Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doomswell Fins

Default Doomswell Fins

Wanted to see if anyone had feedback on fins for doomswell boards. Currently running stock. Wondering if changing the fins is worth the investment.?

yep futures blastix f4 definitely worth it

I hear the JJ fins are great too
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

Where is Trayson? I thought he got automatic notifications when Doomswell was typed in.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    Where is Trayson? I thought he got automatic notifications when Doomswell was typed in.
    LOL. Wow, did I exceed the 2 hour threshold?

That said, yes, I was recommended to change out the Futures F2 fins that came with my 4'6 Nubstep to the John John Grom fins, and I couldn't be happier. The board is faster, more responsive, looser. Just all around more fun and the upgrade was worth every penny.

My wife went from the Stock Futures F3 fins on her 4'4 Sparkplug to my old F2's. Eventually I'm sure she'll change up fins too.

We also did a "fin off" with my buddy riding the Futures F4, F3, F2, and then my John John Grom. He liked the F2's over the F4's. Didn't really care for the F3's. And he adored the John John Grom's which totally made his board and his riding come alive.
    Assortment of Futures F series fins.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Thanks for all the feedback. So, it seems like its blackstix 3.0 vs John John grom. Anyone else used either of each? I am on a 4'8" nubstep.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I got the Blackstix. They certainly gave the board more drive. When I lean forward, I can feel the difference from the stock fins. It is like the front foot is the gas pedal now. I had no trouble breaking them loose. In terms of spins, I didn't notice that much of a difference. I found I was able to recover from further back in the wake than I was able to previously with the stock fins.

https://futuresfins.com/innovation/ride-number/ That link should give you more information on the differences. The Blackstix fall in the upper category coming in at a 9.6 and are in the drive category. The JJ Groms are a 6.1 and are in the balanced category that focus more on control.

20170618_212133852_iOS.jpg20170618_212138856_iOS.jpg20170618_212812792_iOS.jpg
    Last edited by Poison; 07-12-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

I hope to try the Blackstix at some point. I'm just not quite really to throw the money at it when I'm so happy with the jjg's
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, WS Rev 410's, Polk Cabins, 3 Infinity Subs, PPI amps, WS420, Exile BT, upgraded ballast pumps, up to 3,500+ pounds of ballast, Blue LED's...
    1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.
    Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2009 Audic A6 Avant 3.0T, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, I got the Blackstix. They certainly gave the board more drive. When I lean forward, I can feel the difference from the stock fins. It is like the front foot is the gas pedal now. I had no trouble breaking them loose. In terms of spins, I didn't notice that much of a difference. I found I was able to recover from further back in the wake than I was able to previously with the stock fins.

https://futuresfins.com/innovation/ride-number/ That link should give you more information on the differences. The Blackstix fall in the upper category coming in at a 9.6 and are in the drive category. The JJ Groms are a 6.1 and are in the balanced category that focus more on control.

20170618_212133852_iOS.jpg20170618_212138856_iOS.jpg20170618_212812792_iOS.jpg
    Also worth mentioning that I'm riding mine as a dual fin (as opposed to the quad fin setup pictured above). And I'm also coming from an F2 fin, rather than coming from an F3 fin as above. My wife went from F3's to F2's on her sparkplug and it definitely let her carve a lot easier. My buddy that tried the F2, F3, and F4 didn't like the F3's and his board doesn't even have slots to make his a quad.

Hard to get apples to apples unless you have them all in your hands. That's for sure. It'd def be interesting to try the blackstix if they're supposedly even faster.

I like the aesthetics of the blaxstix better! The lime green doesn't really look right with my white/blue/black. haha.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I like the aesthetics of the blaxstix better! The lime green doesn't really look right with my white/blue/black. haha.

Yep blackstix. All about the looks $$$
    A Day at the Lake...Priceless
    A Day in Powder...Endless

Joe V
    2012 Möbius XLV~ Loaded & Exiled
    2007 Outback V ~ sold

I've never taken off the small fins and tried a 2 fin setup. I may give it a go this weekend and see how that feels.

I have to be honest, I was skeptical about how difference the fins would make...I thought it was one of those things that a pro might be able to tell the difference but probably not me with my weekend warrior level 9 status. But I can honestly say it improved the ride...and that's not just me trying rationalize spending that kind of scratch on fins. (Even though I would probably try to rationalize it like that if it hadn't but in this case I seriously saw a difference.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom