Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So you have a non-infinite baffle subwoofer being used in an IB application but without front to rear acoustic isolation. By now the woofer's spider is probably completely fatigued and shot. So the subwoofer is not getting any type of control damping, not acoustically, not mechanically, and only electrically from the amplifier, which isn't near enough. This would certainly invite failure.
    Given these circumstances, the bass boost should be zero, the lowpass crossover point should be inordinately high (perhaps 120 Hz.), and the gain should be modest.
    But it may be too late. Given that the amplifier is going into protection so soon and easily, you may be well beyond fixing it by simply changing the settings.
    At this time you should fully inspect the subwoofer. Voice coil contact (rubbing, scrapping). The DCR, which should be about 80% of the rated impedance. And perhaps more conclusive would be to beg for or borrow a known and enclosed subwoofer to use as a temporary substitute.
    Then, with a test sub, whether or not the amplifier continues to go into protection would be a strong indication as to where the true problem lies.

Quote Originally Posted by David Analog View Post
    So you have a non-infinite baffle subwoofer being used in an IB application but without front to rear acoustic isolation. By now the woofer's spider is probably completely fatigued and shot. So the subwoofer is not getting any type of control damping, not acoustically, not mechanically, and only electrically from the amplifier, which isn't near enough. This would certainly invite failure.
    Given these circumstances, the bass boost should be zero, the lowpass crossover point should be inordinately high (perhaps 120 Hz.), and the gain should be modest.
    But it may be too late. Given that the amplifier is going into protection so soon and easily, you may be well beyond fixing it by simply changing the settings.
    At this time you should fully inspect the subwoofer. Voice coil contact (rubbing, scrapping). The DCR, which should be about 80% of the rated impedance. And perhaps more conclusive would be to beg for or borrow a known and enclosed subwoofer to use as a temporary substitute.
    Then, with a test sub, whether or not the amplifier continues to go into protection would be a strong indication as to where the true problem lies.
    Now I'm infinitely baffled.

In all honesty I was planning to do a new sub anyway. That level of troubleshooting above visual inspection is going to be past the limit of what I can accomplish in any reasonable amount of time.

I contacted the local wetsounds dealer about a possible tower upgrade in the fall and I may just add that to the list. Stuff just gets pricey fast.... I just want to be able to hear the music at wakeboard range and in the boat. I fly a military aircraft with 8 engines for a living...my hearing is not that good.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to pull it and take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom