Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buffing the paint.

Getting ready to store boat for winter and trying to get it all cleaned up and buffed for storage. The black portion of the hull has stains that will not come off. I wash my boat with mild car soap every time I take it out of the lake. When you look closely, its like the clear coat does not cover certain portions of the black portion of the hull. Even before it was obviously stained, I could run my fingers over the paint and the parts that stained were noticeably rougher than the shiny, unstained portion. It also seems like the only portion of the boat that did this was the hull below the rub rail. I tried buffing it out to no avail. The red and white paint portions are fine, unnafected.
    Anyone seen this happen, any thoughts,recommendations? Any product I can use to restore the shine.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 Yamaha Waverunner(Just to fool around)
    2018 F150 Lariat
    sport edition, 3.5lt ecoboost

same thing happened to my mostly black hull.

The gray part of the hull was fine

I did store it outside.

2009 OBV
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

To restore the shine on my old Moomba I used RECOLOR. It worked awesome. It deposit a fine polymer later if the paint and restores its hue and shine.
    https://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can get it off Amazon to, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

First, you need to understand that a boat in neither painted or clear coated. Gel coat is a whole different animal from an automotive finish. In some cases it needs different products and in most cases, needs different techniques.

Did you polish the gel coat with a polishing compound using a foam applicator on a variable speed rotary polisher or use a waxing type compound and a wool applicator on an orbital?

What products and methods have you actually used? Sounds like it needs a compounding or wet sanding at the minimum, then polish next, finish with wax.

Hi,
    Good advice from MLA.. this is what I do for mine:
    1) after washing, squirt 3M finesse glaze onto the hull and then use a wool polishing pad attached to medium speed machine to apply it evenly.
    2) your boat will now be covered in a fuzzy haze, so use a buffing pad or microfiber towel and clean up. you don't have to get it perfect because you still have to apply wax.
    3) apply wax and buff that out
    Production details: 3M Marine Finesse-It II Glaze "After compounding or anytime the gelcoat needs a boost in gloss"
    2017 Axis T23
    2014 Supra SC350 Sold
    2012 Outback V - Sold

Honestly it will help to see (post some pics) of the damaged area to try and help properly. Boats are gel coat not painted and cleared. We try to take the least agressive way first when doing corrections. You can use car products on your gel coat for most corrections, don't worry, Marine product just lasts a bit longer. Your removing manufacturers product either way. Unless it's gel failure, then nothing but a re-gel will work. There are several ways a person can tackle the problem from a simple Polish to wet sanding. If it feels rough, it's either something on the surface of the gel coat or the gel coat is oxidizing. We need to know which it is to suggest the least aggressive way and a pic may help. Take a few different angles if you could. If you don't want to post pics, You can Try to clay bar the area first to see if it's something above the gel coat, Use vinegar as the slip agent. It could be hard water deposits. If the vinegar/clay does nothing try to move to a rotary or DA With a cutting foam pad or wool pad with a medium compound to start. Then go heavier in the compound if it doesn't seem to come off easy. When your using a rotary or DA, you are removing gel coat or manufacturers product so be careful if you have never done deep corrections.
    2018 Supra SL550
    2017 Supra SE450

The photo in the middle is from the gull above the rub rail. You can hopefully see the difference. The white discoloration won't come off. I used griots paint sealantwith a soft sponge applicator.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 F150 Lariat

I use a product call Zing. It's hydrochloric acid so I do a 50/50 mix of Zing and water. I use a soft brush to apply it (no muscle required - just run the brush over the gelcoat), rinse it off with the hose and wash it with soap and water. At this point, everything is gone down to the gelcoat. I then wax it with Meguires Marine Wax. My boat looks like brand new after completing this process. One note, because the Zing is an acid, you need to wear rubber gloves and cover you skin. If any of this mix hits your skin, it will burn.
    twkoehn
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1100s in rear lockers
    750 lb IBS
    Acme 1847

Quote Originally Posted by twkoehn View Post
    I use a product call Zing. It's hydrochloric acid so I do a 50/50 mix of Zing and water. I use a soft brush to apply it (no muscle required - just run the brush over the gelcoat), rinse it off with the hose and wash it with soap and water. At this point, everything is gone down to the gelcoat. I then wax it with Meguires Marine Wax. My boat looks like brand new after completing this process. One note, because the Zing is an acid, you need to wear rubber gloves and cover you skin. If any of this mix hits your skin, it will burn.
    Do you somehow cover or mask the unnafected part? It is only the black pain affected.
    Will this over time, I mean multiple applications over time, eat through the color on the gel coat? How thick is the color. Will this affect the metal flakes? I guess I don't know if the pain on gel coat is a superficial thin layer versus deep into the gel coat.
    2020 Supra SL 400
    2015 Moomba Mojo(Sold)
    2018 F150 Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by Isaguel View Post
    The photo in the middle is from the gull above the rub rail. You can hopefully see the difference. The white discoloration won't come off. I used griots paint sealantwith a soft sponge applicator.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    The first pic is hard water deposit. Use some vinegar from the store, 5% -9% is fine, it will say on bottle. Put on rag and wipe until it dissolves. Then wax or seal.
    No need for compound or anything aggressive
    Last edited by TrueKaotik; 10-13-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    2018 Supra SL550
    2017 Supra SE450