Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spoon man

Nothing is turnkey unless you are happy with mediocrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Dusty keeping the old 24 spoon out of the water ......

2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by 13mobiusLSV View Post
    In the length of time you took to write up this post, you could've ordered your upgraded ballast.

Add another 5 mins and you could've opened the boxes and hooked up your new ballast.

I've surfed a factory supreme s238 and it didn't even come close to my lsv weighted and upgraded properly.

You mentioned "perceived deal" and "impulse purchase" as if it was a mistake. Well you're about to make another mistake by not even seeing the potential of your boat buy spending a few hundred bucks.

Here's a pic of my lsv from last summer

A lot of great responses here and some tough love which I really appreciate. This wake right here is the best I have seen out of an LSV (not that I am an authority.) How fast are you surfing that?

I admit, I have not tried the ballast, but the thought was why not just get a better surf boat when I can get out of mine for a good price? That said, I would more than happy to keep it if can make it work. ( and save S-loads of money.)

My boat does have those manual surf tabs, and no matter what I do, they just seem to suck. The delta Mission suck gate works the best, but it is really difficult to get right. One moment you have a monster wake, the next you get in the water and have nothing but foam. I have had crappy wakes with 12 people on board, and good ones with only 3. Sometimes it is a complete mystery. The Moomba if I recall recommends underfilling the bags for some reason ( I forget the ratio) and running 10.5 with 1/2 down wake plate. - That has never amounted to anything for me.
    2019 MAX
    2015 Mobius LSV Surf Edition (SOLD)
    2001 Supra Sunsport SSV- SOLD
    2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cummins 6.7L

You have a great boat. I can't think of any boat that will be the "best" surf boat right out of the box. The best advise I was given to dial in a wave is to fill everything completely full, tabs fully deployed and dial back from there. I found even with a surf system on My SA that i needed to be listed and only have tabs deployed to 1 out of 5 positions. The wake plate for me is best around half, I first thought it needed to be all the way up, not the case.

Take a hour out of your day while on the water and play with it, try all different settings and determine what looks best, then ride it to see if it gives you the push needed.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
    A lot of great responses here and some tough love which I really appreciate. This wake right here is the best I have seen out of an LSV (not that I am an authority.) How fast are you surfing that?

I admit, I have not tried the ballast, but the thought was why not just get a better surf boat when I can get out of mine for a good price? That said, I would more than happy to keep it if can make it work. ( and save S-loads of money.)

My boat does have those manual surf tabs, and no matter what I do, they just seem to suck. The delta Mission suck gate works the best, but it is really difficult to get right. One moment you have a monster wake, the next you get in the water and have nothing but foam. I have had crappy wakes with 12 people on board, and good ones with only 3. Sometimes it is a complete mystery. The Moomba if I recall recommends underfilling the bags for some reason ( I forget the ratio) and running 10.5 with 1/2 down wake plate. - That has never amounted to anything for me.
    1) This could be the classic air in the bags vs no air. Make sure when filling you get all the air out of your bags. If you don't each time the bag might look full but have less water in it.
    2) The other thing is check you speedo that is it correct, us a GPS or your phone.
    3) The depth of the water can change the shape of the wave, slow down if under 12' of water to about 10.2 over that 10.6 or 10.8 should work

Quote Originally Posted by sivs1 View Post
    You have a great boat. I can't think of any boat that will be the "best" surf boat right out of the box. The best advise I was given to dial in a wave is to fill everything completely full, tabs fully deployed and dial back from there. I found even with a surf system on My SA that i needed to be listed and only have tabs deployed to 1 out of 5 positions. The wake plate for me is best around half, I first thought it needed to be all the way up, not the case.

Take a hour out of your day while on the water and play with it, try all different settings and determine what looks best, then ride it to see if it gives you the push needed.
    I will second the post of trying different things. Good advice on this post. I learned after installing surf tabs on my 2007.

HA HA, I like the "spoonin" lingo. KG's pics have it nailed down.
    2018 Supra SL400

I hope I didn't come across too mean(my wife said it was too hard on you, haha), I have a 1 month old and am a little sleep deprived. I had the manual flow added after one summer and it was an improvement, however with the suck gates coming out the following year I have had much better luck running a homemade one and no longer use the tabs. I even tried running tabs with the suck gate and it diminished the quality of the wave. The manual flow still wanted a strong list to the surfside which was a bummer as I read some of the mojo guys with manual flow were getting a more evenly weighted setup. If your paddle wheel is calibrated correctly you are running too fast, so I would start there to make sure that is accurate.
    My setup:
    rear lockers: 900s - Full
    hard tank and 500ibs: Full
    speed: 11.0 +/- .1
    wakeplate: 1/4 down
    favor surfside with bodies, you don't have to slam everyone but if you have 5 people put 3 on the side you are surfing on.
    If I have a light crew i will throw a 400lb bag up front in the bow and fill it approx. 50%
    run the suck gate all the way back below the mobius lsv decal and you will have to fine tune it from there.

feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

good luck

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by flienlow View Post

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
    345 HP Surf Motor
    EXILE SXT9's, ZLD
    SUMO 900s, 500 IBS, Flow

2009 F-150 FX4 Supercrew

Quote Originally Posted by MJHSupra View Post
    I will second the post of trying different things. Good advice on this post. I learned after installing surf tabs on my 2007.

HA HA, I like the "spoonin" lingo. KG's pics have it nailed down.
    that is KG's boat diving for pearls ......
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by 13mobiusLSV View Post
    In the length of time you took to write up this post, you could've ordered your upgraded ballast.

Add another 5 mins and you could've opened the boxes and hooked up your new ballast.

I've surfed a factory supreme s238 and it didn't even come close to my lsv weighted and upgraded properly.

You mentioned "perceived deal" and "impulse purchase" as if it was a mistake. Well you're about to make another mistake by not even seeing the potential of your boat buy spending a few hundred bucks.

Here's a pic of my lsv from last summer

you have a long pole

Quote Originally Posted by lsvboombox View Post
    you have a long pole
    Haha, painters pole from menards. Wrapped it in electrical tape and slapped a go pro sticker on it.

2013 Moomba Mobius LSV
    345 HP Surf Motor
    EXILE SXT9's, ZLD
    SUMO 900s, 500 IBS, Flow

2009 F-150 FX4 Supercrew