View Poll Results: Dual Battery Switch Usage After Each Outing

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it on 1 & 2?

5 14.71%
  • Turn it to off every time?

23 67.65%
  • My boat has a battery switch, who knew?

0 0%
  • Its always on 1, don't think about it?

6 17.65%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMobius View Post
    I switch them both off every time I put it in the lift when done. When going out, I run it from 1 + 2 until I anchor to hang out, then I switch to one or the other while anchored and running the radio etc. to keep my house and starter batteries isolated. When done hanging out, I switch back to 1 + 2 so I can charge them both up before putting back up in the lift.

From what I've read, having it on 1 + 2 charges both equally from the alternator when the engine is running, and the entire point is to isolate a house battery and starting battery in periods of running solely off of a battery for a long time right?

Maybe that is all wrong, and I'm admittedly still a bit new at this, but has worked well for me thus far.
    This is what I do as well. I have a Starting Battery set to 1 and then a deep cycle set to 2.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

This may not apply in all cases but I think with the electronics in the newer boats, it's not actually recommended to run in "1 + 2" mode unless it's an emergency....

Excerpt from the '17 Owner's Manual:

Skier’s Choice installs a 4-position battery switch on any boat equipped with dual batteries. It is recommended that both batteries
    be fully charged between each use to insure they can deliver the electrical demands required for each outing. The purpose of our
    recommendation is to utilize one primary battery for all operational needs, and have the other as a backup if the primary battery
    discharges. This situation could occur if you run your accessories such as ballast or stereo for a long time, without running the
    boat. The dual battery setup is designed to create a redundant system allowing the user to have a backup battery. The switch
    must be in the “1” or “2” position to create the redundancy.

The 4 positions available on the battery switch are: Off / 1 / 2 / 1&2. These choices indicate which battery is being used to power
    the boat and which battery is being charged by the engine’s alternator. We recommend using only position 1 or 2 while boating.
    Battery switch position “1&2” is available but not recommended as power will be drawn from both batteries and the alternator
    will have difficulties keeping both batteries charged simultaneously. It also creates a ground differentiation which in turn will
    create issues with sensitive electrical components such as the Vision screen.
    The only time you may need Position 1 &
    2 would be in an emergency situation where both batteries are low and need power from both to help start the engine.
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    This may not apply in all cases but I think with the electronics in the newer boats, it's not actually recommended to run in "1 + 2" mode unless it's an emergency....

Excerpt from the '17 Owner's Manual:

Skier’s Choice installs a 4-position battery switch on any boat equipped with dual batteries. It is recommended that both batteries
    be fully charged between each use to insure they can deliver the electrical demands required for each outing. The purpose of our
    recommendation is to utilize one primary battery for all operational needs, and have the other as a backup if the primary battery
    discharges. This situation could occur if you run your accessories such as ballast or stereo for a long time, without running the
    boat. The dual battery setup is designed to create a redundant system allowing the user to have a backup battery. The switch
    must be in the “1” or “2” position to create the redundancy.

The 4 positions available on the battery switch are: Off / 1 / 2 / 1&2. These choices indicate which battery is being used to power
    the boat and which battery is being charged by the engine’s alternator. We recommend using only position 1 or 2 while boating.
    Battery switch position “1&2” is available but not recommended as power will be drawn from both batteries and the alternator
    will have difficulties keeping both batteries charged simultaneously. It also creates a ground differentiation which in turn will
    create issues with sensitive electrical components such as the Vision screen.
    The only time you may need Position 1 &
    2 would be in an emergency situation where both batteries are low and need power from both to help start the engine.
    Well darn...any reason to think why this also wouldn't apply on older models?
    2004 Mobius XLV
    340hp Indmar Assault MPI
    Gravity Games III package
    Dual batteries with switch
    Mako light bar and racks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMobius View Post
    Well darn...any reason to think why this also wouldn't apply on older models?
    I think the bit about the alternator struggling to keep both batteries charged would be applicable on older models...just not the piece on sensitive electronics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    I think the bit about the alternator struggling to keep both batteries charged would be applicable on older models...just not the piece on sensitive electronics.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    You mean my analog gauges aren't sensitive?

Yeah I would agree. Was out tonight and left it on the same battery the entire time. Still shut them all off when back at the lift though...
    2004 Mobius XLV
    340hp Indmar Assault MPI
    Gravity Games III package
    Dual batteries with switch
    Mako light bar and racks

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    Fairly certain that the alt will charge both batteries as needed no matter if the switch is on 1, 2 or both. I always switch mine to off and about once a week or so plug in my onboard charger for maintenance. As for which battery to run, no idea, don't have any set pattern, just however I feel like flipping the switch.
    This is essentially us. My bilge is wired direct to battery. If not, I'd leave it on 1 or 2 if it was in the water or exposed to rain.

If we are going to be anchored for a period of time I'll make sure I'm using the bank built for the stereo. 2 6v.

As to the poll question ... if you are leaving it on 1 and 2 when stored, you are not utilizing the purpose of the switch.
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 08-16-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

I turn them completely off after every outing and always charge them with my dual bank charger every time. That was the recommendation of both the stereo installer & battery manufacturer.

I usually run it on 2 which is my big stereo battery. If it for some reason drains out I can switch to 1 and still be able to start it.

Sometimes I run on 1 just to use the battery a little bit. When ever anchored or moored and listening to stereo it's on 2. I never have them on 1+2. I also never charge it with the switch on 1 or 2 always in the off position.

I've never had to reset my stereo settings or anything like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Mondo

Upgraded 900lb Rears, 250lb under Port Seat & 750lb IBS

2079 Prop

Auto Flow 2.0

Kicker Stereo: 2 800.5 amps, 2 400.2 amps, 4 KM8 towers , 4 KM10 subs & 8 KM6 cabin speakers

I guess I'm lazy. I have two Walmart Everstart Maxx group 29 batteries on bank 1. That's what my switch is set to and what I tend to leave the switch on. I have another single Walmart Everstart Maxx group 29 battery as my 'backup' that really doesn't see much use.

I have a prosport dual bank 20amp charger that I plug in once the boat is parked in the carport. (I used to use the cheap harbor freight float chargers, but finally stepped up to the more powerful prosport.)
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

I do the same a Brett except I use bank 1 for everything and 2 for back up starting, one nice thing about the fusion is nothing seems to reset when batteries are off, just turn switch on and go
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

We discovered an interesting thing this weekend in regards to our dual battery switch. We have always run battery 2, well I decided to run battery one just to make sure it works. I selected battery one and went to start the engine and it cranked for like 5-6 seconds before starting. Crank speed was normal, it just didn't want to start. The rest of the day it ran fine, no problem. The next day I went back to battery two and it again, cranked for 5-6 seconds before starting. All subsequent starts were normal until I swapped it back to battery one, then it took 5-6 seconds to start. I am totally clueless on this lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD