Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Common probs

Default Common probs

Looking to buy 2006-2008 Moomba XLV or LVS. Any common issues I should look for?
    Last edited by Condor; 10-09-2017 at 10:53 AM.

In 2008, the XLV changed hull and interior. So if you can find one that's 2008, that would be cool.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

With a boat that old the vinyl might be splitting and the carpet matted down.

Other than not many common issues other than the following:
    1) Vapor lock in hot weather, change fuel filter and run blower more often. If it happens dump cold water on the fuel pump
    2) Smelly center locker, pull bag and mat, clean the mat and center locker with simple green
    3) Slow or stuck ballast pumps, see wake makers for upgrade
    4) Built in cooler more of a trash can than cooler
    5) Drives like a pig with full ballast, upgrade prop.

Of the 3 Moombas I have had I wish I would have kept the 2007 XLV.

I have a 07 LSV that I absolutely love and have had very few issues. I think Patrick covered most of the things I have addressed in my boat.

1. Vapor Lock. I get it from time to time and just learned to open the engine hatch, run the blower while floating around, or dump cold water on the fuel pump.
    2. smelly center locker. I took out my mat, and keep it really clean. I put a plug in the hole that goes to the back of the boat so no water from the engine compartment goes into the locker. still has some smell in there but it's not a big deal.
    3. I upgraded to reversible ballast pumps and it's a great improvement. You don't have to upgrade the ballast system but it's nice.
    4. I cut out the built in cooler and it's a perfect size to put a removable AO cooler. Much much better
    5. upgraded my prop for surfing and it's great.

the only other thing is there is a 40+ page thread on "water trapped under ski locker". Bottom line is a lot of people have water trapped under the ski locker and have drilled a hole to suck it out. There is a big debate on if you really need to or not. The thread is in the service/repair section if you want to read up on it. I had a little water in mine but not a big deal.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190

Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Looking to buy 2006-2008 Moomba XLV or LVS. Any common issues I should look for?
    Nothing that should stop anyone from buying one.

I had the vapor lock (once) on my 2007 Supra. Once I started using non-ethanol fuel, never had the issue again.

When you buy a 10yo boat, I would be more concerned about the interior condition of seats and cylinder pressure/compression.
    2018 Supra SL400

Love my 07 XLV. Would buy again.

It vapor locks but I use ethanol free gas now and haven’t had it happen in 3 years. Ballast system takes over 20 mins to fill to surf weights...am upgrading to réversibles this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Love my 07 XLV. Would buy again.

It vapor locks but I use ethanol free gas now and haven’t had it happen in 3 years. Ballast system takes over 20 mins to fill to surf weights...am upgrading to réversibles this winter.

The ballast system and surf platform was the best upgrade I did.

The Wet Sounds are pretty nice too.

2018 Supra SL400

My 06 LSV is for sale. Asking 31.5k if I have vinyl redone. If someone buys it as is that is negotiable.

I replaced my perfect pass with gps which was a lot of money but worth it.
    As far as other issues the guys have covered what I know of... even though I've never experienced vapor lock on mine. I never worried with the water in locker since mine was always stored inside my basement.
    If I was keeping the boat, my next upgrade was reversible pumps. If you get mine or not, you will love the LSV they are awesome all purpose boats.

We have had an 08 LSV since new. about 700 hours now, (maybe 750, i haven't been in for a couple weeks) we love the boat. mostly small trips to the local lake, but also big trips to lake powell and similar destination type places. This has been a solid boat that serves our family very well.

very well addressed above. we have the same probs, vinyl sucks, carpet is matted down bad, vapor lock happens, usually only on the first tank of the season, but solution is easy, black swim deck stuff is horrible, we changed to gator grip in the first year and still glorious. have really not had any mechanical problems, other than things that were my own fault, i say buy the boat and have some great fun!
    19 Mondo
    08 LSV, forever loved

One common problem with these boats is that you can get the surf wave dialed in and then you'll have to live with yourself knowing that you have have a better wave than most boats for which people paid twice as much money. Seriously, I feel guilty.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold