Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2017 Craz Surf Settings

Hi all,

New to the forum so please let me know if there's a better spot for this post. Did some reading in other posts and elsewhere and I've gotten some good tips but thought I'd ask a few questions anyway.

'17 Craz with surf edition, 900lbs each rear and 700lbs front according to dealer. Dealer set timers for ballast fill so assuming they reach true capacity. Factory settings for Auto Wake (9.0 pitch, 5.0 roll for Starboard surfing, port plate/surf tab set to 70) - (8.0 pitch, -3.0 roll, 60 starboard plate/surf tab for Surf Left).

We've played with speed and wake plate settings trying to get longer wave with bigger sweet spot. We've also tried to not use Auto Wake and just fill bags to 100 surf side, 70 non surf side and anywhere from 60-100 on front bag.

This past weekend we had more passengers than ever so we tried to use both Auto Wake and manual to get good wave. We got better as day went on. Regular surfers (off port side) seemed to have the best wave. I'm goofy foot off starboard side (as is my son and wife). I did manage to drop rope and stay in sweet spot for decent amount of time, but still found wave steep and short. I was quite close to boat to really feel the pull from the wave. Obviously we are still learning to surf so there's that as a factor. But we'd like to get the boat as dialed in as possible to shorten our learning curve.

Riding Phase 5 Diamond CL boards, mine at 57", other board is 54".

GPS app and Garmin watch both verified boat is running faster than speedo shows. At 10.5 on boat I was seeing upwards of 12 on two diff apps and Garmin watch. Changed paddle wheel offset from .5 to 0. Didn't seem to affect speedo much. Have tried surfing from 9.5 on speedo, up to 10.7. We live at 1320 feet elevation. Boat was water tested by dealer who is at 3425 feet elevation, not sure if that plays a difference.

We don't have center ballast and not sure if it's possible to upgrade and add one on the '17 Craz.

Is there a minimum preferred depth of water to get best pull?

Thoughts, tips or tricks from others with the Craz?

Quote Originally Posted by lidsterl View Post
    Hi all,

New to the forum so please let me know if there's a better spot for this post. Did some reading in other posts and elsewhere and I've gotten some good tips but thought I'd ask a few questions anyway.

'17 Craz with surf edition, 900lbs each rear and 700lbs front according to dealer. Dealer set timers for ballast fill so assuming they reach true capacity. Factory settings for Auto Wake (9.0 pitch, 5.0 roll for Starboard surfing, port plate/surf tab set to 70) - (8.0 pitch, -3.0 roll, 60 starboard plate/surf tab for Surf Left).

We've played with speed and wake plate settings trying to get longer wave with bigger sweet spot. We've also tried to not use Auto Wake and just fill bags to 100 surf side, 70 non surf side and anywhere from 60-100 on front bag.

This past weekend we had more passengers than ever so we tried to use both Auto Wake and manual to get good wave. We got better as day went on. Regular surfers (off port side) seemed to have the best wave. I'm goofy foot off starboard side (as is my son and wife). I did manage to drop rope and stay in sweet spot for decent amount of time, but still found wave steep and short. I was quite close to boat to really feel the pull from the wave. Obviously we are still learning to surf so there's that as a factor. But we'd like to get the boat as dialed in as possible to shorten our learning curve.

Riding Phase 5 Diamond CL boards, mine at 57", other board is 54".

GPS app and Garmin watch both verified boat is running faster than speedo shows. At 10.5 on boat I was seeing upwards of 12 on two diff apps and Garmin watch. Changed paddle wheel offset from .5 to 0. Didn't seem to affect speedo much. Have tried surfing from 9.5 on speedo, up to 10.7. We live at 1320 feet elevation. Boat was water tested by dealer who is at 3425 feet elevation, not sure if that plays a difference.

We don't have center ballast and not sure if it's possible to upgrade and add one on the '17 Craz.

Is there a minimum preferred depth of water to get best pull?

Thoughts, tips or tricks from others with the Craz?
    You will need the 500 IBS under the bow seats if you want to stretch that wave out. I have a 16 craz that is about as dialed as it gets. It being a 16, I can't help you with the autowake settings, but I can help with general weight placement. I have larger bags than you in the rear, but I do run the 500 IBS in the nose, as well as an additional 400 pounds of steel under the bow filler cushion. My wave is long and has tons of push. What are your surf tabs and wakeplate set at?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

I have a 2016 Craz and it sounds like Autowake makes the learning curve way more complicated. I have 1100's in rear and 700 center with 500 ibs. I am fairly new to the sport but at 240 lbs. and on a Hyperlite Broadcast I can surf 10 ft. back ropeless on regular side all day long. For myself, I have surf tab at 35-40%, wakeplate all the way up speed at 10.5 and all sacs at 100% capacity. That is with only my wife driving and my 10 year-old in the boat also. Add a large crew and it only gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mattsask View Post
    You will need the 500 IBS under the bow seats if you want to stretch that wave out. I have a 16 craz that is about as dialed as it gets. It being a 16, I can't help you with the autowake settings, but I can help with general weight placement. I have larger bags than you in the rear, but I do run the 500 IBS in the nose, as well as an additional 400 pounds of steel under the bow filler cushion. My wave is long and has tons of push. What are your surf tabs and wakeplate set at?

Dealer told me with the Craz Surf Edition I had 900's in the rear so I assumed 700 under how seats. According to another '17 owner on forum it's 650's in rear and 500 under middle and 700 under now for a total of 2500. He upgraded to 1100's in rear to achieve optimal wave. He also changed prop to 15x13, I'm running stock 14.25x14.5

I'm running port surf tab at 65-70 and change wake plate to see wave change but usually it is 15-25 down.

Speedo needs proper calibration. We found using 2-3 different gps to test it that's its running fast. Have tried to live speed around to lengthen wave.

We will use manual setup to achieve wave and then once we get it we can switch to auto wake to see pitch and roll and then change auto wake settings to hit those #'s if we want to make use of it. Personally I'd say auto wake is a bit of a selling feature. Can help the newbie and it seems to create decent wave on regular side. But goofy side takes some work

Thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Craz surf edition you should have 650 rear 700 center hard tank , and 500 is. The surf max is same other than 900 rears ,
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

With 1140 rears , a 150 bag under port rear seat , a 150 bag under bow filler , 4 people in boat we were running the auto wake at 8.5 pitch and -4.5 roll for regular , speed 11 - 11.3 , I fill everything full and after were going move people or use tabs and wake plate to get the auto wake to the set points ,
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Our boat is the Surf Max with 900's in rear, and I believe a 500 in center and 700 under bow, for 3,000lbs total. Came with OJ 945 prop. I'm going to test the timers to make sure each ballast is actually reaching capacity and then keep trying to adjust the surf tabs, wake plate and speed. Hopefully get it dialed in soon. So many factors to play with but helps having a forum to get ideas and advice!

We are likely getting the bow filler cushion for next year and likely add a bag under there as well. The rear bags at 900lbs each we will keep for rest of this season and see how we do before swapping them out. Might get a 500lbs bag to sit on seat behind driver on the surf side. All 3 in our family are goofy foot so having an extra bag on seat when it's just the three of us surfing isn't an issue space wise.

Quote Originally Posted by lidsterl View Post
    Our boat is the Surf Max with 900's in rear, and I believe a 500 in center and 700 under bow, for 3,000lbs total. Came with OJ 945 prop. I'm going to test the timers to make sure each ballast is actually reaching capacity and then keep trying to adjust the surf tabs, wake plate and speed. Hopefully get it dialed in soon. So many factors to play with but helps having a forum to get ideas and advice!

We are likely getting the bow filler cushion for next year and likely add a bag under there as well. The rear bags at 900lbs each we will keep for rest of this season and see how we do before swapping them out. Might get a 500lbs bag to sit on seat behind driver on the surf side. All 3 in our family are goofy foot so having an extra bag on seat when it's just the three of us surfing isn't an issue space wise.
    Sounds close, but you've got the center/bow mixed up. Center is 700, bow is 500. Not that it makes a difference, just trying to make sure you're well informed.

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.

Thanks for the posts, we are trying to dial in a 17' surf edition. Will take some of the above suggestions. My brother and nephew are std, while myself and Niece are goofy. So far we are pretty happy with the Wake but certainly want to maximize it as we improve our skills. Currently we are filling both rear sacks to 100% and center to 45% wave plate at 75% and cruise at 9.3, have not verified speed. Let us know what you think. We are on vaca and surfing a couple times a day for the next 7 days and would love to be dialed before we are done.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I would start with running your wakeplate all the way up. If your intention was to use the wakeplate to make the wave longer, I would do that as a last resort. Instead, try increasing bow weight and speed in order to stretch the wave and make it firmer. Your overall ballast is quite low, so I would try to increase that as much as possible. I run between 11 -12.5 mph, but I have twice the ballast you do, so my suggestion might not necessarily work for you. Verify speed next outing

2016 Craz.
    Enzo bags.