Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What drone to buy?

I will be picking one in next couple of days. What do you have?
    What's best bang for the buck?
    What do you love or hate about yours?
    Not that I have a baller budget but if I did what would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Supra SA

Hate the Airdog it takes forever to get GPS, when it does it wont pass the pre-flight checks by the time this is sorted theres less than 10 minutes flying time and you cant land it on a boat.

Love Mavic Pro

DJI Mavic. Close thread.

Not sure what your budget is though.

It isn't on the cheap side at about $1,000 with everything but it is highly portable, takes very good stabilized shots, follow mode, 4k video, practically flies itself, auto landing, 20+ minute flight time. highly programmable and a blast to fly. It has a ton of other features as well.

At around $500 you have the DJI Spark as well.

Stay away from the Go Pro Karma. It has had many many problems.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Default What drone to buy?

Thanks for tip on go pro. They seem to be in every store here.

Would the spark keep up with boat at 22mph?

Dji phantom looks to be in the middle with features and cost. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by russellsmojo; 09-18-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    2017 Supra SA

Phantom 4 is a great drone. It has a better camera than the Mavic and it a good proven design. It is not highly portable but it is a great choice and you would get great results.

Trayson has a Spark and has been using it quite a bit. It goes about 30 MPH and a flight time of about 15 minutes. Personally I would get the fly more combo which is $700. The important thing there is that it includes a remote rather than flying with Wi-Fi. You will be flying in close range but Wi-Fi from your phone only goes so far. That is how they keep the price so low though. I think there is less chance of interference with the remote than Wi-Fi. The stronger signal is also harder to be interfered with. Maybe that's just me.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

We've been out on the boat with the DJI Phantom 4 a few times, and the Spark a few times. And I know enough about the Mavic to comment on it even though we haven't had it out on the boat yet.

The P4 is a solid performer. It's fast, has lots of battery life and I'd imagine they're selling them for pretty cheap now. The P4 is fast and takes amazing video. We've used it surfing, slalom skiing @ 30 and Wakeboarding at 21.5.

The Mavic is badass. pretty damn portable and has upgraded tech and just an all around winner. Decent battery life, plenty fast. If you can afford it, it's really a great choice because there's not a ton of drawbacks beyond price (around $1200 to $1300 for the flymore package).

I own the DJI Spark. We've used it surfing, but haven't tried it wakeboarding. It's noticeably slower than the mavic. It is spec'd at a 16 minute battery life, but don't plan on getting more than like 12. It's TINY. Like you have to see it to appreciate it tiny. I really like how everything fits in a small carry bag. (the bag is like 8x6x3.5" it's super compact and I fit the spark, 2 batteries, a 12v charger, a couple cables, the RC controller and the spark itself into the bag easily).

The spark actually has a 4k sensor but outputs video in only up to 1080p for image stabilization. That said, the video that comes from the spark is badass. I got my spark in August with the flymore package for $680 shipped on Amazon, though I saw a sale recently for $600. They sell the barebones spark for around $500, but you don't get the remote control and have to fly it via wifi on your phone. NO THANKS!

The spark has some fun "quickshot" modes where you can highlight a subject and have it do a pan away, circle, helix, or rocket shot of the subject. Great for a little 10 second FB or IG video.

Bottom line, the spark is for someone like me that's not too serious, and wanted to get into a fun drone for the lower end of the budget. it has extreme portability, but certainly some compromises on speed and battery life. Sure, I wouldn't mind the mavic, but I just didn't have that kind of budget. The P4 would be fine I guess from a utilitarian standpoint if you want the flight performance and don't care much about portability and could get a good deal on one. but if the prices are at all similar, I'd take the mavic all day, every day for it's size/portability. The P4 basically needs it's own backpack.

Here's a video of my buddy flying the drone for me. It was his first time with the Spark, but he's a really good pilot on the P4 and Mavic.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Here's a "quickshot" video from my spark.

2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quickshot video from Saturday. DJI Spark

www.TraysonsToybox.com

Me taking DJI Spark video the first day I had it at a car event... This is just recording as a flew. Very smooth!

www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by russellsmojo View Post
    Would the spark keep up with boat at 22mph?
    So I asked my buddy that flew my spark for me surfing about the wakeboarding speeds:

His reply was as follows:

on a perfect day with no wind, it should do 30. but most people report 20-22mph. I honestly wouldn't do it. That's straight forward too, no turns and such.
    It'd probably be fine for one pass, but that'd be it on battery life. I'm still fine with my Spark purchase. As I'd have to have someone good enough as a pilot to fly when I wakeboard anyway. And the only people I know that are good enough pilots have their own drones anyway.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com