Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Default AutoWake questions

Why aren't people running their boats on both banks. I don't understand this obsession with running on only one bank, doing this isolates the other bank from charging. If your batteries are setup up correctly you should have the stereo etc on one bank, and then the main power for the boat essentials on the other.
    This therefore does not preclude you from running both batteries on while driving, and they should be isolated so that even if you drain your stereo bank battery dead, you should not affect the starting/main battery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stazi; 08-23-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    2017 Moomba Craz

I believe most of us haven't been just because it said not to in the manual, it would cause alternator damage, the switch isn't an isolator , running it the both position would drain both batteries even if all of your stereo equipment was on one battery and the starting was on the other.
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

My batteries are always on a shore charger so there's not much reason to charge it while running. I keep it on bank 2 usually all the time and reserve bank 1 as a back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

to clarify a little , easier to do than to explain , but how I use the two banks at the moment , the added stereo equipment is connected at the battery, I chose battery 1, when the switch is placed in position 1 , now everything runs off of battery 1 , stereo and boat, and only battery 1 is charging, battery 2 is not being charged, but since nothing is connected to it at the terminals and switch is in position 1 , battery 2 is not being used for anything, it is there for a back up only, , if you put the switch into the 2 position, now battery 2 charges and everything in the boat will run off battery 2, but since amps are on battery 1 it will drain battery 1 and not charge, if I put the switch in the both position, both batteries will charge, but the switch merely connects the two banks, so even if i were to sit and only listen to music , the stereo would draw off of both banks, you will get more time out of it, but it would still drain both batteries. Now that it has been some what proven that you can run in the both position, if you were to add a 100 amp isolator into the system , you very easily could set it up so both batteries charged but your amps and stereo would still only draw off of one battery
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Was reading this thread and felt like deja vu...another, simultaneous thread on this topic also happening here: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....h-Outing/page3
    2004 Mobius XLV
    340hp Indmar Assault MPI
    Gravity Games III package
    Dual batteries with switch
    Mako light bar and racks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyMobius View Post
    Was reading this thread and felt like deja vu...another, simultaneous thread on this topic also happening here: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....h-Outing/page3
    Very interesting... I read that thread and some good stuff on there. thanks for the link.
    Matt Brown
    Product Development Manager

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Very interesting... I read that thread and some good stuff on there. thanks for the link.
    Goose - not to completely hijack this AutoWake thread (which is awesome BTW) but I think maybe now you can see why there is some confusion on the battery setting. If I'm following along correctly, you have said you personally use the battery "1 + 2" setting all the time on the R&D boats and that is what you recommend. That being said, it contradicts what we are told in the Owner's Manual (quoted in the other thread).

Is the Owner's Manual being overly cautious in advising that the "1+2" setting only be used in emergency situations? What about the ground differentiation mentioned in respect to sensitive electronics onboard?

TIA for any clarification!
    2017 Moomba Craz Surf Edition
    Flow 2.0 Surf System w/ AutoWake™
    5,600 Lbs Ballast - Enzos + Lead + Sumo
    Wet Sounds REV10s + REVO12-XXX

I think the real question is how much will it cost to upgrade to autowake 2.0?

David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    I think the real question is how much will it cost to upgrade to autowake 2.0?

I have asked my dealer this question and he said he will get me some numbers. Plan to do it when I next make the 6 hour drive to my dealer.
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by RC_Hinojosa View Post
    Goose - not to completely hijack this AutoWake thread (which is awesome BTW) but I think maybe now you can see why there is some confusion on the battery setting. If I'm following along correctly, you have said you personally use the battery "1 + 2" setting all the time on the R&D boats and that is what you recommend. That being said, it contradicts what we are told in the Owner's Manual (quoted in the other thread).

Is the Owner's Manual being overly cautious in advising that the "1+2" setting only be used in emergency situations? What about the ground differentiation mentioned in respect to sensitive electronics onboard?

TIA for any clarification!
    That is a good question and I will try to answer it as best as I can....

The guy that wrote that sits in the office next to mine. His job is customer service. As many of you know, they deal with problems all day because most of you happy customers never call him to tell him how much you love your boat. Because of that, they sometimes come across a little on the conservative side and especially conservative when we have prior issues with items. As the boats have gotten more electronically advanced, we have had issues with sensitive electronics. Some of that is our fault, some has been vendor issues, but truth is we have also had some issues that could have been avoided IF people would have used a little more common sense to start with. Again, that is when we really get overly conservative on the owners manual side. It reminds me of the warning on the coffee cup that says the liquid inside is hot. Granted, that was probably because of a stupid lawsuit, but I think you get my point.

Anyways, IF you use 2 different style batteries that have different voltages, then you could absolutely get ground differentiation. And having ground differentiation can cause ground loops and other issues. So, part of that statement is true. However, the way it currently reads, it sounds like it will definitely happen all the time and that part is not true. As I and others have said, we highly recommend you use 2 of the exact same style batteries that are sized appropriately and keep them properly charged. If you do that, then you should not have ground differentiation and in fact running them on the both switch location would probably help keep them from having ground differentiation to start with.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. We are actually planning to change how we word that for the 2018 owners manuals.
    Matt Brown
    Product Development Manager