Default Lake Powell Here We Come

Just booked a quick 3 day trip to Powell in October. Staying in a Hotel in Page so that will obviously be our base. Will be taking the Supra so will be spending a lot of time on the water. Living in Utah now for 5 years this will be our first trip to Powell, pure newbie here on this one.

I have a 50 gallon tank, have never measured miles per gallon. not sure how far one tank will get me. I know Rainbow Bridge is 100 miles round trip from Waheap, is it worth it? Any canyons I should focus on?

I know we'll surf and wake board, we'll also want to find a secluded beach and drop anchor.

Looking for tips, tricks, secret spots, must dos, things to avoid etc.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

You are going to LOVE this side of the lake and know why we make a lot of weekend trips. October the lake will be way down on boat traffic so you will have a wonderful time. I suggest when traveling up/down lake stick to the channel and don't risk any short cuts around rocks. The best closest beach will be down Navajo Canyon all the way to the back. Rainbow is a must and is a good little hike, they don't allow pets. You will also have Dangling Rope marina up that way so running out of gas wont be a problem. Get a map of the lake, you will thank me later . Also look at the options to keep your boat at APM in the slips and you just take a cart to and from your car and don't have to pull the boat out. They have overnight security to watch over things. A good hand held marine radio is a must just in case when on the lake.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

Man where's all the Powell people at to help a brother out?
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba

Quote Originally Posted by DFTR Josh View Post
    Man where's all the Powell people at to help a brother out?
    Ha ha, right? Facebook has been good as far as advice. The Forum?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold

I can give all sorts of advice for the north half. I camp and boat from halls crossing. No idea on the south half...
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

We made the trip in 2009 was first houseboat trip I took and one of the best. I trailered my boat for Illinois to there. It was a blast my only comment would be pay attention to the markers and were your base camp is.
    We park the houseboats back in a quite little cove. Some of our group took off on the jet skies and after you left the cove it blended in with the back drop and could not see the houseboats from the main channel. they were only lost for about 5 hours before they spotted my orange boat out looking for them.
    2007 supra 21v

I can give all sorts of advice for the north half. I camp and boat from halls crossing. No idea on the south half...
    Sounds like a Moomba/Supra meet should be on the books for the South end of Powell. It's epic down at Antelope Point Marina in Page, AZ.
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba

Powell was at the top of my bucket list for many years until I started off roading in the area and Moab and seeing the same type of scenery from a trail. That area can't be missed for outdoor recreation. IMO, you'll never find a more beautiful place to boat. If there is ever a meet up, I'll be there especially during the off season.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

Josh, sounds like you need to get busy!
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold

we get down there twice a year but almost exclusively the north end, rarely from Page. That being said, the entire lake is awesome. If we aren't on a houseboat and doing something like you guys (hotel), this is what we usually do... Get up in the morning and eat a big breakfast and load up the cooler with food, drinks, etc and head out. We will spend the day cruising up the lake, down the main channel, down the canyons, exploring, etc. You will be amazed how you get to what you think is the end of the canyon arm and then see a little opening that is only ten feet wide and then once you get through it, it opens up again. Really amazing how those canyon are. You may or may not find a beach, just depends on the level of the water but most times you will find a spot to beach the boat. Sometimes we will just drop an anchor at the back of a long canyon and hang out there and have lunch on the boat.

Like DTFR said, get a map, you have to have one for sure. Marine Products has them or you can buy them down there. The map will have channel markers with numbers on it that correspond to the numbered buoys on the lake so you have a good idea where you are. It can be a bit overwhelming the first time there figuring out where you are. The map will also show you were they have floating bathrooms so you can get to a bathroom throughout the day if needed. It also has lots of "sights" to see that are marked on the map.

Rainbow Bridge is great to see and worth the trip. Just make sure Dangling Rope Marina is open. For some reason I think they close that marina later in the year. I could be wrong but it's worth checking into. They also close the gas pumps at the dock earlier in the evening during the off season.

Like DFTR said, stick to the middle of the canyons as you are cruising around. It is amazing how many submerged rocks and islands there are. You can be a long ways off the sore and see a rock just under the surface. Just always keep your eyes open.
    Scott
    2021 Craz
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1997 Sea Ray 190