Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Boat Speaker Advice needed.

Forgive me, I am not an audiophile.

My boat came with the most basic system from the factory and I would like to upgrade during the winter.

Here is what (I think) I want:

(I plan to keep the Stock Moomba Fusion Stereo head-)

1. Replace existing 4- in Hull Speakers.
    2. Add 4 new Tower Speakers.
    3. Add 2- 10" subs
    4. Amps and batteries to power it all.

Suggestions on what to get for all?

Thanks!
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Budget? Towers usually dont come cheap. Goal of nearfield or wakeboard distance?

Any reason to favor 2 10" subs opposed to a single 12" or bigger?

1 and 2 are easy enough with budget parameters. I'd assume the answer to #2 will provide the answer to #1 or else I'd stay factory, imo.

3 gets a little more technical and usually requires a box build. Are you doing this or paying a shop to do?

4 is driven by the answers to 1 through 3.

My suggestion? Easy ... Wetsounds.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

1) plenty of quality build and good sounding marine built speakers out there with varying sound signature, grill designs and price points. Wet Sounds Revo and SX/SW-65i series, JL MX650, Kicker KM654LCW and Rockford MP262.

2) Is the reason for 4, looks? Id stick with an 8" or 10", regardless. Too many good options there, to go with a smaller 6.5". Plenty of options like the Wet Sounds Rev-10 or 8, Icon-8, JL 8.8, Kicker KM8, depending in goals. With the right setup, only a single pair might get the job done and come in less expensive then 4 pair of smaller speakers.

3) Not at opposed to two 10's if they can be done effectively. I would also consider a single 12" in a ported enclosure as an option.

4) once the final speaker options are decided, amp choices fall in line. Battery setup will be steered by use. As a minimum, id suggest a dual bank setup with at least one group 29/31 size deep cycle.

Exile Audio has some hot deals going right now. You can always call them and talk to Brian about setup and ideas if you need advice. Great folks to work with.

http://exileaudio.com/store/hot-deals.html
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    1) plenty of quality build and good sounding marine built speakers out there with varying sound signature, grill designs and price points. Wet Sounds Revo and SX/SW-65i series, JL MX650, Kicker KM654LCW and Rockford MP262.

2) Is the reason for 4, looks? Id stick with an 8" or 10", regardless. Too many good options there, to go with a smaller 6.5". Plenty of options like the Wet Sounds Rev-10 or 8, Icon-8, JL 8.8, Kicker KM8, depending in goals. With the right setup, only a single pair might get the job done and come in less expensive then 4 pair of smaller speakers.

3) Not at opposed to two 10's if they can be done effectively. I would also consider a single 12" in a ported enclosure as an option.

4) once the final speaker options are decided, amp choices fall in line. Battery setup will be steered by use. As a minimum, id suggest a dual bank setup with at least one group 29/31 size deep cycle.
    I am loosely trying to mimic my neighbors setup. he has 4- rockford fosgate tower speakers, 2-JL 10" Subs, and I am not sure about his other speakers or amps, but will find out. His system is pretty intense. And I think the oldies on the lake are not a fan of it.
    The last boat I had, I dumped a bunch of money into the system, and was never happy with it. It had a 12" sub, and 4 tower speakers. For some reason ( probably me) it never performed well. I thought I would post this to see other recipes. I imagine a budget of about 5k or so?
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    I am loosely trying to mimic my neighbors setup. he has 4- rockford fosgate tower speakers, 2-JL 10" Subs, and I am not sure about his other speakers or amps, but will find out. His system is pretty intense. And I think the oldies on the lake are not a fan of it.
    The last boat I had, I dumped a bunch of money into the system, and was never happy with it. It had a 12" sub, and 4 tower speakers. For some reason ( probably me) it never performed well. I thought I would post this to see other recipes. I imagine a budget of about 5k or so?
    We can spend hours dissecting your old system to figure out why it did not perform well. To not end up in the same boat, I suggest working with a credible retailer installer to design the system based on your goals. Some one that has experience with a variety of marine products. Even the most premium products can under perform if the application and execution are flawed. They can also assist through the installation and tuning after the sale, if you are going DIY.

Clearly define your goals. Build the system that meets these goals, rather then design a system that fits a dollar amount. Then see where the price comes in at. You are better off increasing the budget and doing the build in two stages, then scaling back the design to come in at budget. Slimming down can easily put you back where you were with the previous boat. Good money spent, but not happy.

So you have good advice from KG and MLA, two guys that really know their way around marine audio. I'll only add this. No concrete reason to go either with one 12-inch sub or two 10-inch subs. Both options can get the job done. However, your previous experience and dissatisfaction with a 12-inch sub should not deter you from using a 12-inch sub again. There are countless potential reasons why your 12-inch sub under-performed, but I can assure you that none of them are related to the subwoofer size. I'm going to recommend a 12-inch sub if the required cabinet size fits your boat. And the cabinet size and fit is where you should begin. That will determine a) the enclosure loaded method, and b) the subwoofer size. Just a few measurements and a good audio dealer will make quick work of providing the better option.

Kaneboats had some good advice as well with the Exile deals going on right now. The Xm9 is great and that javelin amp is awesome for a 5 channel. As always, you can't go wrong with Westsounds, but all Exile with a 2 year warranty isn't bad either. Make sure to get a proper install and tune or you won't be happy with anything. Best of luck, post up when you get it figured out.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

From an exile amp manual:

LIMITED WARRANTY
    Exile warrants this product to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for a period of one year from date of original purchase when
    purchased from an Authorized Exile Dealer. If the product is labeled B Stock/Refurbished and purchased from an Authorized Exile Dealer, it is warranted for 90
    days from date of purchase, regardless of place of installation. Should service be necessary under this warranty for any reason due to manufacturing defect
    or malfunction during the warranty period, Exile will replace or repair (at its discretion) the defective merchandise with equivalent merchandise at no charge.
    Warranty replacements on B-Stock merchandise may have cosmetic scratches and blemishes. Discontinued products may be replaced with more current
    equivalent products. This warranty is valid only for the original purchaser and is not extended to owners of the product subsequent to the original purchaser. Any
    applicable implied warranties are limited in duration to a period of the express warranty as provided herein beginning with the date of the original purchase at
    retail, and no warranties, whether express or implied, shall apply to this product thereafter. Some states do not allow limitations on implied warranties, therefore
    these exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights; however you may have other rights that vary from state to state. This
    warranty is only valid within the USA, for warranties outside of the USA consult the appropriate international distributor
    From a Wet Sounds amp manual:

LIMITED WARRANTY 17
    Length and limits of Warranty
    Wet Sounds warrants this product to be free of defects in material or workmanship
    for (2) years from the date of purchase. Wet Sounds warranty applies exclusively
    to the original purchaser, not transferable and the amplifier must be purchased
    from an Authorized Wet Sounds Retailer within the United States. All products
    purchased outside of the United States are covered by the Authorized Distributor
    or OEM supplier. Any and all warranties not to exclude merchantability or fitness
    are limited in the duration to 2 years. This warranty
    Kicker marine amp:

ELECTRONICS LIMITED WARRANTY
    When purchased from an Authorized KICKER Dealer, KICKER warrants this product to be free from defects in material
    and workmanship under normal use for a period of TWO (2) YEARS from date of original purchase with receipt
    JL M series marine amps:

U.S.A. Warranty Information - Marine Amplifiers and Electronics

JL Audio Marine Amplifiers and Electronics are warrantied against defects in materials and workmanship for Two (2) Years from purchase date. JL Audio will, at its discretion, repair or replace any products that exhibit defects in materials and/or workmanship during the warranty period.

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded