Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY custom surfboard project

Hey guys, with the season coming to an end here in Canada, I'm looking for a project to keep me busy this winter. I've decided that I'm going to pick up some gear and have some fun (or maybe pull my hair out) building my own board. So far I think I've decided that I'll get my supplies from green light surfboard supply and use one of their "ws series" blanks.

I guess I'm just hoping to have a discussion about it, hopefully you guys have some suggestions, pointers, insight into shape , fins, etc. This will be a labour of love, so I'd like to get it right the first time. TIA

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Paging Parker Surfcraft ....
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    Hey guys, with the season coming to an end here in Canada, I'm looking for a project to keep me busy this winter. I've decided that I'm going to pick up some gear and have some fun (or maybe pull my hair out) building my own board. So far I think I've decided that I'll get my supplies from green light surfboard supply and use one of their "ws series" blanks.

I guess I'm just hoping to have a discussion about it, hopefully you guys have some suggestions, pointers, insight into shape , fins, etc. This will be a labour of love, so I'd like to get it right the first time. TIA

Dude awesome! Guys at GL are great dudes. Shoot me e-mail [email protected]. I'll help as much as I can.
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Holy crap, looks like I hit the jackpot here! Really looking forward to picking your brain. Thanks man, I'll be in touch soon.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Let me guess it will have a Rider motif!

Quote Originally Posted by yukon2007 View Post
    Let me guess it will have a Rider motif!
    Hahaha. Oooh boy.. I was thinking I'd try and get some plum crazy purple metal flake to match the boat.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

I made a 3 boards last year for a winter sanity project. Overall it was a fun learning experience. One of my boards didn't surf very well but the others are great. Check out the following link, it has some good info. http://www.surfersteve.com/introduction.htm Here is a youtube video of steve's process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m4XBSIM8b4

Andrew has another helpful video series on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCVo...rxwF5od6gqvX07

Greenlight is a good spot to purchase some of the supplies and they have a good help center.
    IMG_3432.jpgIMG_2633.jpg
    2016 Mojo

I am looking forward to using proper EPS foam this winter. My previous projects were done with cheap XPS foam I purchased from Menards. I had some bonding issues with the XPS. My board that didn't surf well had too much rocker, especially in the tail. Planning to build a 4'-10" version of the phase 5 hammerhead in an effort to get better at shoves. The hammerhead is only available in a 4'-7" version that is on the edge of being too small for me. I also plan to build a ~5'-8 fun board but i haven't worked on the design yet much.

Best of luck to you with your board building. I warn you that it may turn into an obsession.
    2016 Mojo

Nice! Thanks for the links. The more I research, the more questions I have. Haha. I haven't reached out to Parker surfcraft yet because my mind is blown just from reading all the how to on the greenlight site. I don't even know where to begin.

Pura Vida, how did you decide on rocker? Did you do any concave on the running surface?There isn't a ton of info online about shaping boat boards. Seems like staged rocker would make more sense for a fast surf style boat board, but maybe I'm wrong.

Any designs you would recommend? I'm wanting to build a lightning fast surf style board that is slashy and airs well.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Do a search on this on wakeworld. Guys were doing this as far back as 2004. Some very interesting designs.

One guy was surfing a bathroom door, one a board from cardboard

Some of the names I recall are "Bigshow" and "surfdad"
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)