Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Best weekend yet with the Mondo. Here’s the steps we used to let Autowake run the show but help it get the biggest wake.
    1. Fill all three stock ballast to 100%. I actually increased my timers to 6:30 on the rear and 10:30 on the front to make sure we had water spitting out the sides before the timers hit 100% and turned off.
    2. Set the switch to the side we were going to start on and told my six passengers to sit towards the back corner of the surf side.
    3. Turned on Autowake in static mode and checked pitch and roll. Moved people around to get to -2 roll and 0.5 pitch. This is autowake’s Static Autowake Achieved target for regular surfers. We moved around quickly before Autowake had a chance to drain any ballast.
    4. Throttle up but have 1 or 2 people ready to move. As soon as you hit speed and the Autowake countdown started move a few people to get to the magical 9 degrees of pitch and -3 roll (or within a half degree).
    5. Let Autowake do it’s job and enjoy the surf.
    6. Whenever the surfer fell we’d check tanks by flipping one ( or all three) to fill. We found that very little ballast had drained (less than 3 %) in most cases.
    We’d refill tanks after every fall and leave autowake off while returning to get the surfer as people were often up or moving around and we didn’t want Autowake trying to achieve static mode while we were bobbing in the waves.

Doing this we’re we’re able to get a great wake out of our little boat with just the stock 2300 lbs of ballast, no lead and about 1000lbs of people in the boat.

A few pointers. If I was filling the tanks and water started to overflow, we’d turn off the fill and set that timer to 100%. That way the boat knew it was full and also the drain timer would make sure it ran long enough to drain at the end of the day.

I also calibrated my roll first thing yesterday morning, first with a level in the boat and just me moving the seats around to get the boat level. Then testing at 18mph with zero ballast and watching for a perfectly symmetrical wake. My inclinometer was out 2 degrees.

Matt I can I check the pitch the same way, with a level on the floor of the boat? Obviously I can’t check pitch while running.

I had one other issue. I got a white screen in my navigation screen and then when I tried to go back to the home screen, my screen went dark. When I was back at the dock, I turned the boat off and on but still no screen. Only turning the battery master switch to off, then back on allowed my screen to reboot. It happened again later today and when trying every button I accidentally turned on my cruise and we slowed down to 11 mph. So the computer is still working, it’s just my screen going down.

Any ideas out there?

2018 Mondo, stock ballast 2300 lbs

just want to echo a previous posting. I have a brand new Moomba Craz 2017 and I was completely confused what autowake was and how to use and I googled Moomba autowake and found this--it's been great! It would be really helpful if I had known about this sooner I also have one question. Sometimes when we are surfing we are forced to turn by another boat in our path....the wave consistently falls apart and I essentially have to stop and restart to get a surfable wave. Is there anything I can do? Thanks!

Interesting that you say you have to stop completely.
    The wave will definitely change shape if you are making turns, and I have found that if you turn into the direction of the side the wave is on it will flatten out and conversely if you turn away from the wave, it will steepen. But as soon as you straighten out the wave will be as it was before you started turning. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do, to keep the wave perfectly the same, if you are making turns. This is because the tilt of the boat directly influences wave shape.
    On our lake, at one end we need to make a tight 180° turn (probably a 200’ diameter circle), and when we do, the rider has to come up close to the boat to stay in the truncated sweet spot, until we complete the turn and straighten out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Moomba Craz

Cassandra,

Maybe while you’re turning Autowake is trying to fix your pitch and roll by draining or filling tanks. Then when you straighten out everything is off. One solution would be to flip one of your pump switches to fill for a couple seconds before making your turn. This will turn Autowake off but leave your cruise speed set. Then nothing will change while turning. After you straighten out, your wave should return to exactly the way you had it after the turn. You can turn Autowake on again by pressing the left button. After a countdown, Autowake will become active and start monitoring your pitch and roll and adjusting the ballast levels.

Hope this helps.

Dave

2018 Mondo, stock ballast 2300 lbs

Sounds like your surf plate got screwed up, not sure how that would happen buy turning, but my goofy plate was acting up Saturday, I had it set for 80% and stock autowake setting, and would get autowake achieved, but the wave was complete crap. Would stop go again, nothing, then cycled the switch for the plates a couple of times , then it worked, the plate was stuck at 40% even though it said it was at 80%

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

You might also check what your wakeplate is doing when it does this, I've had mine also go to 100% on its own several times while surfing, with cruise set surfing, and with autowake set surfing, and it would reset back to where I had it set after stopping and going again.
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Hi Matt, the static Autowake target numbers have been a huge help. For those that missed it try to get your boat at .5 pitch and either -2 roll or +2.5 roll depending on the surf side while sitting still waiting for the surfer to be ready. We do this by moving people to reduce the loss of ballast. I didn’t even realize that Autowake was trying to work while we were sitting still. We never got to "static Autowake achieved" before so I assumed that it was just letting me know that "static Autowake active" meant Autowake was ready to start working once we hit cruise speed. I was always a little miffed that I would see Autowake inactive right after throttle up but then I realized that you don’t want Autowake working while your pitch and roll are stabilizing. Looking forward to another great weekend - can't wait for holidays. Our lake has just hit a balmy 68 F. Hope you southerners appreciate what you have...

Quote Originally Posted by goose View Post
    Hey guys. The factory defaults for current boats is 70% port plate (for surfing goofy) and 60% stbd plate (for surfing regular). That should be in the owners manual, but if not, I will see if we can add it....

On the pitch and roll, that should also be in the manual, but should also display on the screen. The goofy roll is 5 degrees and the regular roll is 3 degrees. Pitch is 9 degrees for both.

The difference in plate deflection and roll is because of prop rotation and having to roll more because of it.

As some have mentioned, you might find different roll angles work better. For example, if you surf regular all the time, then maybe 4 or 5 degrees works better. If you want to transfer a lot, then maybe less roll works better. But rolling the boat is how the surf wave is created so you will just have to find what roll angle is best for you.

Also, I can't mention roll without again mentioning displacement. Most of you are starting to understand how much I stress displacement. IF you don't have much displacement, then you should stick pretty close to the factory defaults. However, as you start adding more displacement, then you can start experimenting with different angles. Moving the roll to a drastic angle WITHOUT adding displacement will very likely give you WORSE waves. The reason for that is because if you don't add roll with passenger weight, then the only way AutoWake can achieve a drastic roll will be to DRAIN ballast on other side. Roll without displacement will ALWAYS result in small waves. It might "look" better, but it will not have push. On the flip side of that, a boat with a LOT of displacement might not have roll perfect and the wave may not "look" perfect, but the overall displacement will generate push and when surfing, the main thing people complain about is not enough push. Pitch and Roll really have very little to do with push. Push is almost 100% displacement.
    Matt, I have a quick question concerning AW and pitch and roll. I've been using AW for the last several weeks and I have to say that I've learned a ton just by watching it and anticipating it's next move. It's made me better as I tweak my wave. I have a 2017 Helix and it's maxed out as far as weight/ballast goes. I'm at the "legal" limit and maxed on on AMP. I know that the default regular surf is 9/-3 with stock ballast. My question deals with pitch and roll now that I'm maxed out on displacement. I've figured out that a lower pitch seems to produce a shorter/longer length wave and higher than 9 equals a steeper/ shorter length wave. My main question is about roll. With me having additional rear weight, lead bags throughout, and more weight in my lockers surf side, my roll is a good bit higher than 3. Is there a point of TOO MUCH roll where the wave isn't shaped correctly/not ideal or is it all just personal preference. Is the (3) roll just the optimal number you guys discovered with the stock ballast? I'm new to surfing so I'm learning. I've got a decent wave now but I want to work to dial it in and get the most out of my boat that I can so I didn't know if there was a point where I shouldn't try to get too much roll or if you want to get as much as you can.
    2017 Moomba Helix
    Flow 2.0
    AutoWake