Thread: Scan tool

Default Scan tool

Got an 08 moomba with the 5.7 indmar engine. Boat started to slow down all by it self this weekend and the check engine light came on. Does anyone know of a inexpensive scanner I can buy? Is there a wire that converts from MEFI(I think that's what it is called) to OBD II so that I may possibly use a automotive scan tool?
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Looked into this and the least expensive one I could find was $400 to $500+ if I remember right. There's just no easy answer. On my 2008, mine was the newer MEFI that was 1 generation past where the less expensive scan tools were available. Most have come up empty on finding something to scan our engines that is cost effective.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Looked into this and the least expensive one I could find was $400 to $500+ if I remember right. There's just no easy answer. On my 2008, mine was the newer MEFI that was 1 generation past where the less expensive scan tools were available. Most have come up empty on finding something to scan our engines that is cost effective.
    Well from what I described is happening with the boat...do you have any opinions on what I should look for? Trying to get a base line where to start looking.

Winder if anyone on the site has got a scan tool I could borrow
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Default Scan tool

Check spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributor cap.

Have any of those ever been changed?

I had some bad plug wires that caused my boat to spit and sputter and threw the CEL. I had just changed the plugs but not the wires. It would go until about 3000 RPMs and then get all crazy. Thought I had trashed my boat with my DIY skillz but it was just plug wires/boots.

As far as a code reader...bro I've been down that road. $400 will get you the Rinda scan tool but that is the cheapest option if your ECM is MEFI-5. Trust me, there are no cheap options. I've researched this one to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Poison; 09-05-2017 at 06:58 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

I had some bad plug wires that caused my boat to spit and sputter and threw the CEL. I had just changed the plugs but not the wires. It would go until about 3000 RPMs and then get all crazy. Thought I had trashed my boat with my DIY skillz but it was just plug wires/boots.

As far as a code reader...bro I've been down that road. $400 will get you the Rinda scan tool but that is the cheapest option if your ECM is MEFI-5. Trust me, there are no cheap options. I've researched this one to death.

I second EVERYTHING said here. Spot on advice.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post

I changed cap, rotor, plugs, and wire last season. Can a throttle position sensor or mass air cause this type of issue? I'll check all the plugs and wires this weekend for damages or bad wear..
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Is there a wire that converts from MEFI(I think that's what it is called) to OBD II so that I may possibly use a automotive scan tool?
    Nope, sorry. Its deeper then just a different style of plug. MEFI is an entirely different communication protocol then OBDII. SO what you rally need, is a MEFI reader software, along with the connector cable. From what I understand, you can get this software package and cable that has standard USB on the end and use your own laptop. You get WAY more then just a code, you get data. A code only tells a fraction the story. IMO, data stream is way more valuable. Price seems reasonable compared to other automotive scan tools (which are not code readers).

Ok well with what i have described...should I be worried about taking it out on the water again?
    It didn't smoke or overheat. No abnormal sounds. The slowing down by itself only happened once and not again when I was on my way back to the dock,which was quite a distance. I'm going to check my impeller before I go out.
    Any thoughts?
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV.
    325 ASSAULT

Quote Originally Posted by Leirhiht View Post
    Ok well with what i have described...should I be worried about taking it out on the water again?
    It didn't smoke or overheat. No abnormal sounds. The slowing down by itself only happened once and not again when I was on my way back to the dock,which was quite a distance. I'm going to check my impeller before I go out.
    Any thoughts?
    I would run it again and see what happens. Be prepared to do a little data collection to see where the problems start (RPMs, temp, oil pressure).

May have just been one of those things.

2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom