Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My wife's friend had us over the other day and I was looking around. He's got a surround system for movies, TV, etc. and then a different setup with different speakers in the same room for music. I made a comment about it and he put on some music. All became clear-- very clear.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    On a bit of a tangent....never been a fan of most of the home audio horn speakers and their typical sonic signature....some of it being exceptional but some of it being hard for me to tolerate for long. Until I heard some recent higher end JBLs. So good in fact that I was looking around for the DSP but there wasn't any. All passive. If you ever get the opportunity to hear the JBL 1400 Array or the JBL K2S9900, go out of your way to do so. Incredible!
    I'll have to if I ever get the chance. the only horns I have ever heard and actually liked were a set of speakerworks in a car back in the early 90's but they were VERY heavily controlled by a whole lotta audiocontrol upstream.

I get the rev10 concept for wakeboarding but I really wish WS would put a large driver conventional speaker together for surfers or party cove. the musicality would be appreciated for near field listening.
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    I get the rev10 concept for wakeboarding but I really wish WS would put a large driver conventional speaker together for surfers or party cove. the musicality would be appreciated for near field listening.
    ^^^THIS...have been thinking the same for some time! We truly don't use tower speakers much other than when we are just anchored up and floating around the boat. Water travels to well over water and I don't want the home owner's on the lake to have a reason to look any further down their noses at wakeboats. In addition, there is something special of the sound of water under the board that blasting music takes away.

I might need to pull out my Carver system. I spent $5k back in 1981 for the system but everything has been boxed up since the room remodel. Everything takes up so much room and used very little but holding onto the components after seeing the price people pay for it.
    1998 Mobius
    310 HP PCM
    SOLD

I totally agree. Wetsounds did a great job on the original non-HLCD dedicated-marine Surf Speaker, the Icon8. But doing the same scaled up into a larger 10" version has its challenges. You can only get the mids of a 10" midbass driver to go so high....and you can only get a 1" metal dome tweeter to go so low. So you end up with a major null in the middle. MB Quart somewhat solved this in the early '00s in a marine 10" coaxial with dual domes. JL Audio solved this in the M880 with a larger 1.2" low-resonance soft-dome. So, while I'm not in the Wetsounds loop, I have my suspicions why this hasn't been done yet. I am confident that when/if Wetsounds does deliver such a product that they'll do it right.

I'll have to if I ever get the chance. the only horns I have ever heard and actually liked were a set of speakerworks in a car back in the early 90's but they were VERY heavily controlled by a whole lotta audiocontrol upstream.
    Right, and you can apply the exact same principle at this time to the Wetsounds Rev10 with an Audio Control EQ or a JL Audio DSP. To gain linearity or warmth, you would give up some amplitude and projection, but all surf speaker alternatives do the same. Some of the DSP units have different memory settings, so you could apply different curves to three typical situations, as in 'at rest', 'surf', and 'wake'. If you are going to impose equalization on a speaker, it would help if the speaker could handle a great deal of power and was moldable, and that describes the larger 10" Wetsounds Rev10.

Just curious.. I am running an HLCD tower setup powered properly, they are amazing at wakeboard lengths and also sound great while surfing....everyone seems they want their towers to do all the work, why not invest some money to upgrade your in boat speakers and a good sub with a zone controller of choice? At that point you can turn down your towers, turn up your cabins and sub and have great sound no matter what you are doing? You'll see that I'm all Exile, but my buddy running all Wet Sounds does the same thing with his Rev 10s and sounds great at all volumes and situations as well.....
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by zabooda View Post
    I might need to pull out my Carver system. I spent $5k back in 1981 for the system but everything has been boxed up since the room remodel. Everything takes up so much room and used very little but holding onto the components after seeing the price people pay for it.

Love carver and klipsch , did out The McIntosh
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold