Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Educate me on fins

OK, I get the concept of fin size and to some degree, shape. But what about placement. I have a crappy board and it came w/three fins.

What differences would I expect (other than it'll be looser) if I remove only the center fin versus leaving the center fin and removing the two side fins? Does either configuration improve speed/responsiveness? I plan on trying both out next week, but historically there never seems to be enough time on the water for experimentation. Can I squeeze any tiny bit of better performance out of a throwdown board?
    2016 Craz

You would do better to explain exactly what board you have. I used to experiment with my Broadcast when it was the only board we had. It had 3 fins and was boring but easy to ride. Going to a single fin made it a bit more slippery and helped it turn easier but that was not the best setup. We tried removing the center fin and leaving the two outer ones. It made the board way more fun to ride. But, it was still a Broadcast so it was limited. Nothing like the newer boards we got later on.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

It's a CWB Ride. I think I'll try removing the center fin 1st.
    2016 Craz

remove the front fin too if you haven't already. The Ride is a pretty heavy board. I wouldn't expect to much out of it. It's a board where it is very easy to just ride in straight path all day long.
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

You're saying remove all three?
    2016 Craz

No. My Ride had a fin in the front and three in the rear. Maybe they changed configurations over the years.
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

Yeah, it just has the three in the rear
    2016 Craz

Remove the center fins
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I have a ride as well, I'm going to remove center fin this weekend and see the changes it makes. I just installed 1100 last weekend, so really just finding the feeling of surfing with no tow from the boat. Looking forward to upgrading the board soon (to what. . .I have no idea).
    2017 Mojo Surf Edition
    2017 F-150 XLT Tow Vehicle

-----------Other Toys-----------
    2007 Honda AquaTrax F-12X
    1994 Toyota Supra Turbo

LOL, Looks like everybody has a Ride. Definitely post up the results because you guessed it, I have a RIDE too

I did buy a Driftsun Throwdown, I'm going to test it this weekend and I'll post what I think compared to the RIDE.

The Ride is a heavy board for sure, the Throwdown is alot lighter and a few inches shorter as well.
    2015 Mojo Surf