Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    Does it even get cold enough in GA to winterize? I don't fog, never have and will reach -30. My dads family used to own a marina and they did not fog either. Maybe we're old school and the newer engines need more love during the winter months?
    Fogging is just to protect the cylinders from pitting causes by moisture in the cylinders.

That's why if you just start the engine periodically you won't have an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >
    [COLOR="#696969"]

Yes it gets cold enough to winterize in GA. When I bought my first boat 6 years ago my father in law did the whole "I've never winterized by boat in 20 years and haven't had a problem" speech. He's been through 2 blocks in the past 6 years, he now winterizes. Although fogging won't save a block blowing up, draining the motor of the water does that.
    2016 Craz

So my dealer/mechanic told me (after I had already done it) to never fog these engines here (DFW).
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Not going to catch me doing it again!! Haha

2017 Supra SA

As you can see, there are different opinions on this.

It all comes down to the comment by MMANDLEY: it's done to coat the cylinder walls for moisture. Remember - cast iron is porous and if it's dry (no oil), it rusts fast IF WATER comes in contact. Fogging will help minimize cylinder rust if your boat will be sitting for months where temperatures are changing significantly.

When I grew up it was a common practice on carb engines and outboards. I recall reading the Merc manuals on it. Putting fogging oil down the carb to coat values and cylinders. We changed plugs about every-other-year.

Where is the EngineNut on this topic?
    2018 Supra SL400

At the risk of offending a few people here, a lot of people's opionions don't mean jack. Why would people not trust indmar/Ford who did all the testing on these motors. If they shouldn't be fogged, the manual would state to just drain them for winterizing. If the fogging oil would damage the cat/engine in anyway, they wouldn't tell people to fog the motors.

Even if you have xx years experience in your personal motors, indmar/ford has tested these motors many lifetimes over more hours than anyone else has experience with. I doubt any dealers charge less for winterizing by not performing this fogging.
    2016 Craz

I was referring to one of the best indmar certified mechanics who instructed me to never fog these engines here in our climate. When I informed him that was what the manual said to do, his response was that wasn’t what indmar had instructed him.

Btw, have fun fishing the little red spray extender out from your cylinder chamber when it shoots off the spray can
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody929 View Post
    I was referring to one of the best indmar certified mechanics who instructed me to never fog these engines here in our climate. When I informed him that was what the manual said to do, his response was that wasn’t what indmar had instructed him.

Btw, have fun fishing the little red spray extender out from your cylinder chamber when it shoots off the spray can

That Doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy. Are you saying indmar techs are taught to winterize a motor differently than the manual that indmar supplies on how to winterize a motor?
    Last edited by lsvboombox; 09-19-2017 at 11:36 PM.

When you change the oil for winter storage just add a quart of lucas oil stabilizer. Dont bother with foggining. It destroys modern engine sensors and burn up catz
    Work to live!!
    2015 mondo
    Aviator tower
    Auto flow
    94 rinker 180 gone

Manuals cover asses and keep lawyers away.

2017 Supra SA