Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That Spark is crazy small next to the Mavic! Looks like it does some good low light. The Mavic just got Quickshot in its last FW upgrade, finally. I end up shooting most of my stuff in 1080P anyway. I don't have an editing machine that can do 4K and it looks good either way.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    That Spark is crazy small next to the Mavic! Looks like it does some good low light. The Mavic just got Quickshot in its last FW upgrade, finally. I end up shooting most of my stuff in 1080P anyway. I don't have an editing machine that can do 4K and it looks good either way.
    I really like the quick shots. It's basically a few cool fun shots that those of us that are still learning as pilots would want to do anyway.

And yeah, it's crazy small and light. To the point where you'd really take it on a day hike or other adventures.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Your friend is probably right about the speed thing in wind Trason. They can all have a bit of trouble in the wind. You can fly pretty comfortably in 15 MPH winds on the Mavic but a head wind will slow it for sure. At that point you have to be in Sport mode which will take it up to about 40 MPH (no wind) which may be needed for wake boarding. It is a pretty quick little machine.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Do these all have follow mode? Can you get it to take off and follow the surfer, without anyone really flying it and the have it land back on the boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I've found (and definitely with the Spark) is that they don't have a dynamic "home" point. so when the drone's done doing it's thing, it wants to return to where it took off from, which is NOT where the boat is anymore. of course you can update your home point, but it doesn't have a way to make home always the location of the moving remote. I might try later the whole follow me thing. haven't done that yet.

As far as "landing", I've never been quite brave enough to try to land on a boat that is typically rocking ever so slightly. and rarely is my rear sun deck ever level because if we're surfing we're listed to a decent degree. Plus the spark doesn't have much for "landing gear". just some little nubs. I've stopped flying with my prop guards to get greater control and efficiency. When I am done with my spark, I bring it in to the back of the boat, get it to hover in front of me, and reach up and grab it by the body and quickly tilt it sideways which immediately kills the engines. So far so good with that approach on about 8 flights over water. Just make sure you don't get too low on battery because you want that reserve capacity if things go wrong...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    One thing I've found (and definitely with the Spark) is that they don't have a dynamic "home" point. so when the drone's done doing it's thing, it wants to return to where it took off from, which is NOT where the boat is anymore. of course you can update your home point, but it doesn't have a way to make home always the location of the moving remote. I might try later the whole follow me thing. haven't done that yet.
    That is one of two features they JUST added to the Mavic firmware and I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the Spark as well now. This new update will update the home point where the controller is currently and constantly. That is huge when flying from a boat. You can update the home point from the screen manually at any time also but auto is the way to go. I haven't tried it yet.
    Last edited by 5:00; 09-18-2017 at 06:16 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by Mgigs7 View Post
    Do these all have follow mode? Can you get it to take off and follow the surfer, without anyone really flying it and the have it land back on the boat?
    YES! They do have a follow mode. You can tap on a subject on the screen and it will fill in a green box letting you know you have the subject locked. From there it will lazily follow the subject and you won't get a lot of change of view. It is a hands off flight mode. You can also lock on a subject and fly it as well. That way you get a lock with the camera and you can fly anywhere you want. That is the way to do it if you want a change of scenery.
    It works pretty well if you don't try to get the shot in too closely.
    Either way make sure you are flying with your hands on the sticks in case something happens.
    As far as landing on the boat see what Trayson wrote. I wouldn't recommend it. Even on a good day the boat moves too much. There are plenty of vids of failed attempted landings on moving objects.
    Last edited by 5:00; 09-18-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    That is of to two features they JUST added to the Mavic firmware and I wouldn't be surprised if it is on the Spark as well now. This new update will update the home point where the controller is currently and constantly. That is huge when flying from a boat. You can manually update the home point from the screen manually at any time also but auto is the way to go. I haven't tried it yet.
    That's awesome. I'm gonna go check for firmware updates tonight! HAHA. That said, it's rain and wind all during this week. LAME. so no boating for me.

I do know that the mavic controller is more advanced than the spark. it has inherent GPS and an LCD screen. so we'll see what I'm actually able to do.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Landing on a boat seemed like it would be easy since they have auto landing features?

Any kind of flotation creation for water just in case?

2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    Landing on a boat seemed like it would be easy since they have auto landing features?

Any kind of flotation creation for water just in case?

I am a newbie pilot for sure. but even the "experienced" pilots have never been comfortable trying to land on the boat. they always go in for manual control with someone catching it. I can just see a slight off camber sundeck getting sliced up vinyl from the props.

I've heard some people have made various floats. But everything impacts wind resistance and flight time/control. The DJI care refresh insurance does cover water damage, BUT I'd have to be able to recover the damaged drone. so if it sunk, I'd be sunk.

Hence, risky flying over water. After a successful catch and end of flight session, I breathe a huge sigh of relief! No joke.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com