Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default New to me 2007 XLV - Ballast pump setup

I just purchases a new to me 2007 XLV. It will be for surf/wake. I've read into the ballast setup, funky at best (mine isn't working that great). I plan to update pumps, and get the 1000ish pound bags for rear. What are most people going to? Seems like 3 aerator pumps with independent intakes and vented loops would be the easiest/cheapest setup. Can the sprinkler pump relay deliver enough power for an aerator pump? will the 1 intake feed 3 pumps ok?Are the aerator pumps just a waste of time and money instead of just getting the wakemaker reversible setup?

Get 1100's and a reversible setup with 3 separate intakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by timmerz View Post
    Can the sprinkler pump relay deliver enough power for an aerator pump? will the 1 intake feed 3 pumps ok?Are the aerator pumps just a waste of time and money instead of just getting the wakemaker reversible setup?
    My opinion is that the aerators are not worth the time/money and I think a few here have gone down the path of individual aerators thinking it was a cost savings but decided it wasn't significant after all the extra plumbing is factored in. I would recommend 3 reversible pumps with dedicated through hull intakes. The sprinkler relays are part of the valve. The dash switches can handle the higher current but the original wiring is too small.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    My opinion is that the aerators are not worth the time/money and I think a few here have gone down the path of individual aerators thinking it was a cost savings but decided it wasn't significant after all the extra plumbing is factored in. I would recommend 3 reversible pumps with dedicated through hull intakes. The sprinkler relays are part of the valve. The dash switches can handle the higher current but the original wiring is too small.
    I would disagree with this, however, I have not owned reversible pumps - I just hear the highs and lows of ownership. I went this route on my '08 OBV and have been thoroughly impressed, in fact I was so impressed with the upgrade that I abandoned/delayed my 2nd large aerator pump install. I can fill my 2,700 lb system in 18-20 minutes, usually the same amount of time it takes to idle from the landing to our riding spot. I only have ~$40 in each valve, plush some % for manifold fittings (minimal). I didn't even go through with upgrading to 1" fill lines after initial testing. I have details on the flow analysis I did before gambling on these valves if interested, just ask - but fair warned, it's rather 'nerdy'.

Old way:

New way:

Notice the new manifold has room for an expansion inlet. I may change that thought and put a 4th valve there to fill a surfside custom bag, ~300lbs, where the cooler used to be...
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Reversible pumps, just easier and works better..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

I've added a couple thru hull fittings and run about 2250 lbs. plus a sucgate. I have two aerators filling each "zone" and can fill everything in about 6-7 min. I used check valves close to the bags to keep them from siphoning back. (I made a manifold like the one in the post above but then just deleted the whole thing later.)

When I went to this system the reversibles others were installing were burning through impellers all the time. They have since come out with impellers made from much better material. For me it's kind of a toss-up. The reversibles are neat and easy but expensive. The aerators, done right, are faster but have their own problems. Occasionally you will get an air bubble somewhere and have to pull a line and work it out.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by timmerz View Post
    I just purchases a new to me 2007 XLV. It will be for surf/wake. I've read into the ballast setup, funky at best (mine isn't working that great). I plan to update pumps, and get the 1000ish pound bags for rear. What are most people going to? Seems like 3 aerator pumps with independent intakes and vented loops would be the easiest/cheapest setup. Can the sprinkler pump relay deliver enough power for an aerator pump? will the 1 intake feed 3 pumps ok?Are the aerator pumps just a waste of time and money instead of just getting the wakemaker reversible setup?
    all a function of money. I did a mod with two fill pumps and added a 4th sprinkler valve on my 07 obv for the bow sac. worked great and no real issues except the 1000% suck flat drain. I have not had a problem with the reversible pumps on my 12 XLV and I added upgraded bags everywhere.....
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Depends on what your priorities are.

Aerator:
    • somewhat lower cost
    • less amp draw when all pumps are running (no need to have boat running)
    • a bit faster than reversible
    • More complicated install
    • can't use scupper intake, need mushroom thru-hulls

Reversible:
    • easier install for sure
    • sucks bags flat
    • draws much more power, might need a rewire and should have boat running while using multiple pumps
    • more expensive, but not by a HUGE amount

Occasionally I'll get an air lock on one of my aerators. I have to slide out my rear seat, open the vdrive cover for the bilge, and give the pump lid a half twist which will put water into it, then I'm golden. NEVER had to pop a hose or anything like that.

I've got 3 bags on aerators (1100,1100,1180) and 2 more bags on a reversible (400 and ~250). They all fill or drain in about 7 to 8 minutes. I've got all of them plumbed for above water line draining. I've got the reversible plumbed with check valves on both bags to suck them flat. I have a vented loop on my playpen bag to keep it from passively filling/draining. my rear bags have vent lines that empty on the opposite side of the boat with check valves on them.

Yes, there's an approach where you can replace the sprinkler valves with motorized ball valves. My understanding is that this is a dramatic increase in speed over stock, even more so if you add additional aerator pumps (like Kane did, add a Tee off your intake thru hull and put another pump on it). If you decide to go with motorized ball valves, I have two of them I'd be happy to sell as I didn't end up using them in my setup.

Overall, I'm satisfied with how my system turned out. The aerators are faster/cheaper on paper, but once you add head pressure you end up with the difference being maybe a minute. so not earth shattering. I do like that my system draws fewer amps so I don't have to run my boat while operating my pumps.
    Last edited by trayson; 08-24-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I wouldn't waste the money on the reversibles. Pull those sprinkler valves off, throw them in the garbage and replace with 3/4 electric ball valves wired to the existing sprinkler valve wiring. Add vent lines and check valves and you're done. It will fill faster than the reversible pumps. It's easier, cheaper and works as good.

Search eBay for the electric ball valves. They're maybe $50 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV

Quote Originally Posted by aerolland View Post
    I would disagree with this, however, I have not owned reversible pumps - I just hear the highs and lows of ownership. I went this route on my '08 OBV and have been thoroughly impressed, in fact I was so impressed with the upgrade that I abandoned/delayed my 2nd large aerator pump install. I can fill my 2,700 lb system in 18-20 minutes, usually the same amount of time it takes to idle from the landing to our riding spot. I only have ~$40 in each valve, plush some % for manifold fittings (minimal). I didn't even go through with upgrading to 1" fill lines after initial testing. I have details on the flow analysis I did before gambling on these valves if interested, just ask - but fair warned, it's rather 'nerdy'.

Old way:

New way:

Notice the new manifold has room for an expansion inlet. I may change that thought and put a 4th valve there to fill a surfside custom bag, ~300lbs, where the cooler used to be...
    That's it! Works like a charm! The 1 big rule pumps more water than three individual reversible pumps. I fill 2700#'s in under 20minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV