Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with swim step

I need some help/advice with a problem that just started with my swim step. The black decking on it turns feet/hands, whatever, black when you touch it. This just started last week, and it only happens when the decking is wet. I've got black foot marks all through my boat now, and they're kind of a pain to get off. The rubber looks fine and doesn't appear to be breaking down, and it's not lifting at all, and this is only my fourth summer with the boat. What gives? Should I be treating the rubber the way you would teak? If so, with what? Or should I just try to replace the decking/rubber, which seems like a pain in the rear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cola - '03 Outback LSV

Default Replying to Topic 'Problem with swim step'

Everyone that has a fiberglass swim platform has this problem from what i have read. I do. I just purchased and '06 and they are now using a different material. It doesn't eliminate the problem, but from what I've noticed it's a little better. I've read a lot about GatorGrip and I'd like to try it for some of my other areas.

www.wakejunky.com for GatorGrip

There have been a lot of threads on this topic, search to find out what people have done. Just to note, I never had a problem with my '03. I wonder if it had anything to do with keeping it garaged?

Yes, it does a bit. The problem seems to be breakdown of the rubber from UV. The current workaround is to use 303 Protectant on the pad before you put it away. This has excellent UV protectants, and it that greatly reduces the breakdown and therefore the rubber remains soft and does not release the black stains.

-Joe

I wasnt having this problem in the first season with my boat however this year it was really annoying the crap out of me. What I have done is every time right before I go out I use a rubber cleaner conditioner and I do A light application then scrub it off. Take the top layer that seems to cause the problem off. Then I do a longer application of the cleaner conditioner with UV protectant let is sit for about 5 minutes rub it in and remove the excess. It has made a huge difference.

Has anyone started usin a cover for their swim platform?? I remember a prvious post that said a couple guys were gonna try this..

Cheers
    2005 Moomba Outback

I don't have this problem, but I also garage my boat. I tried using 303 when I first got the boat as a preventative. The first time I stepped on the wet platform, when I was on the lake, I slipped and about killed myself. If you're going to use it, make sure that you wipe the platform down with water once you get on the lake. Otherwise, you end up putting on a show for the rest of the boat.

Dave

This is definitely a UV issue. I normally take my swim platform off and store it in the garage when I have my boat at home. Last week the boat sat at the dealership all week for service with the platform on. The weekend after, I started having this problem for the first time. From now on, I'm taking my platform off and leaving it at home while the boat's at the dealership. I just hope a good scrub down of the platform and an application of 303 will resolve the current problem.

Thanks to all who replied. My boat has lived in the garage since new and I'm the most anal person on earth when it comes to maintenance. But...the damn thing still bleeds black. I've tried the 303 since I first posted and it seems to have helped a little, but by the end of the day on the water, it's all jacked up again. Skier's choice (Brian Raymond) said my dealer would send me new decking and SC would cover it. I hope. Thanks again to all for the input!

Thanks to all who replied. My boat has lived in the garage since new and I'm the most anal person on earth when it comes to maintenance. But...the damn thing still bleeds black. I've tried the 303 since I first posted and it seems to have helped a little, but by the end of the day on the water, it's all jacked up again. Skier's choice (Brian Raymond) said my dealer would send me new decking and SC would cover it. I hope. Thanks again to all for the input!
    Cola - '03 Outback LSV

I took my platform off and stored it in the garage this week. I gave it a good scrub down and an application of 303 aerospace before going out this weekend, and it appears that the problem is solved. No black crap everwhere this time out.