Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Common probs

08 LSV 490 hours, purchased used. Just be aware of what you buy. I am an auto technician and have knowledge and experience on lots of vehicles. You will need to be mechanically inclined or well off. Things will break. This forum is great and (engine nut) larry , works at indmar and he is amazing, and super helpful. Before you buy, ask for service records, and if you buy go through boat when you get it, full tune, cap rotor, plugs and fluids. that way you have a great new start point. If you are handy and can find a few deals its like 175$ to do all fluids cap rotor plugs and all filters.
    I have never experienced the vapor lock and I live in the humid new Hampshire, but other then that like I said, pumps go bad, it does take some time to fill and yes 10 year old vinyl does wear out, upgrake the prop to an acme if it has the oj on it. smoother and no drone noise.

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    One common problem with these boats is that you can get the surf wave dialed in and then you'll have to live with yourself knowing that you have have a better wave than most boats for which people paid twice as much money. Seriously, I feel guilty.
    Yes, this one is a HUGE problem. We do have a therapy group though. It meets right here:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....highlight=love
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Mostly what has been said except for the vapor lock for me. A 10 year old boat of any type is going to need some TLC. For our XLV's 10th season it got new vinyl, swim platform, some stereo upgrades but nothing majorly broken. Little things are going to happen as people mentioned but I am more than happy with what I have. The bones on these are good, hull, motor, trans, V-drive are solid which is what really mattered to me.

Added reversible pumps and larger ballast when we got it, Fresh Air Exhaust and home made SuckG8 and those were the biggest impact items which you will need to do with pretty much any boat anyway to get the wave that people above were raving about.

If anyone tells you they have a 10 yo boat and nothing ever goes wrong no matter what brand, don't listen to them. It is part of the game but this boat is a great one to get. You don't have to do all of these upgrades mentioned at all. You can choose what to do and when but if you are a DIY person you will get addicted to modding.

Oh about that wave everyone was talking about...

2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I love our 2006 XLV. Ive had it for 5 seasons now. It was the best bang for the buck for this size boat when I was looking. Tons of storage and lots of seating. Probably cant find another boat this size at the price. Moomba cruise is awkward, but it works well for what it is. Ballast fills slow with the factory pump and valves. Thats about it that I dislike about it. But neither of them bother me other than thinking it could be a little better. Like it was said above the in floor cooler = trash can. You can reuse the factory bags under the middle seats on either side and piggy back the rear bags, and not have any bags on the seats in the way. Puts out a fantastic surf wave with 3000# or more of ballast and a suck gate stuck to the side. The only real problem I have had with the boat from time to time is that the RPMs get hung up about 1300 when going into neutral some times. Quick little stab of the throttle and it goes back to normal.

Last edited by bsharer; 10-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    2006 XLV

As 5:00 said, really good bones. Tell us how you intend to use it and we can help with the upgrades you might want.

I bought my '07 in '14 and for me, a marine survey ($300-500) was money well spent (especially for a private party sale). They will go thru everything and whatever they find helps with the negotiation process.

And yes, I do enjoy the therapy sessions on the other thread. I've done all the mods. At this point, I could spend 3x more on a new boat to get better cupholders. Or I could follow Trayson's LED thread. . .
    Last edited by Leebo; 10-11-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

What is this vapor lock y'all talk about? Is it an issue when riding at surf speeds I think my boat may get this as it feels like the engine is choking something like that

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Mostly what has been said except for the vapor lock for me. A 10 year old boat of any type is going to need some TLC. For our XLV's 10th season it got new vinyl, swim platform, some stereo upgrades but nothing majorly broken. Little things are going to happen as people mentioned but I am more than happy with what I have. The bones on these are good, hull, motor, trans, V-drive are solid which is what really mattered to me.

Added reversible pumps and larger ballast when we got it, Fresh Air Exhaust and home made SuckG8 and those were the biggest impact items which you will need to do with pretty much any boat anyway to get the wave that people above were raving about.

If anyone tells you they have a 10 yo boat and nothing ever goes wrong no matter what brand, don't listen to them. It is part of the game but this boat is a great one to get. You don't have to do all of these upgrades mentioned at all. You can choose what to do and when but if you are a DIY person you will get addicted to modding.

Oh about that wave everyone was talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    What is this vapor lock y'all talk about? Is it an issue when riding at surf speeds I think my boat may get this as it feels like the engine is choking something like that

I originally thought it was some torn exhaust hosing but after replacing them the issue still persists

Quote Originally Posted by stx.dead.I View Post
    In this case it causes the motor not to start. Without getting into it deeply it is an issue with the fuel pump and it can't pump. Pouring cold water over the primary fuel pump solves the issue. It happens after running it for some time, turning it off and trying to start again. I believe it happens mostly on very hot days. There are tons of threads on this. I have only had this boat for four seasons but it has never happened and we get some pretty hot days in Northern Virginia.

If something like this happens at higher speeds it could be starving for fuel, clogged fuel filter, bad pump, may need a different prop etc.

You should start a new thread on it so we don't jack this thread too much and you will get the help you need that way.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I have a 2007 xlv gravity games and was thinking of buying a new Axis. Went out with a buddy who just got a 2019 T22 and his surf wave does not compare to mine what so ever! I have suck gate, 1100 rear and 1250 bow center locker. I do have the vapor lock issue from time to time so will try the 100% gas and blower from now on. I would love to put the dry decking down with no carpet. Thanks for reassuring me .. 80K for new boat just saved lol

I have a 07 xlv.. can you explain the ballast upgrade..thats my biggest negative complaint.. WAITING on all 3 to fill is a pain.