Default 2016 Helix Winching Problems

Embarrassing question but does anyone else have a hard time winching your boat all the way up onto the trailer? I'm a new owner and am struggling with how far to back up the trailer into the water when trying to load the boat. If I go too far the nose of the bow is too low and I can't crank the winch. If I don't back the trailer into the water as far the boat is too heavy to manually winch up all the way. The only option is to winch it as far as possible and then have the wife give it some gas to get it up the last foot or so. My family had a Sea Ray growing up and it was never an issue.

Is it just me or do other folks have to throttle it up too? I know it depends on the steepness of the ramp but I've been on two different ones now with the same result.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always have my wife or son loading boat and they always help me with a little throttle to get it the last foot or so. I had rather do that than have the back end floating around everywhere or the bow hitting the front of trailer. I usually back mine in until the bottom of the guide pads are about an inch or two deep in the water. Also depends on how steep ramp is.
    2016 Moomba Craz
    2014 Chaparral H2O 21 Sport
    1997 Sea Ray 175 Sport

I came from a 2008 moomba lsv that I had dialed in. The top of the fenders needed to be 1" under the water and would crank the boat on no issues. Perfect placement.

With the new mojo, I have had a few issues. What i have found is that the fenders 1" under is not enough. So far, we have Been putting the fenders 6" under and it is working better to winch the boat on
    '08 Mobius LSV- SOLD!
    2017 Mojo Pro

I back a little too deep to wet all the bunks real good then pull forward till my front bunks are just showing above the water. Drive right up to the winch stand and lock her down.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Ill keep experimenting. At least I'm not missing something easy.

I feel the same way I have a helix and it's different, I broke the strap the second time I used it. Here's what works best for me, the deeper the launch the better I back the trailer in deeper than usual and with it up to the bow hook good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jobu View Post
    I feel the same way I have a helix and it's different, I broke the strap the second time I used it. Here's what works best for me, the deeper the launch the better I back the trailer in deeper than usual and with it up to the bow hook good luck
    I feel the same way. When I try to back the trailer in deeper I obviously have problems keeping the boat centered on the trailer. I've had to go back after pulling the boat out of the water and try to recenter it because the edge of the stern floats out over the trailer fenders that help guide it in.

I've had to go back after pulling the boat out of the water and try to recenter it because the edge of the stern floats out over the trailer fenders that help guide it in.
    Been there with the Helix...
    DFTR Josh
    Supra/Moomba
    www.marine-products.com (Discount Code: DFTR-1)

I know this is a Helix thread but thought I'd share what my trailer bunks look like after less than a season of use. A caveat is that most of my trailering is done at a river ramp which had higher-than-usual current this spring which lends to "crab walking" the boat in sideways at times (probably the cause the large gouge in the felt on the right side). I've experimented with backing the trailer in deeper/shallower and at different angles depending on the river current and found that there is a much smaller window of error than my 2005 XLV had. Too deep and I'll have centering problems and too shallow tends to wear on the bunks. As a side note, my dealer cautioned me not to back the trailer in too deep because he has seen a couple of prop strikes on the trailer from this. Seems crazy-backwards to me that going deeper could cause a prop strike but I think I'll take his word for it. Also, while I don't consider myself to be a "professional boat trailerer" I do work from and drive a boat for a living and can assure you that none of the wear shown on the trailer is from excessive speed or recklessly cowboying onto the trailer.Trailer Bunks.jpgTrailer Bunds2.jpg
    2017 Mojo (sold)
    2005 Moomba XLV (sold)

If the trailer is too deep the hull does not "hit" the bunks and get guided/centered properly. An off center boat can easily lead to a prop strike on the trailer frame.

Take a look at this rear view pic of a boatmate trailer and imagine the prop a foot to one side or the other:

boatmate.jpeg
    Last edited by kaneboats; 07-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!