Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Hull Design Problem?

The new Hull design that I believe started on the 16' Helix and is now maybe on the Max has an uneven floor in the rear locker compartment. As a result, the ballast bags are unable to fill completely. I started a previous thread wondering why my fill times were shorter than normal and now I think this is the reason why. I was going to put a plywood floor in to create a level floor so the bag would sit level and be able to fill all the way but the intake hose is mounted right on that floor and can't be raised up. As a result, there's no good way to put a level floor in the rear locker compartment.

The only option I could see would be some custom bags.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

put lead under there to level it up
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    probably the best option right there. Trying to level it just reduces the total available volume and custom bags are going to cost you beacoup dinero.

2017 Moomba Craz

Default New Hull Design Problem?

Throw a bag of sakrete in there. Or Great place for the tube!!

Last edited by russellsmojo; 08-10-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    2017 Supra SA

Quote Originally Posted by jmvotto View Post
    That's what I wanted to do but the fill inlet tube is right at the lower level floor level. So putting anything under there would cause that tube to kink.

I don't think I follow your conclusion. Why would an uneven floor cause the bag to fill less? The bag is flexible and will conform to the space available, or if it doesn't completely conform it would still fill "full" just up a little higher, leaving a bit of an air space in the corner which would be the same effect as building a false floor.

A big factor for us is if the bag is twisted or get caught with a corner or side "tucked in", then the bag won't fill full because the volume is reduced. (The LSV locker is flat.) After a day out, we lift the front of the bag to get it to totally drain out and it never goes back perfect so this twisting problem would happen virtually every time. When we launch, we put just a little bit of water in each bag (1-2 inches) which gives the bag enough weight to start staying in place as we pull the lower corners to straighten it out. Then we fill 'em up checking as it goes. It doesn't require as much attention after the first time.
    2007 Mobius LSV
    1989 Sanger Skier DX - sold

^^^Agreed. I do the same...when i remember to.
    2016 Craz

Quote Originally Posted by gregski View Post
    I don't think I follow your conclusion. Why would an uneven floor cause the bag to fill less? The bag is flexible and will conform to the space available, or if it doesn't completely conform it would still fill "full" just up a little higher, leaving a bit of an air space in the corner which would be the same effect as building a false floor.

A big factor for us is if the bag is twisted or get caught with a corner or side "tucked in", then the bag won't fill full because the volume is reduced. (The LSV locker is flat.) After a day out, we lift the front of the bag to get it to totally drain out and it never goes back perfect so this twisting problem would happen virtually every time. When we launch, we put just a little bit of water in each bag (1-2 inches) which gives the bag enough weight to start staying in place as we pull the lower corners to straighten it out. Then we fill 'em up checking as it goes. It doesn't require as much attention after the first time.
    If one corner of the bag is indented the total volume of water will be reduced. The only way to keep the same volume of water would be to have one corner of the bag project out as much as the other corner is projected in. At least, that's what I'm thinking?

This just seems like a big oversight. I'm just surprised this hasn't been discussed before especially as we're all fighting to get every extra pound of ballast. My guess is that this will be one a bigger issue once this new hull design becomes more popular.

Here is a picture of the ballast hose mounted close to the rear locker floor which prevents you from being able to make all the floor the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by Willyourun View Post

Here is a picture of the ballast hose mounted close to the rear locker floor which prevents you from being able to make all the floor the same level.

Why don't you lengthen that hose if your objective is to have it level?
    Thus, you could put something in floor and have the bag on top of that.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400