Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    161

    Default fogging raptor motor

    First winter with my craz and first time with a catalytic converter marine engine. I am used to fogging the motor by spraying down into the throttle body, which I understand is a no no on the catalytic converter engines. So I have read to pull each plug, spray fogging oil, and bump the motor to move the oil around. Couple questions. I understand the raptor engines have 16 plugs. Do I need to remove all 16 or just one per cylinder? Also can I remove all 8 or 16 and then bump the motor or do I have to do individually by cylinder? Do I bump the motor with the plug out or back in? If out, do I need put a town or something blocking the open hole or will oil blow out there? I am assuming you guys all bump the motor with the safety lanyard pulled so that it wont start?
    2016 Craz

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    West Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Without getting into specifics about your motor, pull the lanyard (or distributor coil wire, for those that have one and no lanyard) first. I like to spray, bump, spray into each cylinder. That just gets a little more coating of the oil in the cylinder (not 100% guarantee, just better). I always have towels on hand when working with any fluids around the boat, just good practice. But you probably won't get more than a drip coming out.
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    Bumping the motor w/o a plug will cause some oil to shoot out of each cylinder.

    You can fog all at once.

    There are different options about fogging with or without spark plugs and running a chance to foul a plug. I bump mine w/o the plugs to avoid it.

    Yes on the lanyard.

    Are you referring to the Indmar site when they talk about the Raptor motors:
    DUAL SPARK PLUGS
    Time proven, aviation grade dual spark plugs provide more power per liter and redundancy in emissions systems and more efficient combustion leading to increased fuel economy, reliability and cleaner emissions. Dual Spark plugs also extends the spark plug service life to 300 hours.
    2018 Supra SL400

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North End Lake Lanier GA
    Posts
    8,107

    Default

    Why are you fogging at all

    You realize when you start the engine next season you will burn that through the cats.

    I've never fogged my boats and they have sat 9 months in Oregon before.

    I've never fogged my Vette when it's in storage.

    Get away from the old mentality of fogging.

    You don't need to jeopardize anything in your engine.

    Honestly it's safer to just go start it for 30 seconds once a month

    You won't hurt the impeller and you won't overheat the engine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >

    https://vimeo.com/59208513?from=outro-local

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lake wallenpaupack PA
    Posts
    872

    Default

    From indmar,

    "Indmar does not recommend applying fogging oil while
    the engine is running. The fogging oil could damage the
    catalytic converter. The cylinders must be protected by
    removing the spark plugs and applying the fogging oil
    directly into the cylinders.
    3. After all the cylinders have been treated, crank the
    engine to spread the lubricant on the cylinder walls.
    Replace the spark plugs in the engine.
    4. Perform annual maintenance; refer to Section 6,
    Scheduled Maintenance Chart."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Indmar recommends doing it. Going to go with their word over yours...

    Quote Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
    Why are you fogging at all

    You realize when you start the engine next season you will burn that through the cats.

    I've never fogged my boats and they have sat 9 months in Oregon before.

    I've never fogged my Vette when it's in storage.

    Get away from the old mentality of fogging.

    You don't need to jeopardize anything in your engine.

    Honestly it's safer to just go start it for 30 seconds once a month

    You won't hurt the impeller and you won't overheat the engine.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Yes I saw the comment about dual plugs in my manual. So is it still just 8 plugs?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    Bumping the motor w/o a plug will cause some oil to shoot out of each cylinder.

    You can fog all at once.

    There are different options about fogging with or without spark plugs and running a chance to foul a plug. I bump mine w/o the plugs to avoid it.

    Yes on the lanyard.

    Are you referring to the Indmar site when they talk about the Raptor motors:
    DUAL SPARK PLUGS
    Time proven, aviation grade dual spark plugs provide more power per liter and redundancy in emissions systems and more efficient combustion leading to increased fuel economy, reliability and cleaner emissions. Dual Spark plugs also extends the spark plug service life to 300 hours.
    2016 Craz

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North End Lake Lanier GA
    Posts
    8,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
    Indmar recommends doing it. Going to go with their word over yours...
    And that's fine just saying it's really not needed, divas you wish I was just giving you my experience with engines for 30+ years.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malo <--- Means--Evil or Mean One. This explains a lot.
    2013 Mojo 2.5 Skylon Tower. Bestia < Beast >

    https://vimeo.com/59208513?from=outro-local

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
    Yes I saw the comment about dual plugs in my manual. So is it still just 8 plugs?
    My Raptor 400 is 8 plugs. I shut the engine off, pull one plug at a time, and give her a good Juicing with fogging oil, Reinstall, and then go to the next one. Beginning of Season she lit off in 1/2 revolution no smoke or issues.
    2019 MAX On Order (4-2-19 SD)
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Park City, Utah
    Posts
    1,291

    Default

    Does it even get cold enough in GA to winterize? I don't fog, never have and will reach -30. My dads family used to own a marina and they did not fog either. Maybe we're old school and the newer engines need more love during the winter months?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •