Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Muffler Exploded

Has anyone seen this happen before?

This happened on my 24 year old ski boat over the weekend. I ran the blower a few minutes before I tried to start the engine. As soon as it cranked over and fired, KABOOM!!! Luckily no one was hurt. I cannot find any info as to why. I believe there was probably gas fumes in the exhaust that ignited, and the blower only removes external fumes.

I am unable to find a replacement. Silent Rider is out of business. Sent an email to Larry at FAE for a custom muffler quote. Still waiting on his answer.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Straight pipe it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David

2017 Moomba Mojo Max Surf Edition, 2 Pair Wetsounds Rev10s powered by an SD2, 6 pair Wetsounds XS650M and Wetsounds XS12 powered by SD6 all controlled by a WS420. 2 Lumitec SeaBlaze X2 Spectrum underwater lights

SOLD***2008 Mobius LSV, Gravity III , Wake Plate, Z5, Exile SX65c's, Exile XM9s, Exile XI12D, Exile Javelin, Exile 30.2***SOLD

Why not clean it up and fibreglass patch it? You may also want to find the reason why there was a detonation, or was it some 24 year random malibu event?
    09 21v LAUNCH

99 Outback LS. Sold

run your engine after you change your oil
    68 th Member. WS420,HSE Revolution, OJ 466, Acme1157,1100 sacs,Kicker HLCD's n IX500.4, Supra Coolies
    Doug

I thought about fixing it, but there is so much more room to service the tranny with it gone. Couldn't find any info on the web about it exploding. Only things popping up were cars and trucks. No definite answers. Possible valve stuck open when spark plug ignited.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

Wow that's crazy. Would definitely concern me as to why It would do such a thing. But fix should be pretty straightforward to re-glass or custom options depending on price. Did it make ya jump?

2007 Moomba Outback - going, going, GONE
    2015 "NOT A MOOMBA"

Why Not? Play Hard! Get wet

Not me, but before I could look back to see what happened, my wife and boys were already out of the boat and on the dock.
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

I enjoy my FAE solution, straight piped. Since the outlet is underwater the interior sound is not much different than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I enjoy my FAE solution, straight piped. Since the outlet is underwater the interior sound is not much different than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    So I want to make sure we are thinking the same. Did you just add straight pipes, or did you add straight pipes plus the FAE tailpipe?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Joe

2014 LSV
    2010 Outback V - Sold
    1993 Echelon

There's an argument that straight pipes + FAE will be quieter b/c all the noise gets put in the water. I cooked my muffler last summer and learned of that option only aft I paid for a new OEM muffler... you can get Stainless pipes in various bends from Summit/JEGS, etc.
    2007 LSV
    2315 Acme prop
    Gravity III + 3 Johnsons
    1100s in the rear, IBS upfront
    Stock bags under the seats
    HDPE Surf Platform

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    There's an argument that straight pipes + FAE will be quieter b/c all the noise gets put in the water. I cooked my muffler last summer and learned of that option only aft I paid for a new OEM muffler... you can get Stainless pipes in various bends from Summit/JEGS, etc.
    Put straight pipes on there, I'm sure everyone on the lake will love it.. Not..
    http://www.instgram.com/jlyons30
    2002 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV - Sold
    2017 Moomba Craz - Enzos, Lead