Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surfing with stock ballast???

As some may know, I just bought a 2015 Mondo Surf Edition with man flow. I'd like to start this thread to talk about surfing using stock ballast. I know a lot of you are putting in bigger bags but I'm sure there are guys that can talk about their success using what comes stock. Please share as I'm learning every day. I've been filling all 2300 lbs with flow surf on the second setting and getting a sweet regular side wave, haven't tried goofy yet. I've only been out twice and I'm still trying to find my footing, hoping this Saturday will be the ropeless day! Anyway, post some sweet stock success! Thanks.

Check speed against GPS, keep fuel tank full, invite 8 friends, sit a couple in the bow, slight list to surf side, middle position on flow, turn up surf tunes.... And remember, it's a killer wakeboard boat, go ride the line!
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

We still have stock 2015 Mondo with surf package. 3/4 full for front ballast, 3/4 full for non surf side rear, full ballast surf side seat. Wake plate all the way up (for push) and 9.8 MPH should get you a good wave with passengers sitting surf side.
    2015 Mondo - surf edition w/autoflow

I'll have around 10 in the boat tomorrow so that should show me what extra weight can do.

i have 2 daughters 120 and 105 lbs and they can surf ropelesss on my stock helix set up. I cannot at 225 lbs. Ive had a crew of 10 American sized adults and could not go ropeless very easily with stock.

I upgraded to 1100s and had a seam rip this weekend. luckily I had a stock bag in the boat with me. I put the good 1100 on surf side and stock 650 on the port, I had a light crew of 2 100lb girls and my wife at 140 drove. (God help me if she reads this, because we all know she is still 120) and I surfed hopeless with ease

I get where your going with this post and Im thinking it had a lot to do with weight placement. I will be honest there were a lot of surf boats out yesterday and I would not trade any wake I saw for my helix with a 1100 and stock bag port set up, we were killing it out there even with 1 of the girls being goofy. I was on Gull lake MI and it was choppy, we all were hopeless with ease all day.

I am curious to hear how it went for you and your large crew, my opinion is that the weight properly placed is more significant than total weight. I might be wrong, just saying. Im pretty confident I have my boat dialed in and I think the upgraded ballast are a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jobu View Post
    i have 2 daughters 120 and 105 lbs and they can surf ropelesss on my stock helix set up. I cannot at 225 lbs. Ive had a crew of 10 American sized adults and could not go ropeless very easily with stock.

I upgraded to 1100s and had a seam rip this weekend. luckily I had a stock bag in the boat with me. I put the good 1100 on surf side and stock 650 on the port, I had a light crew of 2 100lb girls and my wife at 140 drove. (God help me if she reads this, because we all know she is still 120) and I surfed hopeless with ease

I get where your going with this post and Im thinking it had a lot to do with weight placement. I will be honest there were a lot of surf boats out yesterday and I would not trade any wake I saw for my helix with a 1100 and stock bag port set up, we were killing it out there even with 1 of the girls being goofy. I was on Gull lake MI and it was choppy, we all were hopeless with ease all day.

I am curious to hear how it went for you and your large crew, my opinion is that the weight properly placed is more significant than total weight. I might be wrong, just saying. Im pretty confident I have my boat dialed in and I think the upgraded ballast are a beautiful thing.
    Truthfully I'm not sure how it went. I had a nice looking wave but I'm a rookie when I comes to surfing. I could feel a push for a few seconds and then I would fall back. Goofy wave was a bit harder to dial in. I tried a bunch of different weight setups. I wish I could get an experienced driver in my boat to show me what a good wave is!! Anyway, did you swap bags back and forth from side to side to get a good wave (reg and goofy)? Did you fill both full (1100 and 650)? I'm thinking I might just buy new bags.

yes I filled both bags 100% on Friday, when I have both 1100 working in the boat I fill them at 100% and 80% or both at 100% (front middle at 100% always to legthen the wave) Surfing is easy as long as you have slack in the rope and put weight on the front foot without burring the board your going to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by jobu View Post
    yes I filled both bags 100% on Friday, when I have both 1100 working in the boat I fill them at 100% and 80% or both at 100% (front middle at 100% always to legthen the wave) Surfing is easy as long as you have slack in the rope and put weight on the front foot without burring the board your going to get it!
    Does the back of your boat dig in pretty good with the 1100's? I have 1000 (500 centre and 500 bow) of factory ballast, I'm hoping that is plenty and don't have to upgrade that. Seems like a tough thing to try and get a good wave, especially when it's your first wake boat.

To be honest, you don't need a good driver to show you a good wave, you need a good rider that knows what it is suppose to feel like and help you get it dialed in and give you pointers on what to look for. Premier watersports in Knoxville, TN has a blog on their page that explains it all pretty well. You may also consider contacting your dealer to send someone out with you. Last thing they want is a boat out there that people are not having fun on. Where are you located?
    2018 Supra SA400 aka The Ron Burgandy
    2011 Sea-Doo Wake 155
    2015 Mojo Surf, sold...2013 Axis A22 Recon Edition, sold...2010 Axis A22, sold...2007 Maxum 1800sr3, sold

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxMojo View Post
    To be honest, you don't need a good driver to show you a good wave, you need a good rider that knows what it is suppose to feel like and help you get it dialed in and give you pointers on what to look for. Premier watersports in Knoxville, TN has a blog on their page that explains it all pretty well. You may also consider contacting your dealer to send someone out with you. Last thing they want is a boat out there that people are not having fun on. Where are you located?
    I'm up in northern Canada. 4.5 hrs from the dealership. You're right on the rider thing, I'm not sure what I should be feeling or what to look for. First things, will I be good with 1100's rear and 500 centre/500bow? I'll order them tomorrow if so and then see if I can find a rider that knows what they're doing.