Gents, I need a little bit of help troubleshooting. First off, the tower speakers are working properly (Kicker HLCDs fed off a kicker 500.2). The cabin speakers (6 of the original Kenwoods that came from the factory) and sub (stock kenwood) are fed from a Kicker 700.5. The 2 bow speakers are each on a channel and 4 rear cabin speakers are wired in parallel on two channels with the sub on its own channel.

Yesterday, the cabin speakers did not work. I looked inside and saw the red light flashing on the 700.5. I had kids waiting to wakeboard so I turned off the stereo and waited on troubleshooting. Today, I went to check it out and had the same thing. The amp is intermittent at best. It worked for about 5 seconds when I turned it on and them the red light started flashing indicating protect mode. It will come on intermittently for about 1 second out of 10 then the lights start flashing again.

I assume one of the speakers is bad. This happened a few years ago with the tower speakers when I was running the stock setup of kenwood coaxials (same speakers in the tower that I still have in the cabin). I actually still have 3 replacements in the attic from when I swapped the tower out for the kickers. My question is, how do I test the speakers adequately? Can I just put the multimeter on and check for the proper resistance (ohms)?

I have made no other change to the system and the amp seems to be getting adequate power (will verify tomorrow). Is there anything else I should be checking? What is the proper procedure to determine if I have a bad speaker or a faulty amplifier? I'll start messing with it in the morning. I guess I can just start swapping speakers but there must be a better way to test them.

As always, thanks for the help. You guys rock.