Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default favorite method of payment from a stranger??

Just curious....when you sell a boat or a car to an absolute stranger (for large sums), what is your preferred method of payment?

Certified cashiers check, cash, etc
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

I met the buyer at the bank. It was convenient for both parties as their new loan was going through the same CU as I used.
    2017 Centurion Ri237
    2013 Supra SA450 - Sold
    2006 Mobius LSV - Sold
    2004 Stingray 190LS - Sold
    2016 Nissan Titan XD - Tow Rig

just sold a boat for 46k. bank wire from his to mine. did not ship until wire had cleared and my bank ok'ed the funds.
    sold several cars same way and shipped. this is my preferred method for selling to out of state and not in person. in person, meet at your bank for funds straight from your bank.

cash, to me, is too cumbersome once you get over the 5 to 7k range and cashiers checks can be forged anymore. this is assuming a local payment.

I did have several people that offered to send funds for over the selling price, have me pay the transport and for my trouble, would include a few thousand extra... this sounded very appealing but boat had already been sold..
    '06 Supra Launch 20SSV-gone but never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post

I did have several people that offered to send funds for over the selling price, have me pay the transport and for my trouble, would include a few thousand extra... this sounded very appealing but boat had already been sold..
    Were they a Namibian Price and also offered to give you a huge inheritance?

The sad thing is that people fall for those scams all the time.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by sandm View Post
    just sold a boat for 46k. bank wire from his to mine. did not ship until wire had cleared and my bank ok'ed the funds.
    sold several cars same way and shipped. this is my preferred method for selling to out of state and not in person. in person, meet at your bank for funds straight from your bank.

cash, to me, is too cumbersome once you get over the 5 to 7k range and cashiers checks can be forged anymore. this is assuming a local payment.
    x2. I'd be comfortable with a little more cash but I'd take one of the pens and mark a few random bills. Until my bank ok's the funds, I'm not realizing the item. And as mentioned, that's not necessarily the case with cashiers checks.
    2016 Moomba Mojo
    2006 Supra 24SSV - Traded

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    I'd take one of the pens and mark a few random bills.
    like this??

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Geary View Post
    Just curious....when you sell a boat or a car to an absolute stranger (for large sums), what is your preferred method of payment?

Certified cashiers check, cash, etc
    Ed - I met the New York buyer at a Virginia interstate highway exit, accepted a cashier's check, signed over the title, and said goodbye to the Outback. The buyer several weeks prior had been in Virginia to check out the boat. Satisfied, we agreed on price and that a cashier's check would be the form of payment. Worked well for both of us. Good luck. - Stuart
    2007 Outback - SOLD June 2016
    2012 RAM Crew Cab
    2015 Subaru Forester
    Stuart

"When you first start out with something new, you're always a little uptight." - Don Rickles

Stuart! Thx. Sent you a PM
    2003 Outback Sold (went to Oklahoma)

2009 Outback V Sold (stayed in Florida)

Cashier's checks are as easy to forge as personal checks. If I'm selling I want the money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I'll meet at their bank and have them count it out to me. Go ahead and try to take it from me. Make my day.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

kane is right. I would not take a cashiers check for anything.