Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do dealer test drives damage new engines?

I recently tested 3 new boats from 3 dealers. In each case, the boats were new and never in the water, so 0 hours. Each dealer immediately ran the boats full throttle at max RPM's within 10 minutes of testing the boats. This goes against all the manufacturers suggested break-in procedures, right? I bet most dealers do this and I wonder how many engines are damaged as a result, though I've read the newer engines require less break-in period. Still, max RPM on a fresh engine, yikes!!!
    ADM

2018 Craz

Then run em all at WOT for their lake test at the factory anyway. Don't think there is any getting around that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

2 schools of thought:
    -break in slowly at varying rpm's for a predetermined amount of time/miles.
    -let the rings land hard and break the engine in as you will actually use it.

I was a proponent of the first for many new vehicle/boat/motorcycle purchases until i watched a show on discovery about the honda and kawasaki factories in japan turning out sportbikes. both companies, once the bike is assembled, roll to a dyno and run them for minutes at varying rpm's including a full throttle run for north of a minute to get a final dyno reading and ensure they are at the advertised HP ratings. my zx6 had a 16,500rpm redline so it's not lumbering some engine along. amazingly enough after taking delivery the manual states some crazy long break in. after seeing this, I have not followed break in on 2 sportbikes, 1 sports car, a sedan and a boat- all purchased new- with nary a problem and none had any oil usage.

my only advice is do what you feel is right for you.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

They don't make you break in cars or trucks , so I think these engines are fine
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

An engine is an engine... I build them all the time. I don't break them in. If it's got oil pressure, Run it. It's more important to get an oil change in quickly (first 500miles or equivalent hours for an airplane/boat) than a break in. These are full roller motors as far I know, so there's no seating in lifters on cams, push rods on rockers and all that fun old school stuff.
    Crank it, rip it. That's what a warranty is for
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

^^ great advice. Grip it and rip it. Oh wait that's golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Close enough brother! Lol ^^
    Overkill is underrated

2006 Supra 24SSV Gravity Games- traded but never forgotten

2017 Supra SA 400

After roadracing motorcycles and watching winners literally pop the tire by burning it down. I dont think you can hurt most motors.
    I have heard them banging the rev limiter for over 2 minutes (until the tire pops) with no issues. In fact to win the next weekend on the same motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

No! These engine can be driven in a manor that they are intended, right from the start. Break-in is a 99% CYA.

I think, if you have never owned an inboard before, just cruising around a different RPMs for 10 hours is a great idea so you learn to drive your boat. As for the engine-- LOL!
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!