Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Doomswell Fins

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman131 View Post
    Fins aren't board specific. A particular board doesn't ride better with a specific fin. Fin selection is personal - your size & what you want to do on the board, how the board reacts, etc is how fins should be selected.

We went through dozens of setups & fins before finding the right combination. You need to experiment on your own & find what works best for you.

What he said ^^^^
    '06 Outback - Gone but not forgotten
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by jmbushey View Post
    Would you recommend jj groms on a neo too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you are running the white thermotech fins the JJG's will def bring that board to life. Do you have two or four fin boxes? If you have 4 get the futures TMF's and run then in the rear boxes along with the JJG's for more speed and more air.
    '13 Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by jmbushey View Post
    Would you recommend jj groms on a neo too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ride the JJG's on my 4'6 nubstep and brought them with me to TX and rode the JJG fins on a fast custom 4'6 neo. I first tried the neo with the F4's and didn't like how much the fins stuck in the wave. I actually stopped my ride and swapped in the JJG's and was a lot happier. they're looser and faster and just make the boards more fun to ride. The owner of the board also commented on the fact that they were a lot looser. He cranked out a couple 720's and actually had one that he could have rode out if he wouldn't have been so tired at that point in our day.

I would love to try the blacksticks at some point, as they are supposedly faster and the JJG's are looser??? (my interpretation from the "ride number" thing. I think either way you can't go wrong. The f2's are more playful than the F4's and I'll never ride my F2's ever again now that I have the JJG's. Is $80 to $100 a lot? for some people it seems like it, but I think that on an expensive custom board if it can make it noticeably more fun, it's totally worth it.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I ride the JJG's on my 4'6 nubstep and brought them with me to TX and rode the JJG fins on a fast custom 4'6 neo. I first tried the neo with the F4's and didn't like how much the fins stuck in the wave. I actually stopped my ride and swapped in the JJG's and was a lot happier. they're looser and faster and just make the boards more fun to ride. The owner of the board also commented on the fact that they were a lot looser. He cranked out a couple 720's and actually had one that he could have rode out if he wouldn't have been so tired at that point in our day.

I would love to try the blacksticks at some point, as they are supposedly faster and the JJG's are looser??? (my interpretation from the "ride number" thing. I think either way you can't go wrong. The f2's are more playful than the F4's and I'll never ride my F2's ever again now that I have the JJG's. Is $80 to $100 a lot? for some people it seems like it, but I think that on an expensive custom board if it can make it noticeably more fun, it's totally worth it.
    Hey Tryason , what speed are surfing your nubstep at , we tried ours out yesterday its the 4'8 , ran it as 2 fin setup and it came with the f3 fins, we were running around 11-11.6 same speed and wave that we set up for our skim board ,and it seemed liked the nubstep rode low in the water, like it didn't want to float at all, would go to carve up the wave and would just sink into it, and when trying go out on the flat and carve back in , as soon as we would leave the base of the wave it would slow down and sink, was pretty hard to generate speed at mid wave , Are we running to slow for this style of board? My wife and I both had similar feelings on the board, but we only got one run each before one of the passengers chipped the nose, so quit using it till can get if fixed. was wondering if when you were trying out fins if you got to try the f3 or had similar experience with some of the fins you have tried. Thanks
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds

Quote Originally Posted by stevemarich View Post
    Hey Tryason , what speed are surfing your nubstep at , we tried ours out yesterday its the 4'8 , ran it as 2 fin setup and it came with the f3 fins, we were running around 11-11.6 same speed and wave that we set up for our skim board ,and it seemed liked the nubstep rode low in the water, like it didn't want to float at all, would go to carve up the wave and would just sink into it, and when trying go out on the flat and carve back in , as soon as we would leave the base of the wave it would slow down and sink, was pretty hard to generate speed at mid wave , Are we running to slow for this style of board? My wife and I both had similar feelings on the board, but we only got one run each before one of the passengers chipped the nose, so quit using it till can get if fixed. was wondering if when you were trying out fins if you got to try the f3 or had similar experience with some of the fins you have tried. Thanks
    I'm guessing it's not speed realated. The nubstep is listed a as a hybrid board and without putting my hands on one I would guess it has a med rail from about 8" in front of the fin box to the nose with 50/50 to 60/40 tuck. Rails have a huge affect on how a board performs. The shape of the rail determines how water flows over them when planning and turning. Unlike your hard rails on your skimmer that slide across the surface these rails will pull the board into the water on turns or when engaged in the wave face. Essentially slowing it down but for all the right reasons. It probably also has considerably more rocker also slowing the board down but again for the right reasons. By itself the board will be slower then a skimmer but if ridden correctly (which will feel like a lot more work) it can generate way more speed and much more progressive turns and airs.

Better fins will help. A lot of discussion on that.
    '13 Mojo

I agree. I've never thought the nubstep to be a slow board. It's of course a night and day difference between that and a skim board in how it drafts in the water.

I've honestly never had any trouble keeping like I couldn't keep up. In fact, I'm getting a solid workout on my rear legs from putting on the brakes and working the tail. I'd think that riding style needs to fit the board.

That said, we ride anywhere between 10 and 10.5 on paddlewheel perfect pass.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

ya have been browsing on fins, that makes sense , I wish we could have gotten more time on it, after riding a couple different surf style boards and my skimmer , figured it wouldn't take much to feel the board out enough to enjoy it , but sounds like just need more time on it ,probably was edging on the board more than should have been, Thanks
    2017 Craz surf auto wake
    1140 # rears wet sounds