Default Adding Perko, which size battery wiring?

I currently have a single battery and want to add a perko switch and 2nd battery. My factory battery leads for the engine are 2/0 gauge.

Does that mean that the added leads from the perko to the batteries and between the batteries also need to be 2/0? All new leads will be 2 feet or less in length.

Also, what's the easiest way to change the positive cable post connector to a ring connector? Is there a power buss block with both a battery post and ring studs on it?

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using Tapatalk
    2004 Mobius LS - hooked on footin'
    Former tow: 1986 Chaparral 178 XL, 90hp Merc
    First tow: 197x Glasspar Citation, 135hp Merc

Can I stick one of these on a 3/8 stud buss block? I'd have the stereo and amps on this block too, and then a cable to the common post on the perko.

That is, one of these...

Pico 0844pt Lead Charging Post - 3/8stud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QRTXEK..._vxnOzbTFA76EV

Id spend a couple more bucks and get a Blue Sea switch over a Perko. Much better built switch. Longer studs, deeper body and the cables can enter/exit on all 4 sides.

You will want to solder on a 2/0 ring terminal in place of a standard battery end and terminate direct to the switch.

I build all my battery banks with 1/0

Thanks for the suggestion on the Blue Sea. Saw that on Amazon as being better rated and wondered about it. I'll check that out.

If I get 3/8" ring terminals all the way around, should I be all set and ok? Or is smaller preferred for better contact with the posts? I just don't want to run into a situation where a future replacement battery ends up with bigger posts than my wiring is set up for.

In a perfect world, you will want the proper ring size for each stud. Most marine batteries use a 5/16" threaded stud. Some use a 3/8" on the + and typical 5/16" on the -. The Bluesea switch uses 3/8". Leave an extra inch or two on the battery + cables at the battery ends for a needed terminal swap, if it ever came about.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    In a perfect world, you will want the proper ring size for each stud. Most marine batteries use a 5/16" threaded stud. Some use a 3/8" on the + and typical 5/16" on the -. The Bluesea switch uses 3/8". Leave an extra inch or two on the battery + cables at the battery ends for a needed terminal swap, if it ever came about.
    PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers