Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default steering wheel alignment

my steering wheel is out of alignment (or my rudder) is there i way to correct this?
    2013 outbackv

In what way? wheel not straight when boat going straight? Is this at idle or on plane? Most likely you will get one or the other but not both. Boats dont track like a car. Move one person and the boat tracks different, requiring different steering input. As long as the wheel moves equal number of turns all the way port all the STBD from a centered rudder, you might be chasing a rainbow colored unicorn in getting a straight wheel.

i secured the sub around the little steering cylinder under the dash that caused the problem i think but while wide open throttle across the lake have to hold the wheel 90* to the left and it just happened this year
    2013 outbackv

SO some portion of the woofer's weight is supported by the pinion portion of the steering cable? Could be possible that this caused the rack to jump a tooth or two on the pinion. Center the rudder and count the turns stop to stop. Should be the same. But as noted, the steering input at idle can be different then on plan.

yeah i think it jumped a tooth can a guy just crack that open and move it back?
    2013 outbackv

Just, its much same as replacing the cable/rack assembly. Usually 4 bolts loosen up the rack from the pinion. center the rudder, separate the rack, center the wheel, reengage the rack to the pinion.

Lastly, re-secure the woofer in another fashion.

k thanks and yeah i have to get some l brackets like under the seats to screw it to the floor
    2013 outbackv

soo... the bar that goes back to the rudder behind the engine is loose any one know if there is a way to adjust?
    2013 outbackv

The tiller arm to rudder? The tiller is often keyed to the rudder and use a pinch bolt to secure it.

its the arm that comes down beside the engine and hooks to the rudder it is flopping around in there
    2013 outbackv