Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Cassandra,

Maybe while you’re turning Autowake is trying to fix your pitch and roll by draining or filling tanks. Then when you straighten out everything is off. One solution would be to flip one of your pump switches to fill for a couple seconds before making your turn. This will turn Autowake off but leave your cruise speed set. Then nothing will change while turning. After you straighten out, your wave should return to exactly the way you had it after the turn. You can turn Autowake on again by pressing the left button. After a countdown, Autowake will become active and start monitoring your pitch and roll and adjusting the ballast levels.

Hope this helps.

Dave

2018 Mondo, stock ballast 2300 lbs

Sounds like your surf plate got screwed up, not sure how that would happen buy turning, but my goofy plate was acting up Saturday, I had it set for 80% and stock autowake setting, and would get autowake achieved, but the wave was complete crap. Would stop go again, nothing, then cycled the switch for the plates a couple of times , then it worked, the plate was stuck at 40% even though it said it was at 80%

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

You might also check what your wakeplate is doing when it does this, I've had mine also go to 100% on its own several times while surfing, with cruise set surfing, and with autowake set surfing, and it would reset back to where I had it set after stopping and going again.
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Hi Matt, the static Autowake target numbers have been a huge help. For those that missed it try to get your boat at .5 pitch and either -2 roll or +2.5 roll depending on the surf side while sitting still waiting for the surfer to be ready. We do this by moving people to reduce the loss of ballast. I didn’t even realize that Autowake was trying to work while we were sitting still. We never got to "static Autowake achieved" before so I assumed that it was just letting me know that "static Autowake active" meant Autowake was ready to start working once we hit cruise speed. I was always a little miffed that I would see Autowake inactive right after throttle up but then I realized that you don’t want Autowake working while your pitch and roll are stabilizing. Looking forward to another great weekend - can't wait for holidays. Our lake has just hit a balmy 68 F. Hope you southerners appreciate what you have...

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Hey guys. The factory defaults for current boats is 70% port plate (for surfing goofy) and 60% stbd plate (for surfing regular). That should be in the owners manual, but if not, I will see if we can add it....

On the pitch and roll, that should also be in the manual, but should also display on the screen. The goofy roll is 5 degrees and the regular roll is 3 degrees. Pitch is 9 degrees for both.

The difference in plate deflection and roll is because of prop rotation and having to roll more because of it.

As some have mentioned, you might find different roll angles work better. For example, if you surf regular all the time, then maybe 4 or 5 degrees works better. If you want to transfer a lot, then maybe less roll works better. But rolling the boat is how the surf wave is created so you will just have to find what roll angle is best for you.

Also, I can't mention roll without again mentioning displacement. Most of you are starting to understand how much I stress displacement. IF you don't have much displacement, then you should stick pretty close to the factory defaults. However, as you start adding more displacement, then you can start experimenting with different angles. Moving the roll to a drastic angle WITHOUT adding displacement will very likely give you WORSE waves. The reason for that is because if you don't add roll with passenger weight, then the only way AutoWake can achieve a drastic roll will be to DRAIN ballast on other side. Roll without displacement will ALWAYS result in small waves. It might "look" better, but it will not have push. On the flip side of that, a boat with a LOT of displacement might not have roll perfect and the wave may not "look" perfect, but the overall displacement will generate push and when surfing, the main thing people complain about is not enough push. Pitch and Roll really have very little to do with push. Push is almost 100% displacement.
    Matt, I have a quick question concerning AW and pitch and roll. I've been using AW for the last several weeks and I have to say that I've learned a ton just by watching it and anticipating it's next move. It's made me better as I tweak my wave. I have a 2017 Helix and it's maxed out as far as weight/ballast goes. I'm at the "legal" limit and maxed on on AMP. I know that the default regular surf is 9/-3 with stock ballast. My question deals with pitch and roll now that I'm maxed out on displacement. I've figured out that a lower pitch seems to produce a shorter/longer length wave and higher than 9 equals a steeper/ shorter length wave. My main question is about roll. With me having additional rear weight, lead bags throughout, and more weight in my lockers surf side, my roll is a good bit higher than 3. Is there a point of TOO MUCH roll where the wave isn't shaped correctly/not ideal or is it all just personal preference. Is the (3) roll just the optimal number you guys discovered with the stock ballast? I'm new to surfing so I'm learning. I've got a decent wave now but I want to work to dial it in and get the most out of my boat that I can so I didn't know if there was a point where I shouldn't try to get too much roll or if you want to get as much as you can.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

Quote Originally Posted by LAwake View Post
    Matt, I have a quick question concerning AW and pitch and roll. I've been using AW for the last several weeks and I have to say that I've learned a ton just by watching it and anticipating it's next move. It's made me better as I tweak my wave. I have a 2017 Helix and it's maxed out as far as weight/ballast goes. I'm at the "legal" limit and maxed on on AMP. I know that the default regular surf is 9/-3 with stock ballast. My question deals with pitch and roll now that I'm maxed out on displacement. I've figured out that a lower pitch seems to produce a shorter/longer length wave and higher than 9 equals a steeper/ shorter length wave. My main question is about roll. With me having additional rear weight, lead bags throughout, and more weight in my lockers surf side, my roll is a good bit higher than 3. Is there a point of TOO MUCH roll where the wave isn't shaped correctly/not ideal or is it all just personal preference. Is the (3) roll just the optimal number you guys discovered with the stock ballast? I'm new to surfing so I'm learning. I've got a decent wave now but I want to work to dial it in and get the most out of my boat that I can so I didn't know if there was a point where I shouldn't try to get too much roll or if you want to get as much as you can.
    I will try to address this without getting too "long winded". I know some of you give me crap about that. hahaha

You are correct that higher pitch typically results in steeper/shorter waves and vice versa. BUT, as I always say, that all greatly depends on displacement. If you only have factory ballast and 1 passenger, setting the pitch to 11 degrees will NOT result in a steeper/shorter wave. The reason is to get to 11 degrees pitch, with factory ballast and 1 passenger, the only way the system can do that is to drain all the ballast in the front. Draining the ballast reduces displacement. Reducing displacement reduces wake size. So, theoretically the wave SHOULD be steeper, but it will probably be so much smaller that you can't tell the shape.

Same applies to roll. IF you are truly maxed out on displacement and have a LOT of weight in the boat, then you can move the roll to what ever you prefer. BUT keep in mind as you continue to change roll, at some point it will have to drain ballast which reduces displacement, which reduces size. So, if you tried to go to 10 degrees roll, then you couldn't do that without removing ballast on non surf side. Again, without displacement, the wave gets smaller.

We did find that 9 and -3 worked best to get a good shape while also trying to maximize displacement.

Hope that makes sense...
    Matt Brown
    Product Development Manager

Matt,

Can I make a feature request for future iterations, not directly tied to autowake? We’ve (the wife and I) have found that it would be extremely helpful to have an indicator for the rudder orientation on the boat. Even an old school needle dial would be great. There are many times that getting everything ready to start and you realize that the boat isn’t heading straight forward because you can’t tell the rudder position. So the boat lurches off to the side and the driver has to do a quick turn of the wheel all while throttling up.

Heath
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    High altitude prop
    1140 lb WakeMakers Universal Fit rear ballast upgrade
    Autowake 2.0 firmware upgrade (20171121 version)
    2013 SeaDoo GTI135SE with ski mode
    1984 SeaRay 210 CC - traded

Simple fix, my ex was even able to figure it out, you idle the boat forward before ripping your rider out of the water,, pretty easy to tell which way your rudder is pionted if you do that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Quote Originally Posted by chezdude View Post
    Matt,

Can I make a feature request for future iterations, not directly tied to autowake? We’ve (the wife and I) have found that it would be extremely helpful to have an indicator for the rudder orientation on the boat. Even an old school needle dial would be great. There are many times that getting everything ready to start and you realize that the boat isn’t heading straight forward because you can’t tell the rudder position. So the boat lurches off to the side and the driver has to do a quick turn of the wheel all while throttling up.

Heath
    There is no sensor on the rudder. As others have said go slow in doe and you will know where you’re rudder is pointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    There is no sensor on the rudder.
    No sensor required. Old school manual needle gauge based on rotation of the steering column. Some things are better solved without technology that is expensive and prone to failure.

Heath
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    High altitude prop
    1140 lb WakeMakers Universal Fit rear ballast upgrade
    Autowake 2.0 firmware upgrade (20171121 version)
    2013 SeaDoo GTI135SE with ski mode
    1984 SeaRay 210 CC - traded