Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat sharing

Default Boat sharing

I wanted to see if anyone has any experiences with splitting a boat between two parties. A good friend of mine asked if I would be interested in "selling" him part of my boat. We put about 40- 50 hours per year on it but with three active young kids, there a several weekends that if just sits on the lift. I was just curious to see if anyone else has done this and what pitfalls they have encountered.

I don't need the money but thought I might explore it. He is a recently divorced single dad and would love to get his kids out on the water more on weekends when he has them. They come out a few times a year with us but it's hard to get our schedules aligned with his. I think I would determine a fair market price that he would pay half of and 50:50 split of upkeep costs/insurance with a pre-determined schedule during the boating months. I'd like to avoid a formal contract but that might be the best option for all parties.

I think my biggest concern would be the potential to ruin a 30 year friendship. He did own a boat for about 10 years and was meticulous about upkeep on it but he also didn't have kids at the time either...

Just curious as to other's experiences with an arrangement like this. Thanks
    Karl

2014 Outback V

Default Boat sharing

Quickest way to destroy a friendship. The first time something breaks or needs money people will be pointing fingers at each other. Sure you think it can't happen because you're best buds. Don't do it. If he wants to ride with you, that's fine. He can chip in for gas, but that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I agree with Stanzi. I've seen it work once but that was years ago when boats were much cheaper. I wish it would work because the boat would be utilized more. The insurance would be a mess with joint owners where rates for all owners would be affected with a claim. To be fair, the boat would need to be topped off each time and hours logged if you want to prorate maintenance and parts. Eventually, people move on, financial issues or change in interest so then you either sell or buy out. Good luck.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

A fair rental rate seems less dangerous than joint ownership

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Way too much to go wrong even with the best of intentions. I can think of a few scenarios where someone is going to feel screwed.
    Sorry I trashed the propeller but we agreed to split all repair costs. I would think that wouldn't happen but you never know.
    If you feel the need to do something a cost per hour use may the way to go.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Good perspectives and was how was leaning to begin with. Thanks for the input. I wanted to vet this out a little before I took it to my better half who would be the ultimate decider on this anyway. This just saves me that pain!
    Karl

2014 Outback V

If I only used the boat 40-50 hours I year and the schedules worked out I would consider this. I would do a rental type fee perhaps...not shared ownership.
    Let's say 10 outings a year / 40hrs for $4000. It's not a lot of money out of his pocket and easy money in yours.
    It doesn't add much depreciation and covers all of your taxes, maintenance, gas, and fees for the year.
    2017 Axis T23
    2014 Supra SC350 Sold
    2012 Outback V - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by kpanderson07 View Post
    I wanted to see if anyone has any experiences with splitting a boat between two parties. A good friend of mine asked if I would be interested in "selling" him part of my boat. We put about 40- 50 hours per year on it but with three active young kids, there a several weekends that if just sits on the lift. I was just curious to see if anyone else has done this and what pitfalls they have encountered.

I don't need the money but thought I might explore it. He is a recently divorced single dad and would love to get his kids out on the water more on weekends when he has them. They come out a few times a year with us but it's hard to get our schedules aligned with his. I think I would determine a fair market price that he would pay half of and 50:50 split of upkeep costs/insurance with a pre-determined schedule during the boating months. I'd like to avoid a formal contract but that might be the best option for all parties.

I think my biggest concern would be the potential to ruin a 30 year friendship. He did own a boat for about 10 years and was meticulous about upkeep on it but he also didn't have kids at the time either...

Just curious as to other's experiences with an arrangement like this. Thanks
    I would be also interested to hear from who is doing it or has done it.

It's probably not for me, but it would be interesting to hear from others.
    2018 Supra SL400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Where are Langston & Cody on this topic??
    Matt
    2021 Mojo
    2016 Mojo (sold)
    2012 LSV (sold)