Thread: Sub not working

Default Sub not working

Out on the lake the other day and my sub slowly started sounding worse and worse and then just quit can u check what I call continuity across the positive and negative terminals to see if a sub is pooched or how would I check wether the speaker is done or I have to start digging deeper also it's not a marine sub just an old one I had lying around that I threw in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 outbackv

Yes you can check it. Sounds toasted...
    2018 Supra SL550
    2017 Supra SE450

I would also check the amp's power cable voltage. If you do find a blown woofer, you need to find the root cause before replacing.

When measuring the VC, the normal DC resistance is generally about 80% of the rated nominal impedance. So don't be alarmed by a different number.
    Evenly from both sides of the cone, so that it remains centered and so that you don't cause the contact, gently move the cone in and out, and check for excessive VC contact/rubbing/scraping. You may also discover a seized VC with a frozen cone.
    When the insulation coating of the VC windings begin to melt and burn, this emits a distinctive odor, another tell tale sign of damage in progress.
    As MLA suggested, if you do toast a woofer (which has yet to be determined), you should analyze your system so that you don't have a repeat performance. Power. Crossover. Enclosure. Port tuning. EQ. Usage.

Thanks Dave I'm certain it's blown now with out even checking it because it was stinking like something I've never smelt before it wasn't even burnt plastic smell

2013 outbackv

Thanks for you help guys

2013 outbackv

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Thanks Dave I'm certain it's blown now with out even checking it because it was stinking like something I've never smelt before it wasn't even burnt plastic smell

There's really one cause for a burnt voice coil....too much power....regardless of how you achieve too much power.

Yeah I had a javelin amp that's pushing 800w and I don't even know what the mtx sub I was using was good for I just had it out of one of my old cars sure the reason was I was pushing it to hard and I might have had bass boost on my phone

2013 outbackv

Ahhhh.....

The smell of burning Kapton in the morning......

Phil
    Kicker

Quote Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
    Ahhhh.....

The smell of burning Kapton in the morning......

Phil
    Kicker
    I call that bold talk.