Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LAwake View Post
    I have a question about the AW system and the stock settings as it pertains to having additional ballast on your boat. I read through the entire post and I could have missed it but I wasn't able to find an answer.
    I'm trying to figure out if the port settings on a Helix for pitch and roll (9, -3) are just based on a stock Helix with the standard 2100 pounds or if when you add additional ballast/lead bags the numbers should change? I've upgraded my rear bags, have additional bags I can fill manually, and have 1000# of lead bags. I have the potential to have close to 5000# total if everything is filled including crew on the boat. So, when I use AW should I still be trying to set the weight up to achieve the 9, -3 set points or something else?
    Along the same lines, is less pitch than 9 and more roll than -3 (port side wave) a good thing while running the additional weight over stock? I, like everyone else, just want to maximize the wave potential so I want to understand the AW set points and how they relate when you've increased your overall displacement. A few days ago I was running close to 5000# total weight and my pitch was 7.5 and my roll was close 6.5-7. The wave was ok so I don't know if I should still be trying to get back to 9,-3 or some other set of variables to get the best possible wave. I feel like with the upgraded amount of displacement I should be getting a great wave. I just don't know what numbers I should be looking to achieve.

Seems like an excessive amount of roll and not enough pitch, you should be closer to the stock numbers, like 1-2 degrees difference.

You should take all the ballast out and calibrate the Autowake, then surf the stock settings. Turn off Autowake and move ballast around and surf it, repeat until you get the wave you like. Turn on Autowake and record the pitch numbers, repeat this every day until you get an idea how to setup the wave. The settings will be slightly different each time out unless you have the exact same setup. Make sure you to update Autowake to latest version, contact moomba.

I would fill everything you have to max, put all the people and lead(near the back) on the port side. Wake plate 0, surf tab 55, speed 10.5. This should make a huge short monster wave, if it doesn't look clean remove some ballast from the opposite side. Then slowly take a bag of lead at a time and move it to the bow see how that changes the wave and repeat until it the wave gets longer. Surf it and repeat. Taking a pic of each wave helps too.

Wake plate = Zero-15%, as you add more wake plate the wave will lower height & Longer wave
    Higher pitch = Taller height & shorter wave
    Lower pitch = Lower height & Longer wave
    More speed = Lower height & Longer wave
    Less speed = Taller height & shorter wave
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Default AutoWake questions

I would say too much roll is probably going to affect the wave. I don’t ever go over 5°. Pitch can be up to 10°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stazi; 05-27-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I would say too much roll is probably going to affect the wave. I don’t ever go over 5°. Pitch can be up to 10°

Thanks Stazi. I had a good bit of weight on the surf side when I got that high roll number. I ended up moving some lead over to the non-surf side and got the number back down to 3.5.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    Fat Sac 400s (Midship compartments)
    LeadWake bags

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Seems like an excessive amount of roll and not enough pitch, you should be closer to the stock numbers, like 1-2 degrees difference.

You should take all the ballast out and calibrate the Autowake, then surf the stock settings. Turn off Autowake and move ballast around and surf it, repeat until you get the wave you like. Turn on Autowake and record the pitch numbers, repeat this every day until you get an idea how to setup the wave. The settings will be slightly different each time out unless you have the exact same setup. Make sure you to update Autowake to latest version, contact moomba.

I would fill everything you have to max, put all the people and lead(near the back) on the port side. Wake plate 0, surf tab 55, speed 10.5. This should make a huge short monster wave, if it doesn't look clean remove some ballast from the opposite side. Then slowly take a bag of lead at a time and move it to the bow see how that changes the wave and repeat until it the wave gets longer. Surf it and repeat. Taking a pic of each wave helps too.

Wake plate = Zero-15%, as you add more wake plate the wave will lower height & Longer wave
    Higher pitch = Taller height & shorter wave
    Lower pitch = Lower height & Longer wave
    More speed = Lower height & Longer wave
    Less speed = Taller height & shorter wave
    Great info there, thanks. I have the upgraded software for AutoWake so I have the amplitude setting now but it just reads the total rear weight from what I understand. It's a 2017 so I don't have the new ballast sensors that Moomba's have now. One of my biggest issues I have with my Helix is getting the wave lengthened. That's why I had such a low pitch. I added bow weight and increased the speed a little. I can get a decent wave behind the boat but I have literally no length. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from a small sized boat and I'm getting everything I'm ever going to get or what. I just feel like I don't have much length and very little push. If I get toward the back of the wave and away from the boat, that's it, there's no getting back in the wave. It's like the pocket is so small that I can't get very far from the boat or else I'm out of the wave.
    I weigh 200, ride 4'8 Neo with upgraded fins, and have a long history of wakeboarding as well as ocean surfing so I feel like my skill set is there. This will be my 2nd summer wake surfing so I'm still learning and trying to progress.

I'm writing some of this info down and will take it with me this week when I go back out to dial things in.
    Last edited by LAwake; 05-27-2019 at 12:56 PM.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    LeadWake bags

Quote Originally Posted by LAwake View Post
    Great info there, thanks. I have the upgraded software for AutoWake so I have the amplitude setting now but it just reads the total rear weight from what I understand. It's a 2017 so I don't have the new ballast sensors that Moomba's have now. One of my biggest issues I have with my Helix is getting the wave lengthened. That's why I had such a low pitch. I added bow weight and increased the speed a little. I can get a decent wave behind the boat but I have literally no length. I don't know if I'm expecting too much from a small sized boat and I'm getting everything I'm ever going to get or what. I just feel like I don't have much length and very little push. If I get toward the back of the wave and away from the boat, that's it, there's no getting back in the wave. It's like the pocket is so small that I can't get very far from the boat or else I'm out of the wave.
    I weigh 200, ride 4'8 Neo with upgraded fins, and have a long history of wakeboarding as well as ocean surfing so I feel like my skill set is there. This will be my 2nd summer wake surfing so I'm still learning and trying to progress.

I'm writing some of this info down and will take it with me this week when I go back out to dial things in.
    Also water depth makes a huge difference, 15+ is best.
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead

Quote Originally Posted by parrothd View Post
    Also water depth makes a huge difference, 15+ is best.
    I'm good there. Where we boat is anywhere from 25-140' deep.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    LeadWake bags

How fast are you surfing? Have you tried 11mph or more?

2017 Moomba Craz

How fast are you surfing? Have you tried 11mph or more?

Yea, I tried everything from 10.7 up to 11.7. I'm going to check my speed against a GPS app next time I'm out and just verify the speed is calibrated correctly.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    LeadWake bags

For me I find 11mph to get the best combo of height and length of the pocket.

For goofy foot I get around 10° of pitch and 5° of roll with my surf plate on the port at 65%and then for natural foot, the roll is closer to 3.5° with the starboard plate at 55%

Wake plate at 15% for a crew of 4 or more and 0% is only 2 or 3.

Also if you can have the boat slightly turning AWAY from the rider so you aren’t going totally straight. That really helps shape the wave for my height and curl.

2017 Moomba Craz

For me I find 11mph to get the best combo of height and length of the pocket.

For goofy foot I get around 10° of pitch and 5° of roll with my surf plate on the port at 65%and then for natural foot, the roll is closer to 3.5° with the starboard plate at 55%

Wake plate at 15% for a crew of 4 or more and 0% is only 2 or 3.

Also if you can have the boat slightly turning AWAY from the rider so you aren’t going totally straight. That really helps shape the wave for my height and curl.

Didn't think about having the boat angles away from the rider bu that makes sense. I'll look closer at my roll next time too. I've had a lot of weight on my surf side thinking that would give me a great wave but I think I'm so surf side heavy that it's actually counterproductive. I'm going to move some weight to the non surf side to get closer to the 3-4* roll and see how it looks. I assumed with more weight in the boat I would want more roll to get a better wave but now I'm hearing from most people that you still want to weight it to where you still stay between 3-5*.

I was hoping Goose would chime in and shed some light as well.

I appreciate the insight Stazi! You ever get to the Gulf Coast, I owe you some time behind the boat and several beers.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake
    Surf Edition
    WM Rears 1200s
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    LeadWake bags