I did.

The manuals are printed in a bulk application and if they do updates or changed the manuals already printed aren't updated.

The biggest difference is the cold warm viscosity rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Walter v drives typically get 30W non-detergent motor oil. Not AFT and not multi-vis motor oil.

With permission of the manufacturer, we changed the oil that we install in the Walter v-drive to 15W40, the same oil we recommend for the engine. There has been no detrimental effect noticed from this change and it makes it easier for the customer and for us as well. The Walter v-drive is pretty tolerant on the oil type so the change to 15W40 was pretty much a non-issue. The oil recommendation change was made in later Indmar operator's Manuals.
    Larry Engelbert
    Indmar Marine Engines
    "Power to the Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by Engine Nut View Post
    With permission of the manufacturer, we changed the oil that we install in the Walter v-drive to 15W40, the same oil we recommend for the engine. There has been no detrimental effect noticed from this change and it makes it easier for the customer and for us as well. The Walter v-drive is pretty tolerant on the oil type so the change to 15W40 was pretty much a non-issue. The oil recommendation change was made in later Indmar operator's Manuals.
    Thank you for the insight!

I appreciate you taking the time to explain!

2012 Mobius LSV (Sold)
    2020 Mojo