Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Installed Indmar sea strainer

I was able to get rid of two 90 degree bends. One on the stock strainer is gone and the one coming up through the hull is gone. My through hull had a 90 attached to it with NO seacok. I added the seacok, new hoses and the strainer.

I found that it is running a decent bit cooler, maybe 15-20 degrees on average. I think getting rid of those 90 degrees plus the larger through put volume of the Indmar strainer has increased flow. I have noticed this since I installed it over a month ago. It seems to be working well.

The only down side is I am not sure how you empty it while in the water without spilling it while on the water. I put it on my lift to empty it because all of the water drains down and out so no problem. You can't remove the "bowl" part but you can put a container under it to catch the water. Does anyone have a good solution for that?

The screen comes out easily. I haven't used the flush fitting but I am REALLY looking forward to not having to climb under the boat with the toilet plunger again.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    Full Wake Makers upgraded ballast and pumps
    1,100 in each rear locker
    1,180 in front
    OJ 1435 prop, 325 EFI Indmar Assult.
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Have pics?

Do you have the 340 CAT/ETX or the 325 Assault?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games Edition
    340HP CAT/ETX
    ACME 1235 / Fresh Air Exhaust
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform
    Slingshot Hooke, Doomswell Neo, Phase 5 Hammerhead, Parker Surfcraft Phantom

I don't. I won't see the boat for the next two weekends. It is horizontal over the V-drive. Really limited as to how I could mount it but it seemed like the best way to go. The only other option would be for the intake side to point down and that would be tough to catch the water rather than just let it in the bilge. It really isn't that big a deal, there is only about a cup of water in that filter anyway.

Do these boats not come with seacoks at all or was mine removed?
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Is it this one? http://www.indmar.com/mobile/experie...ion_Award.aspx

Funny that the part itself has 1 x 90 deg bend. I would like to do one of these. I always hate sliding under the trailer with the plunger.
    340HP CAT/ETX
    1180 Front, 1100s Rear, 400 under Surf Side Seat, Homemade Suckgate, Custom Surf Platform

That is the one. Some people are using the Perko Flush Pro Valve for flushing. For boats without the seacok that is the way to go as it automatically stops flow out of the inlet on the bottom of the hull; but you still need the strainer. I wanted to have a shutoff on there in case there was some catastrophic cooling system failure.
    I could have done without any 90* bends as that actually made it more difficult for me plus is is just more resistance in the system but I am sure that was compensated for. I just have an aversion to 90* bends

I am with ya! I am so looking forward to not crawling under there and having to adjust the plunger when it moves withe water on the ground at the end of October.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Mine does not have a seacock on that thru-hull. Did you just splice it into that main intake line?

20170710_234223067_iOS.jpg
    340HP CAT/ETX

I had an engineer friend years ago who claimed each 90 degree fitting created the same resistance as an additional 15' section of pipe.

He proceeded to dig up and remove as many 90's in his pool plumbing as he could find. There was a current in his pool when he was finished

I can see how your boat might run cooler with the improved flow.
    2008 Moomba Outback DD resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Mine does not have a seacock on that thru-hull. Did you just splice it into that main intake line?

20170710_234223067_iOS.jpg
    Hey sorry I didn't see this! I ended up cutting off the 90* from the thru hull. I ended up using a right angle grinder and cut it off. At least yours is pointing toward the bow. I attached the seacok directly to the thru hull vertically. That was the hard way to do it. I would feel better even having it spliced into the system like you are talking about. At least there is only one short hose that way. Maybe it is just me but it worries me not having a way to cut that inlet. I have 4 inlets in the bottom and all 4 have ball valves now.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I had an engineer friend years ago who claimed each 90 degree fitting created the same resistance as an additional 15' section of pipe.

He proceeded to dig up and remove as many 90's in his pool plumbing as he could find. There was a current in his pool when he was finished

I can see how your boat might run cooler with the improved flow.
    I have a plumber friend who said basically the same thing. Not sure how many feet he said it added but I was surprised. Same with corrugated bendy piping as well. At minimum use a 90* bend rather than a right angle.
    2007 XLV Gravity Games
    1,180 in front
    Fresh Air Exhaust
    SuckG8
    Bunch of other crap

Quote Originally Posted by 5:00 View Post
    use a 90* bend rather than a right angle.
    Uhhh. I took some math once upon a time but I really don't get this.
    My Mom said I'm not allowed to get wet!
    2008 LSV (sold)
    2000 Outback LS (sold)
    LLTR!!!!!!!!