View Poll Results: Dual Battery Switch Usage After Each Outing

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it on 1 & 2?

5 14.71%
  • Turn it to off every time?

23 67.65%
  • My boat has a battery switch, who knew?

0 0%
  • Its always on 1, don't think about it?

6 17.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dual Battery Switch Usage After Each Outing

So quick question, when you pull the boat out of the water or on the lift after each outing do you do anything with the battery switch?
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

More often than not I leave it on 1+2 setting, however, I have noticed I have a parasitic draw somewhere and after about 2 weeks it will drain the batteries. That said, I usually have my on board charger plugged in as well. I have been getting in the habit of turning the Perko switch to off if I know I'm not going to plug the charger in for a while.
    2008 OBV
    325 EFI with closed cooling
    Gravity III with 750's in the rear, 400 stock floor, 750 IBS
    Servo valve ballast upgrade
    Wetsounds Rev10
    JL Amps, WS420BT

2000 Outback LS <-- Sold!!!
    310 Carb Direct Drive
    800# Rear Locker
    750# IBS (should have kept this for the OBV)
    Dual Batteries with 2 Bank Charger System
    Kenwood Head with Remotes
    Too many hours restoring exterior from prior negligence to count!

Default Dual Battery Switch Usage After Each Outing

I was told with the newer boats to never use 1+2 setting. It was suggested to use 1 on a trip, then 2 on the next and continue to switch per trip. I realize it's a bit different for you guys with a lift, but I think the same rule could apply. Leave it on 1 and then change to 2 when you jump in the boat for the next outing.

I turn the switch to off when I pull the boat out of the water.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

I do the same thing as moombahghrider. I alternate between 1 & 2 day by day. I turn it off at the end of the day then switch to the other battery the next day then off again when I leave it for the week. I just don't want to arrive at a boat with no battery power left.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

I turn mine off too as I have also noticed a parasitic draw somewhere - which I believe is from the screen as it looks like it stays on , albeit extremely faintly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

I would definitely recommend that you do not leave it on 1+2 for extended periods. No two batteries are identical, leaving them connected together will cause a parasitic draw from one to the other. This may be minor but could be significant enough to be an issue over the long term. This becomes critical when a battery reaches the end of its life (typically 3-5 years). The dying battery will rather quickly drain the good one and leave you without enough battery to start. (The best case scenario is using two identical batteries of the exact same age. This is also why all electronic devices instruct you not to mix batteries types or old/new). Before I installed an ACR, I would always switch to 1+2 for the day of use and then to off at the end. (1+2 is good during use so that both batteries can charge).
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

I leave mine on so I don't have to reset the head unit from "demo" mode every week. When I charge (rarely) I open the #1 battery case and charge it overnight, then switch to 1 & 2 and charge overnight again, then flip back to #1.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

I turn mine off after every outing and run it on 2 while
    I'm out reserving 1 for a back up. I guess I should run it on 1 today to make sure it will start the boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Fairly certain that the alt will charge both batteries as needed no matter if the switch is on 1, 2 or both. I always switch mine to off and about once a week or so plug in my onboard charger for maintenance. As for which battery to run, no idea, don't have any set pattern, just however I feel like flipping the switch.
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

I switch them both off every time I put it in the lift when done. When going out, I run it from 1 + 2 until I anchor to hang out, then I switch to one or the other while anchored and running the radio etc. to keep my house and starter batteries isolated. When done hanging out, I switch back to 1 + 2 so I can charge them both up before putting back up in the lift.

From what I've read, having it on 1 + 2 charges both equally from the alternator when the engine is running, and the entire point is to isolate a house battery and starting battery in periods of running solely off of a battery for a long time right?

Maybe that is all wrong, and I'm admittedly still a bit new at this, but has worked well for me thus far.
    2004 Mobius XLV
    340hp Indmar Assault MPI
    Gravity Games III package
    Dual batteries with switch
    Mako light bar and racks